SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-18-2006, 12:00 AM   #1
addicted2mickey
addicted2mickey is on a distinguished road

Attention Flashing Check Engine Light - 2004 Vue

Has anyone had this problem?

When I tried turning on my Vue a few days ago, she had a hard time starting. It sounded like a dead battery. When she finally did start, I had a 'check engine' light come on. When I tried to drive her, acceleration was very sluggish and the 'check engine' light began flashing. I heard a "putt putt" type of sound under the hood.
We replaced the spark plugs that night ---no fix---
We rented an OBDII code reader and it wouldn't come up with any code.

It's going to cost me $80 to read her codes at the dealership PLUS another $75 to have her towed there. Then heaven knows what the repair costs are going to be!! If it's the fuel filter, they are now located in the gas tank with a repair cost of over $350.
(If I would have known this, I would have purchased an earlier model)
One of the reasons we've loved our Saturns all these years is because we could do the repairs ourselves for 1/10 of the cost. Now we're stumped.

This is a 2004 Vue with 39K miles on her (just over the warranty of course!)
Does anyone have an idea of what this could be?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to addicted2mickey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help addicted2mickey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
addicted2mickey is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-18-2006, 12:56 AM   #2
Ritz
Master Member
Ritz has a spectacular aura aboutRitz has a spectacular aura about

2006 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Flashing Check Engine Light - 2004 Vue

Quote:
Originally Posted by addicted2mickey View Post
Has anyone had this problem?

When I tried turning on my Vue a few days ago, she had a hard time starting. It sounded like a dead battery. When she finally did start, I had a 'check engine' light come on. When I tried to drive her, acceleration was very sluggish and the 'check engine' light began flashing. I heard a "putt putt" type of sound under the hood.
We replaced the spark plugs that night ---no fix---
We rented an OBDII code reader and it wouldn't come up with any code.

It's going to cost me $80 to read her codes at the dealership PLUS another $75 to have her towed there. Then heaven knows what the repair costs are going to be!! If it's the fuel filter, they are now located in the gas tank with a repair cost of over $350.
(If I would have known this, I would have purchased an earlier model)
One of the reasons we've loved our Saturns all these years is because we could do the repairs ourselves for 1/10 of the cost. Now we're stumped.

This is a 2004 Vue with 39K miles on her (just over the warranty of course!)
Does anyone have an idea of what this could be?
The flashing CEL is telling you that one or more of your cylinders is misfiring. Strange that there's no code stored. Without that information, it's pretty hard to be very helpful. Had you recently gassed up someplace new? A bad load of gas could cause that. You say you've changed the plugs, did you check to make sure they were all getting spark?

Cheers,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Ritz's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Ritz reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Ritz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2006, 12:19 AM   #3
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Welcome to the Board.

DO not drive the car with the SES light flashing. Try not to run it with the SES light flashing.

It will ruin your catalytic converter.

You did not give the engine size but more than likely it is the four cylinder from what you say is happening.
It is more than likley your ignition module that is bad. I would reccomend replacing the module and the plugs. See if you local Saturn service department will goodwill any of the repair with you see as you are not out of warrenty by very much.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2007, 10:14 PM   #4
addicted2mickey

Wrench Re: Flashing Check Engine Light - 2004 Vue (((UPDATE)))

I finally took my terrible 2004 P.O.S. Vue to a mechanic. The problem with the engine not starting was due to the ignition control module which we fixed ourselves at a cost of $110. A week after that was repaired, my clutch pedal went all the way to the floor without any resistance and I couldn't put it into gear... so the entire clutch system had to be replaced at a cost of $1,100. Now, just 2 months after that has been fixed, I have a leak in the fuel line near the transmission.

Both of my previous Saturns (1994 & 1999) were fantastic, but something about the models beyond the year 2000 and beyond just plain stink. I hate to say it but it's time I switched to a Toyota or Honda.
Anyone want my Vue?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help addicted2mickey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-09-2007, 05:24 AM   #5
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

That's pretty crappy for a 3 year old anything, let alone a Vue. Would Saturn do anything for you? How many miles? Clutches should last a good 100,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 08:44 AM   #6
runerx
runerx is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L

I had the same thing (clutch) happen about the same time (3years) The accordion boot in the slave cylinder blows out and viola no clutch. My dealer picked up the cost of the part, because mine was only a few thousand out of warranty, but I still had over 700 dollars in labor. In hindsight I wish I had them replace the clutch disc while they had it apart. The clutch now chatters pretty badly if it's cold. It sucks that they put the slave inside the tranny instead of mounting it on the outside with a fork. This would have been an hour repair, at the most, and cost 35-40 bucks on my old truck. Instead you have to drop the suspension, jack the engine up, and remove the entire tranny cradle FWIT.

Dave

Never let facts stand in the way of a good opinion!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to runerx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help runerx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
runerx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 10:07 AM   #7
addicted2mickey

Wrench Re: Flashing Check Engine Light - 2004 Vue

No, the Saturn dealer here wouldn't do anything but charge me nearly double what everyone else was charging. The same person owns all 3 Saturn dealerships here in Utah so you don't have any other options but to drive 4 hours to Boise, ID.
Even when the tires didn't pass inspection less than a year after I bought it (Saturn here told me they put new tires on it when it was purchased), Saturn refused to replace those. Normally, most tires have a 40K - 60K mile warranty.

It was purchased used with only 14K miles on it. My warranty expired at 36K. The ignition control module died just over 38K miles. The clutch went out at 38,500 miles. It now has 43,000 and I have a pretty bad fuel leak near the transmission. I'm basically fed up with this vehicle at this point.

I was stationed in Okinawa for 2 years and Saturns weren't a option there. Your choices were pretty much limited to Japanese manufacturers. We owned a Toyota Previa and a Honda Civic. Both with a lot of miles on them, but they were great cars (like my old Saturns). I don't know what happened to the Saturn company but I won't be dealing with them again. Someone told me they were bought out by GM, which explains a lot.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Someone told me they were bought out by GM, which explains a lot.
Saturn has ALWAYS been a division of GM. Just at first, GM left them alone more. Now Saturn and GM are much more integrated.

Sucks about your VUE. I have essentially the same vehicle and I'm at like 42,000 miles with no major issues. The slave cylinder is a common failure though and I'm not looking forward to it happening on my VUE.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 12:08 PM   #9
addicted2mickey

They need to start leaving them alone again. My 1994 SL1 made it to over 250K miles with only two non-regular maintenance repairs (wheel bearing and water pump). Loved that car!!!
My 1999 3-door coupe is at about 110K and the closest thing I've had to a "problem" is a broken key-lock and low refridgerant in the a/c.

Both spectacular cars. Low maintenance & cost. Great preformance... so if it were just one problem with my Vue, I wouldn't be so upset. But each time something gets fixed, another thing breaks. And when I google maintenance questions about this vehicle, it seems I'm not alone. This car has some major issues. The scary thing is the clutch dies on you AS you're driving with no real warning. Luckily, when mine went, I had just barely pulled off the freeway.

(btw, correction to my previous post. I just filed a complaint with U.S. Transportation and had to read over all of my old paperwork. Mileage at failure was about 39,500 - not 38, 500 and current mileage is just under 45K)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2007, 09:27 PM   #10
Wayne12345
Wayne12345 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SC2

There is a recall regarding the gas filler cap and the dash lite blinking. They extended the warranty to 10 yrs. regarding this.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wayne12345's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wayne12345 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wayne12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2007, 09:53 PM   #11
addicted2mickey

Thanks but I took it in today and the fuel feed pipe has a crack in it!!!
They have been recalled on the 2004 Ions, but not the Vues...... yet.

I don't know who was working on the assembly line the day this car was made but I wish I could sue the crap out of them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-09-2007, 10:00 PM   #12
addicted2mickey

... and GM too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-10-2007, 09:51 AM   #13
kodak_jack
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
... and GM too.
One of the reasons I bought my Vue was because it has the Honda V-6. My family has had THREE consecutive GM V-6's with intake manifold gasket problems. They produced those damned things from the late 80's to about 2003 before doing a redesign. Everybody who bought them in that time period is just SOL because GM never acknowledged the problem!! My son's repair was $1,000!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Pontiac's answer to that was to send him a $1500 voucher to use on yet another GM POS. Gee, thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #14
Wayne12345

