SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2007, 02:56 PM   #1
vue04
vue04 is on a distinguished road

Default Best way to change coolant in a 2004 V-6

Has anyone changed the coolant on a 2004-2007 V-6 Vue? I didn't see a drain plug under the radiator.

What's the best way to do this?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vue04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vue04 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-09-2007, 03:07 PM   #2
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line
Default Re: Best way to change coolant in a 2004 V-6

The plug is on the side of the radiator on the passenger side in a recess.

Drain the coolant and with the petcock open, start pouring regular tap water through the system until it runs clear in the drain. Let the water continue to drain. Close petcock. Refill with a 50/50 coolant/distilled water mix to the cold fill line and leave the coolant expansion tank cap off. Start engine, turn heater to full hot and run the engine between idle and 3k rpm until fully warmed while adding your mix to the tank. Once engine is fully warmed and the tank level is up to the cold fill line and stays there, put the cap on tightly. Let the engine completely cool and check the coolant level and return to cold fill line.

Check the coolant level first thing in the morning over the next couple days to maintain it at the cold fill line.

That's it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 07:31 PM   #3
djb383
Advanced Member
djb383 is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE 3.5L

Hummmm, not sure about that. When I drained my rad, about 1/2 of the coolant capacity (5 qts) will drain through the rad petcock leaving the other 1/2 in the block. So, if you flush the system you now have water only in the block and if you add a 50/50 diluted mix you will end up with a 75/25 water to coolant ratio which is a little weak. However if you fill the system with non-diluted coolant, then the coolant will mix with the water in the block for the proper 50/50 ratio. No more DEX for me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to djb383's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
djb383 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2007, 08:42 PM   #4
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by djb383 View Post
No more DEX for me.

What did you use for antifreeze? I see your coolant is yellow...

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 09:58 AM   #5
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

That looks like the new yellow stuff Ford is using. I urge you to not change coolant type in any vehicle with Dexcool originally in it without a full pressure flush*. If Dexcool is maintained properly in a sound cooling system, it will work fine. Dexcool should not be mixed with tap water, and any pressure or vacuum leak in the system must be repaired immediately to prevent air in the system. To check for such leaks, simply verify that the coolant level in the surge tank is at least 1/2" higher on a hot engine than the cold level. If the system holds sufficient pressure and vacuum to move the coolant as it expands and contracts, it's sealed.
Here's what I plan to do on my 2003; on a cold engine, pull the lower hose off the radiator; if necessary, drain the fluid from the surge tank; replace lower hose and pull upper hose off radiator; using a funnel, fill the radiator with pre-mixed Dexcool/distilled water; replace upper hose; fill surge tank with pre-mix; wash down coolant from engine area; start engine - monitor fluid level in surge tank and add pre-mix as necessary until engine is warmed up and thermostat has opened; monitor fluid level in surge tank daily after overnight cooling and add as required until cold level stabilizes. This method is not a flush and doesn't change all the coolant, but is intended to be repeated annually.
*Remember, no tap water, so a power flush is really not feasible.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 11:07 AM   #6
djb383
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobbyP View Post
What did you use for antifreeze? I see your coolant is yellow...
Prestone Extended Life.....safe for all makes, all models, all colors and all metals. I drained, circulated and refilled w/distilled water 5 times (to remove the DEX) and last fill was with 100% (not diluted) coolant as about 1/2 of the system capacity stays in the block. This will give a correct 50/50 mix. This process is cheap (distilled water $0.65/gal), easy to do, just takes a while to do it with 5 drains, refills and circulates 'till t-stat opens each time. Now that I've done this, I figure I can, once a year, just drain what will come out (about 1/2) and add back 50/50 pre-diluted Prestone Extended Life coolant to maintain a fresh fill year-round and shouldn't take more than 10 minutes to do so.

Last edited by djb383; 03-10-2007 at 11:17 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help djb383 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2007, 01:39 PM   #7
vue04

I changed out my coolant with Prestone Extended Life. The peacock is on the side of the radiator, passenger side. It has a "+" type screw type to open. I also found out the overflow tank is really part of the cooling system, as the cap acts as the radiator cap. If you look at it, it has the spring and metal parts in the plastic housing.

