SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2008, 12:03 PM   #41
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Changing ION ignition switch

yup, Ion 03, RL 04, slowbalt (I effing hate those things) 05, and now slowbalt turbo (hopefully GM makes a kit for the ion)

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-24-2008, 01:59 PM   #42
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2

Its the same motor isn't it? Just swap the turbo over and do both super charged and turbo... u might blow something, but ehh... its easy to find ion parts, you guys can't drive, they're crashed in junkyards every where... lol jfwy.

No, a buddy of mine has a "stock" cobalt. A big fart can muffler not catback and an intake.... oh and a cheap $15 racing chip from ebay...

So he gets the balls one night to say his cobalt was faster then my 1st gen coupe... I laughed so hard I almost started drooling

So we go out to a light after arguing for about an hour and a half

1st gear- I let him leave the light, I wait 3 seconds take off.
Catch him before 1st is done (I have an auto and so does he... except my gear ends at almost 45mph)

2nd gear- now I am 4 cars on him and climbing so I let off... let him pass nail it again, now six cars infront... 2nd ends at low 70 something...

3rd gear- Can no longer see he head lights and I am at 105.

I had more mods back then, but even at this set up I would still rock him. I am waiting to get new cars for me and my fiance, then I am tearing it down to forge and pnp and then 150-200 shot... probably a 200.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2008, 02:03 PM   #43
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=131040

if he can run boost and n2o on that setup then I can run a 200 shot.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-24-2008, 03:00 PM   #44
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you're forgetting one thing, you don't have "gears", but I know what you mean, it must cycle certain ranges to simulate gears. Also, I'd convert to the aisin 5 speed or manual if you're going to put nitrous or boost on your car, the CVTs fail soon enough without that extra stress.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-26-2008, 07:29 AM   #45
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
Also, I'd convert to the aisin 5 speed or manual if you're going to put nitrous or boost on your car, the CVTs fail soon enough without that extra stress.
I am going to if I cannot find my 1st gen wagon that I want to do it in.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-26-2008, 08:47 AM   #46
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

sorry, just realized you're talking about s series, which don't have CVTs.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-26-2008, 09:04 AM   #47
OnDaGround
Master Member

1993 SC2

LOL... yeah, can't get myself into the new Gm stuff. So that's why I am going Subby. I have taken one out for a test drive and got the service contract prices and simple stuff like brakes, wires plugs and what not. So I have a general idea.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-26-2008, 03:09 PM   #48
18gibbs20
18gibbs20 is on a distinguished road

Count me in as another satisfied Forum customer. My nephew has a 2003 ION that has had this problem for years. He and his father have gone through batteries and the works trying to get it fixed. I poked around online, found this thread and $40 and 40 minutes later the switch is replaced and the car is starting just fine on this cole late December day.

Just fyi, I did have to do the passlock reset sequence. It worked like a charm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2 View Post
Rmove the upper steering column bezel. (pull up)
remove the lower left bezel (7mm)
Remove the ign switch. (t15 torx IIRC)

Install reverse of removal.

To relearn passlock, turn the key to run, then turn back to ACC. Leave like that for 10 mins, do again, then do again. Takes about 30 mins to complete. When 3 cycles complete, turn off car completely for at least 30 seconds. then start car.

Also, if car is a stick, make sure to push clutch when attempting to "start" at beginning of each cycle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 18gibbs20's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 18gibbs20 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
18gibbs20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 08:24 AM   #49
jasonl
jasonl is on a distinguished road

Hi I am a little confused about this whole post. I have seen all over the internet the problems with the Saturn passlock. So far my 05 hasn't failed me (I got it 2 months ago), maybe it was replaced by the previous owner. So can some one clarify the igniton switch description? Is it a little box that sits behind the ignition lock cylinder ?? From reading some peoples post it sounds to me the ignition switch and lock cylinder are all one. Are these in fact two seperate pieces?? Also where is everybody bying their igniton switches from ?? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasonl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasonl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jasonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 11:57 AM   #50
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you mean you haven't had an ignition switch problem yet, passlock is just software. the ignition switch and key lock cylinder are two parts, but part of an assembly, so they kinda look like one piece if you don't know what you're looking at. You buy them from saturn or online, where did you think you bought them?