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SC2

my 2004 vue just got a recall on it and good for 10 yrs. So if the filler kneck is cracked and you paid for it go get your re-imbursement.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Wayne12345 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-11-2007, 04:32 PM   #15
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Hey, I just had a flashing SES yesterday. The weather has been cool and wet and I had not driven the VUE the previous day. I took it on about a five-mile trip to run a couple of errands. I came to a red light after about four miles and complete warm-up (thermostat open). As I came to a fairly hard stop the engine started to miss and the SES light lit then started to flash. The light turned green just then so I moved off with traffic. The engine recovered and the light went out. Total duration of the incident was about five seconds. I felt like it was a rich condition but have no proof of that - just that it felt like an old carburetor engine that tried to flood. I got where I was going okay and got home with no further incident. That night I drove it to my band gig and back, about a 70 mile round trip with no incident. I drove it to brunch today to the same area I went to yesterday and it's running fine. I have noticed no gas smell or any other abnormality. Naturally, any time something happens like this, you start to wonder when and where the breakdown is going to eventually occur, but there's always the possibility that it was some kind of one-time glitch, possibly fuel or moisture-related. I had filled up two days before the incident at my regular station. We have to use 10% Ethanol in my area, and have been for several years. Any thoughts on this?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2007, 08:56 AM   #16
kodak_jack
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1saxman View Post
Hey, I just had a flashing SES yesterday. The weather has been cool and wet and I had not driven the VUE the previous day. I took it on about a five-mile trip to run a couple of errands. I came to a red light after about four miles and complete warm-up (thermostat open). As I came to a fairly hard stop the engine started to miss and the SES light lit then started to flash. The light turned green just then so I moved off with traffic. The engine recovered and the light went out. Total duration of the incident was about five seconds. I felt like it was a rich condition but have no proof of that - just that it felt like an old carburetor engine that tried to flood. I got where I was going okay and got home with no further incident. That night I drove it to my band gig and back, about a 70 mile round trip with no incident. I drove it to brunch today to the same area I went to yesterday and it's running fine. I have noticed no gas smell or any other abnormality. Naturally, any time something happens like this, you start to wonder when and where the breakdown is going to eventually occur, but there's always the possibility that it was some kind of one-time glitch, possibly fuel or moisture-related. I had filled up two days before the incident at my regular station. We have to use 10% Ethanol in my area, and have been for several years. Any thoughts on this?
In good old New York State, that little incident, which should have stored a code, will cause your vehicle, 11 months later, to fail the yearly inspection. Any stored code is cause for a failed inspection. If you have the code cleared, you need to do a detailed set of driving instructions(a full sheet of paper worth) to get the computer set back to "normal" in order for it to pass. In 99% of cases, everything is OK, but the numb nods in this state just love to stick it to you!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-12-2007, 01:56 PM   #17
kaviation
Advanced Member
kaviation is on a distinguished road

2003 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
In good old New York State, that little incident, which should have stored a code, will cause your vehicle, 11 months later, to fail the yearly inspection. Any stored code is cause for a failed inspection. If you have the code cleared, you need to do a detailed set of driving instructions(a full sheet of paper worth) to get the computer set back to "normal" in order for it to pass. In 99% of cases, everything is OK, but the numb nods in this state just love to stick it to you!
Yup, same sh1t here too, I remember taking my ion in to my mechanic the first time, when the emission report printed out the info was printed for a 2003 Malibu. I called him up about it a week later and he said that the data base was all screwed up, the DOT hadn't uptaded or got all the bugs out yet.

TWM Short Shifter
Progress springs with Cobalt SS suspension
Vibrant cat-back exhaust system!
RK Sport Fiberglass Hood

LONG LIVE THE BEECH 1900D

I ENJOY WHAT I DO- I DO WHAT I ENJOY

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kaviation's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kaviation reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kaviation is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2007, 12:41 AM   #18
Wayne12345

2004 VUE 3.5L
2001 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Welcome to the Board.

DO not drive the car with the SES light flashing. Try not to run it with the SES light flashing.

It will ruin your catalytic converter.

You did not give the engine size but more than likely it is the four cylinder from what you say is happening.
It is more than likley your ignition module that is bad. I would reccomend replacing the module and the plugs. See if you local Saturn service department will goodwill any of the repair with you see as you are not out of warrenty by very much.

What haPPENS if one removes the catalytic and drives it with a fake hollow convertor?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-13-2007, 07:42 AM   #19
IMkenNY
IMkenNY is on a distinguished road

The rear O2 sensor will determine you dont have a converter and light up the check engine light.

You wont pass emissions testing (if applicable)

Excessive NOx+HC emissions (not good for earth)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IMkenNY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IMkenNY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
IMkenNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2014, 10:21 PM   #20
Saturn 2003 vue
Saturn 2003 vue is on a distinguished road

Had same issue as addicted2mickey. Really cold in New England over the weekend. Even changed the spark plugs. They were due anyway....I never changed them in the 2003 2.2L vue which I has 178k miles and 100k of those were mine. Thank you good people of the internet for posting your woes as they truly help others. I changed module and it runs like a beast.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn 2003 vue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn 2003 vue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Saturn 2003 vue is offline   Reply With Quote