SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 12-12-2006, 08:51 PM   #1
bo130
bo130 is on a distinguished road

Default Transmission "flush"

Hi all - I just recieved in the mail a series of coupons for service from my Saturn dealer. I was already planning on having my transmission fluid and filter replaced here this month. However, on the list of coupons, there's a transmission "flush" coupon listed ($139.00)

My SL2 (65,000 miles) has had all of its maintenance done on schedule so far. Is this "flush" really necessary? My instincts kind of tell me that this is for higher mileage or neglected cars. Am I completely wrong?

Thanks in advance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bo130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bo130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-12-2006, 09:39 PM   #2
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1
Default Re: Transmission "flush"

No! And a filter change, fluid drain and fill is appropriate for your car.

The schedule so far has included trans services at 30k and 60k... if you've had both of those... great!

If not, go for the gentle drain and fill. A corner garage can do this much cheaper than $139. With the spin-on filter it's literally as easy as an engine oil change.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 09:55 PM   #3
bo130
bo130 is on a distinguished road

Thanks Eljefino.

Just out of curiosity: in what circumstance would one want to have this done?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bo130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bo130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bo130 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2006, 10:00 PM   #4
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

I'd just change the transmission fluid myself....to be honest it's easier than an oil change because the tranny filter is easier to access than the oil filter.

I've heard there's no reason to do a transmission flush on an S-series Saturn.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2006, 12:22 PM   #5
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2
Default Re: Transmission "flush" == stay away

Quote:
> bo 130 <
My SL2 (65,000 miles) has had all of its maintenance done on schedule so far. Is this "flush" really necessary? My instincts kind of tell me that this is for higher mileage or neglected cars. Am I completely wrong?
Quote:
> El Jefino <
No! And a filter change, fluid drain and fill is appropriate for your car.
I think we are all in agreement on the issue of "transmission flushes". Not necessary

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 09:07 AM   #6
bad mikey
bad mikey is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2

I've pretty much change my tranny fluid and filter every other year, always under 30,000 mi intervals. I use Saturn Filter & mobil 1 ATF. I just think tranny flush services are another cash cow for service departments just as the fuel system cleaning svc. Frequent filter & fluid changes is all thats needed. The cost to the garage to do this service is minimal as well as the labor but their profit is huge. It may be OK if you buy a used car that you ? it's tranny service history to start off with a flush & filter just to start with a clean slate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bad mikey's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bad mikey reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bad mikey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 11:08 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Wallet flush?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 12:54 PM   #8
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

The only time that a flush might be advisable would be:

1. Contamination of tranny fluid by water, or incompatable fluids.

2. After internal damage (to clean out any debris).

Otherwise - no reason to... .

Had a DCX minivan that blew its tranny. The shop didn't flush the lines going to the cooler out - and the new tranny lasted all of 6k miles before it met its demise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 03:59 PM   #9
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

> Mi Saturn <
Very good input. Thanks for the alert.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #10
DanB98TJ
DanB98TJ is on a distinguished road

1997 SW1

Some of the "flush" methods used by the quickie lube places can actually harm your transmission by forcing debris back through the transmission. A friend, who owned a tranny shop, showed me the result of a couple of those and it convinced me to steer clear of transmission flushes.

Flushing the lines, cooler, etc. before installing a rebuilt/replacement transmission is a must, but that is a different animal than a "transmission flush."

1997 Saturn SW1, auto trans, 121k miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DanB98TJ's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DanB98TJ reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DanB98TJ is offline   Reply With Quote