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2009, 02:23 PM   #51
jasonl
jasonl is on a distinguished road

That is what i wasn't sure of them being two pieces. At first in other post, I thought the lock cylinder/ switch were all one unit. Thank's for clearing that up. I didn't know if this was a Saturn only part or people were buying them from parts stores and/or online like ebay etc.. So far, no I haven't had a problem with mine and it has been below zero about 1 week so far this year. It has been near freezing or slightly below almost the entire time I have owned it, but like I stated earlier I have only had the car 2 months.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jasonl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jasonl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jasonl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:01 AM   #52
utopiarun
utopiarun is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have been having this cold weather start problem this week as the temp has been around or below 20. I have read these posts about the ignition switch fix. My problem is that I have 2 left hands, I really don't feel confident about trying to fix this myself. Is this fix something simple or is there some kind of picture description that I could use?

Does the repair have to be done by Saturn or can I bring it to my local repair shop if I decide to go that route?

Are there any quick fix remedies that I could use until I get this fixed as I am low on money at this point due to Xmas. This morning I shifted into first gear (I have a 5 speed manual) and started it and it worked.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to utopiarun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help utopiarun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
utopiarun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 10:26 AM   #53
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you can do it yourself, it's so easy a brain-dead caveman can do it, lol. There are step by steps on this forum, just look.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM   #54
utopiarun

I'm glad you're convinced that I have better motor skills than a brain-dead caveman! Because I'm not! Can I get the part in any auto parts store or do I have to get it from Saturn because all the Saturns that were near me aren't there anymore.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help utopiarun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2009, 01:58 PM   #55
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you can get it online, read through this thread, the site is somewhere

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2009, 09:20 AM   #56
utopiarun

Can someone please tell me what site to go to to get this switch? I checked around on the web but I don't know who is reputable.

Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-21-2009, 01:51 PM   #57
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

rockauto.com

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-05-2009, 12:01 AM   #58
smoothrider
smoothrider is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by utopiarun View Post
Hi, I have been having this cold weather start problem this week as the temp has been around or below 20. I have read these posts about the ignition switch fix. My problem is that I have 2 left hands, I really don't feel confident about trying to fix this myself. Is this fix something simple or is there some kind of picture description that I could use?

Does the repair have to be done by Saturn or can I bring it to my local repair shop if I decide to go that route?

Are there any quick fix remedies that I could use until I get this fixed as I am low on money at this point due to Xmas. This morning I shifted into first gear (I have a 5 speed manual) and started it and it worked.

Thanks
Do-It-Youself confidence builder:

Removing the Saturn Ion Ignition Switch in Youtube

Youtube HD version

and/or

Just remove the excess grease and see?(Youtube)

Youtube HD version

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to smoothrider's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help smoothrider reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
smoothrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 02:10 PM   #59
jaynickg
jaynickg is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Hi Everyone,

I've been following this thread very closely as I am also experiencing this issue with my 2003 Saturn Ion 2. This is my first posting.

First of all, I would like to thank you all very much for posting all this information. If it weren't for you, my dealership would have charged me thousands of dollars for the repair because they didn't know what the problem was. I got all kinds of reasons from them as to why the car wasn't starting: cold weather, starter, alternator (not sure how this would stop the car fom starting), bad remote starter instalation, fuses, the key itself, etc.

Anyways, I replaced the ignition switch and followed all the instructions to the letter. Now, everytime I try to start the car, I get this ticking sound from the bottom of the car. The sound is coming from the bottom of the engine, almost exactly behind the gas pedal.

Did I do something wrong? What can I do to fix this?

Thanks again for all your help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaynickg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaynickg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaynickg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2009, 05:27 PM   #60
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I think you are just hearing the injectoes, there's nothing down there to tick, at least nothing associated with the ignition switch. If something is wrong, it's not your fault.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!