SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-31-2006, 08:43 AM   #1
konissan
konissan is on a distinguished road

1997 SC2
Default Re: Rear window defogger control "switch" - still continuted

New Yearís Greetings from Japan!

In reference to my SC2(97)ís rear window defogger problem (first posted on November 25), the control switch was finally replaced at a local service shop. They found that current started running, but did not reach to the rear window defogger. As many people here had already indicated, there must be something wrong with the chime module.

They tried to connect the cable directly (not through the chime module) to the cable to the rear window defogger, and then the window became warm. However, this is dangerous because it is not possible without the switch to stop warming. They will place an order for a new chime module after the New Year holidays.

On the other hand, my son (now back home) succeeded to access the chime module box (an orange one). He detached and attached it, but nothing happened. Do we have to obtain a new chime module? Otherwise, please let us know a better solution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to konissan's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help konissan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
konissan is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-31-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

You could try getting some contact cleaner at an electrical supply and clean the plug on the chime module really well. That might do it but, you'll probably need a chime module.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2006, 01:18 PM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by konissan View Post
New Yearís Greetings from Japan!

In reference to my SC2(97)ís rear window defogger problem (first posted on November 25), the control switch was finally replaced at a local service shop. They found that current started running, but did not reach to the rear window defogger. As many people here had already indicated, there must be something wrong with the chime module.

They tried to connect the cable directly (not through the chime module) to the cable to the rear window defogger, and then the window became warm. However, this is dangerous because it is not possible without the switch to stop warming. They will place an order for a new chime module after the New Year holidays.

On the other hand, my son (now back home) succeeded to access the chime module box (an orange one). He detached and attached it, but nothing happened. Do we have to obtain a new chime module? Otherwise, please let us know a better solution.
Your mechanics would have checked all of the fuses in the car? If not then it should be done.

This is from the 1998 service manual which provide information that is very close to or the same as your car.

Rear Defogger Diagnosis
Fuses
IGN3 Fuse

Type: 10A Minifuse

Feeds: Circuit 641 and RR DEFOG relay coil

If one of the following systems is operating normally, the fuse is most likely good.

Circuits fed by the HVAC fuse:

Generator
Power windows
A/C
DRL
If the fuse is blown determine the cause of the blown fuse and repair.

Replace fuse as needed.

RR DEFOG Fuse

Type: 30A Minifuse

Feeds: Circuit 1240

If one of the following systems is operating normally, the fuse is most likely good.

Rear defog relay
Rear defog element
If the fuse is blown determine the cause of the blown fuse and repair.

Replace fuse as needed.

Grounds
Before checking the ground circuit from the switch all the way to the ground stud, check the circuit from the splice pack to ground by testing some of the other subsystems grounded by the same splice pack. If the other subsystems function properly, it is most likely that the path from the splice pack to ground is good, or at least one of the paths is good with redundantly ground splice packs.

I/P Splice Pack #1

The systems grounded to I/P splice Pack #1 are grounded redundantly with I/P Splice Pack #2 at ground point location D, I/P chassis ground. If one of the following systems is operating normally, the ground circuit is most likely good.

The eransaxle shift program switch
The I/P dimmer
The cruise control
The cigar lighter element
Check for OPENS/SHORTS

Repair as needed.

Left Rear Body Ground Splice Pack

The Left Rear Body Ground Splice Pack provides a ground path for the rear body and liftgate harnesses. If one of the following systems is operating normally, the ground circuit is most likely good.

License, CHMSL, cargo lamps
Fuel pump
Washer pump (Wagon)
Check for OPENS/SHORTS

Repair as needed.

Components
RR Defog Relay

The window RR Defog, fog lamp and A/C relays are interchangeable with each other.

Substitute another relay to see if the problem is fixed.

Repair/replace as needed.

Rear Defog Switch (Part of POD Switches)

Check the defogger ON indicator. It should light when the rear defogger switch is ON. The indicator should not be lit with the rear defogger switch OFF.

The RR Defog relay should click when the rear defog switch is turned ON and click again when the rear defogger system times out or is turned OFF.

Check rear defog switch resistance.

Switch resistance: Open when rear defogger is OFF. Less than 1 ohm when rear defog switch is pressed ON.

If the ON indicator has failed the whole switch must be replaced. If the dimming bulb has failed, it can be replaced separately.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2007, 07:17 AM   #4
konissan

1997 SC2

Scissorman, thanks so much for your advice.

My son and I conducted the following Diagnoses:

1) 10A was detected on IGN3 Fuse (Location: IPJB).

2) 30A was detected on RR DEFOG Fuse (Location: UHJB).

So far so that...

Konissan
Osaka, Japan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help konissan reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-20-2007, 08:47 AM   #5
konissan

1997 SC2
Default Re: Rear window defogger control "switch" - a Japanese solution

[QUOTE=ssicarman;970116]Your mechanics would have checked all of the fuses in the car? If not then it should be done. This is from the 1998 service manual which provide information that is very close to or the same as your car.

Yesterday my Saturnís rear defogger problem (first posted on November 25, 2006) as well as all the chime problems were finally solved at the local garage. The mechanic replaced the chime module, and checked the related harnesses and relays. Now I can turn on the defogger control switch and see the indicator light. I can also hear the sounds of chime.

Ssicarman, I translated your quote from the 1998 service manual, and handed it to the mechanics for the diagnosis yesterday. It was very helpful. Thank you very much.

For your information, the cost of this repair is as described below:
A new rear defogger control switch, imported: 2,210 yen
A new chime control unit (chime module), imported: 3090 yen
Replacement and diagnosis: 10,000 yen
Total cost: approx. USD135.00

I deeply appreciate all the American Saturn fans who had given me valuable information in this forum. My Saturn is aging - Iím sure Iíll need your support and advice again in near future.

Cheers!

Konissan
Osaka, Japan

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-20-2007, 12:48 PM   #6
andy_95sl2
Master Member
andy_95sl2 is on a distinguished road

Konnisan,

Congratulations on getting the problems solved! At first, when i saw 2,200 yen, i thought they were raping you on charges, but then i thought oh yeah, there could be like, 2000 yen and be $50 USD. Either way, CONGRATS!

2004 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon -> daily & toy =)
2009 BMW 128i -> sold
2003 VW GTI 1.8T -> wrecked
1998 Saturn SL2 -> parted out
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold
1995 Saturn SL2 -> sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andy_95sl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andy_95sl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andy_95sl2 is offline   Reply With Quote