I plan to do a drain and fill every year. I personally think that 100K no maintenance schedule is for marketing purposes and to lower the perceived cost of ownership to win auto awards. It is important to change ATF (transmission fluid) every 20 to 30K.

I read the bottle of Prestone Extended Life nd it contains the same active ingredients as Prestone Dex-Cool. I wonder if it is the same but can't use the Dex Cool trademark?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help vue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-10-2007, 07:28 PM   #8
vue04

Since I changed my coolant, I wanted to air up the tires. While airing up the tires I noticed I was leaking coolant from the drain plug.

Needless to say, as soon as I got home, I examined it. Basically, the drain plug is on the side of the radiator in a awkward position to tighten. I had thought I tighten it, and to my amazement, I barely tighten it.

I had to unscrew 3 screws from the air dam to get better access to the drain plug. This time I was able to screw around 20 times to get it closed.

So for anyone doing this, save yourself the trouble and take off everything in the way and do it right the first time. Well, no harm no foul.

2004 Vue V-6 FWD 48K (knock on wood).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-10-2007, 08:02 PM   #9
BobbyP
Master Member
BobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really niceBobbyP is just really nice

2006 VUE Red Line
2007 SKY

Quote:
Originally Posted by vue04 View Post
I changed out my coolant with Prestone Extended Life. The peacock is on the side of the radiator, passenger side. It has a "+" type screw type to open. I also found out the overflow tank is really part of the cooling system, as the cap acts as the radiator cap. If you look at it, it has the spring and metal parts in the plastic housing.

I plan to do a drain and fill every year. I personally think that 100K no maintenance schedule is for marketing purposes and to lower the perceived cost of ownership to win auto awards. It is important to change ATF (transmission fluid) every 20 to 30K.

I read the bottle of Prestone Extended Life nd it contains the same active ingredients as Prestone Dex-Cool. I wonder if it is the same but can't use the Dex Cool trademark?
Thanks for your tips on the petcock location and access.

Dex-cool under a different name... Dex-cool is a GM trademark. It's manufactured by Texaco for GM.

ATF change interval all depends on how hot your engine gets. Heat ages the ATF. I'm going to change my ATF fluid at 10k miles. It's very easy on the Honda-matic(MJ7).

2006 Black VUE Red Line - Now running iOS 7 Beta 7

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BobbyP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BobbyP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BobbyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2007, 08:46 PM   #10
djb383
Advanced Member

2006 VUE 3.5L

Keeping the tranny cool? No problemo.

http://img383.imageshack.us/my.php?i...pim03433ua.jpg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-11-2007, 02:17 PM   #11
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by vue04 View Post
Since I changed my coolant, I wanted to air up the tires. While airing up the tires I noticed I was leaking coolant from the drain plug.

Needless to say, as soon as I got home, I examined it. Basically, the drain plug is on the side of the radiator in a awkward position to tighten. I had thought I tighten it, and to my amazement, I barely tighten it.

I had to unscrew 3 screws from the air dam to get better access to the drain plug. This time I was able to screw around 20 times to get it closed.

So for anyone doing this, save yourself the trouble and take off everything in the way and do it right the first time. Well, no harm no foul.

2004 Vue V-6 FWD 48K (knock on wood).
This is why I suggested just taking the lower hose loose from the radiator. It's easy to get to and dumps it fast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2007, 02:34 PM   #12
vue04

In this case I think taking off the lower hose is easier. You have full access and dumps quickly.

The only reason I used the peacock/drain screw is because was designed for it, not a good design. Plus pulling and yanking on a metal/plastic radiator may cause undue stress, that is why i was shy about using the lower hose as the outlet. But in case, it's better to go the lower hose.

In addition, the drain screw is plastic and using a large phillips head, easy to strip, probably can go 10 times before it gets rounded.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!