SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-27-2006, 04:08 PM   #1
metalfred74
metalfred74 is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2
Default Leaky valve cover gasket

I recently purchased a rebuilt DOHC from a guy on Ebay in Illinois. This guy was a previous Saturn employee. He did a fantastic job rebuilding this engine. It was kind of drive for me to get it, but definitely worth it.

OK, onto my story. The gasket was leaking, per usual. And, as I was torquing the bolts down, WAY beyond the spec. It broke. So. off to the local True Value hardware store to purchase a screw extractor and a new bolt. I purchase a flanged metric bolt. Highly recommended by the way.

I realized that there is an inherit design flaw with this bolt design. The steel sleeve that is on the bolt that prohibits the cover from overtightening and cracking the cover, was also the cause of my leak. I wasn't able to pull the cover down close enough to the head.

Out went the old broken bolt. When I put the new bolt in, I did not put the sleeve on. But, I did put a washer on it to replace the function of the top part of the sleeve. To squish to the grommet. I was able to torque it down enough to stop it from leaking. I didn't use a torque wrench. I "felt" it to ensure I did not go to far, but not too loose. Plus, I could see the grommet squish.

I don't know if I would recommend doing this quite yet. As, I have only put 100 miles on it since doing this. But, It seems to have been working well so far. It doesn't leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metalfred74's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metalfred74 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metalfred74 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-27-2006, 04:53 PM   #2
STLWACO
STLWACO is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Leaky valve cover gasket

diffenatly keep us updated on this.

What are the specs on the new hardware?

Saint Louis Street Racing

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to STLWACO's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help STLWACO reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
STLWACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2006, 06:14 PM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by metalfred74
And, as I was torquing the bolts down, WAY beyond the spec. It broke.
Quote:
I was able to torque it down enough to stop it from leaking. I didn't use a torque wrench. I "felt" it to ensure I did not go to far, but not too loose. Plus, I could see the grommet squish.
This is why it leaks and you break bolts. Torque it to the correct value and pattern using the correct gasket and it will not leak. Nineteen Saturns plus countless gasket replacements on friends and families Saturns over the past 13 years and not one has leaked on me.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2006, 09:32 AM   #4
DonP
Master Member
DonP will become famous soon enoughDonP will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Just wondering - has anyone figured out or estimated how much oil (say, per 1000 miles) is lost due to the "average" head cover gasket gasket leak?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DonP's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DonP reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DonP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 12:52 AM   #5
Picsman
Picsman is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I had a leak with the valve cover, replaced it, and it came back. Fixed it again when I realized the PCV valve was clogged. The leak was from the pressure, not a bad gasket. You might want to check it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Picsman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Picsman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Picsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 02:25 AM   #6
Bigdaddy94sc2
Bigdaddy94sc2 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan
2005 VUE 3.5L

If torqued properly, with a good gasket and a good cover, it WONT leak. Well, unless the pcv is clogged like said above. But it has to be CLOGGED.

It is possible that you masked a warped cam cover assembly by tightening the bolt more than normal, when all you may need is a new cover itself. We see it more and more lately on the early years of the composite cover. We replace the gasket, and it comes back leaking within 3k miles. The covers will slightly warp after time and cause too big of a gap for the gasket to seal, and they only do it when heated up..... Hope it helps.

GM, Saturn, and ASE certified Technician. Always glad to try to help, just ask!!! Now own an 06 ION.2 as of 7/2/06 with 2988 and counting (7/28/06) 13131 as of (1/8/07) 24901 as of (7/30/07)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bigdaddy94sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bigdaddy94sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bigdaddy94sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2006, 03:05 PM   #7
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:

I realized that there is an inherit design flaw with this bolt design. The steel sleeve that is on the bolt that prohibits the cover from overtightening and cracking the cover, was also the cause of my leak. I wasn't able to pull the cover down close enough to the head.
This is not a design flaw. You said it yourself, it is there to prevent overtightening and creates a predetermined amount of compression of the gasket material.

Quote:
Out went the old broken bolt. When I put the new bolt in, I did not put the sleeve on. But, I did put a washer on it to replace the function of the top part of the sleeve. To squish to the grommet. I was able to torque it down enough to stop it from leaking. I didn't use a torque wrench. I "felt" it to ensure I did not go to far, but not too loose. Plus, I could see the grommet squish.
You don't really want to see the grommet squish. Without a torque wrench, how do you know if you didn't get it too tight or too loose. You said it yourself in your post that you broke off the bolt in the first place by tightening it "WAY beyond spec". Torque by "feel" is a guaranteed way to get the wrong torque. Unless you have a calibrated click type elbo or wrist.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigdaddy94sc2
If torqued properly, with a good gasket and a good cover, it WONT leak. Well, unless the pcv is clogged like said above. But it has to be CLOGGED.

It is possible that you masked a warped cam cover assembly by tightening the bolt more than normal, when all you may need is a new cover itself. We see it more and more lately on the early years of the composite cover. We replace the gasket, and it comes back leaking within 3k miles. The covers will slightly warp after time and cause too big of a gap for the gasket to seal, and they only do it when heated up..... Hope it helps.
What he said^^^^
If you only used one of your replacement bolts and the rest are the origional, you very well could CREATE a warped cam cover. Is the cover aluminum or composite? In any case having one of the bolts tightend down considerably more than the rest is just asking for trouble and leaks in the future.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

Last edited by Sky King; 12-01-2006 at 03:10 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote