SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-30-2006, 09:45 PM   #1
unibrain
unibrain is on a distinguished road

Default 1994 Saturn SL1 Seatbelt Question

Hello, Im new.

I just recently bought a used 1994 Saturn SL1. But I've found the seatbelts to be quite interesting. They were the mechanical seatbelts that move along the headrail when you get in.

Now, my understanding is that seat belts are supposed to resist if you give it a sharp tug. However, when I did that with these seatbelts, they seem to give you more slack, and never resist. Shouldnt they resist? Or does it only resist when there's an actual accident?

Any info would help greatly.
Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to unibrain's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help unibrain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
unibrain is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2006, 01:25 AM   #2
SaturnManiac
Master Member
SaturnManiac is on a distinguished road

Default Re: 1994 Saturn SL1 Seatbelt Question

I don't have automatic seatbelts, but my seatbelts won't budge (they will lock up) if I slam my brakes on, or something of the such.

R.I.P. - My 1996 Saturn SL2, "Psycho" - 7/95-2/17/06

R.I.P. - My 2000 Saturn SL2, "Sexy" - 11/24/99-8/05/08

If you're a car begging for your life, wouldn't you want someone to add fluids?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnManiac's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnManiac reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnManiac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:05 AM   #3
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

Sharp tug doesn't always work. It is usually sharp deceleration (hard braking etc) that causes them to lock. Try stopping hard next time you are parking, it doesn't take much (like 5mph to zero) and before the car has fully settled, try pulling the seat belt.

gawk, date, grep, touch, finger, unzip, strip, mount, fsck, fsck, fsck, yes, yes, yes, unmount, make clean, zip, sleep

-You can tell Linux is made by geeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 09:14 AM   #4
Kevin94SL
Kevin94SL is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Sedan

There is actually a lock that swings forward under deceleration - it doesn't have anything to do with the force that the seatbelt is pulled with.

Kevin

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kevin94SL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kevin94SL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kevin94SL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 08:32 PM   #5
unibrain

really? what if I was driving on ice (common in Calgary, Canada), and lost control? the seatbelt wont really kick in until I jam on the brakes?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help unibrain reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-31-2006, 10:31 PM   #6
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by unibrain
really? what if I was driving on ice (common in Calgary, Canada), and lost control? the seatbelt wont really kick in until I jam on the brakes?

Yes, the motion of the car is what triggers the locks. If there is a force that would cause you to move foreward in the seat, it would lock the belts, it doesn't matter about the brakes, just motion. Hopefully yours keep working for a while, just don't put any drinks in that spot where the e-brake is, the module is under there, and spilled drinks are a major cause of module failure. The belts on my old one quit becuase the passenger side track was binding up, and blowing fuses. I probably could have fixed it with grease, or a new trakc, but all the parts cars were SLx's, not coupes

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2006, 11:02 PM   #7
unibrain

hmm.. good info, thanks.

I guess Im used to cars with the typical seatbelt setup. Like, I have a 2000 civic, and while you're strapped in, whether the car is in motion or not, if you tug at the seat belt feed fast, it wont give you any more slack.

But when in this Saturn, it doesnt matter how hard or fast you tug at the feed, because it will continuously give you more slack! I havent tried doing the brake thing yet though.

But still, I woulda thought regardless if you were in motion or not (mechanically), that your seat belts should hold you in the seat in a secure fashion.

I've never owned a Saturn (let alone with this type of seat belt system before), so it was suprising to me!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-31-2006, 11:16 PM   #8
Uzzy
Master Member
Uzzy will become famous soon enoughUzzy will become famous soon enough

2002 SC1
2005 VUE 2.2L

Quote:
I've never owned a Saturn (let alone with this type of seat belt system before), so it was suprising to me!
I think most GMs are like that after many complaints of them grabbing too soon, and too tight. And I hated that stupid auto belt system. You will too the first time you take a latch to the side of your head I never once did up the lap belt while driving either, and that's not good. Mine didn't have a lap belt light. (Well it did, but burned out long before I got it, and I didn't know). I have the habit of doing my seat belt up within a block or two fo my house (or wherever I'm leaving from) and it doesn't seem to matter how fast I pull it, but I can work the brake, and gas to make sure it doens't lock up on me at the stop sign at the end of my street.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam
If your ECTS is not brass...your ass is grass.
If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find him, maybe you can hire Uzzy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Uzzy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Uzzy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Uzzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 01:40 AM   #9
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
I guess Im used to cars with the typical seatbelt setup. Like, I have a 2000 civic, and while you're strapped in, whether the car is in motion or not, if you tug at the seat belt feed fast, it wont give you any more slack.
Then either it's an unusual design, or there's something wrong with it. The Saturn seat belt _is_ a "typical setup"; for decades, the usual design for retractable seat belts uses a pendulum lock. All the tugging in the world won't stop it. And as said, it doesn't require "jamming on the brakes". It's deceleration that makes the pendulum swing and lock the retractor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2006, 09:43 AM   #10
RangerRover
RangerRover is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2

I recently swapped out the auto-seat belts in my 94 for the manual belts from a 95. Best upgrade to the car yet. Like uzzy said, the first time you hit your head on them you will curse them. Especially because I am a cue-ball and have disconnected the belt several times.. and always managed to bang the top of my bald head on the metal latch. Ouch.

gawk, date, grep, touch, finger, unzip, strip, mount, fsck, fsck, fsck, yes, yes, yes, unmount, make clean, zip, sleep

-You can tell Linux is made by geeks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RangerRover's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RangerRover reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RangerRover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2006, 10:07 AM   #11
Jinjo
Jinjo is on a distinguished road

2001 SL2

Well they become locked when needed and I can tell you for a fact that your a perfectly safe seatbelt wise when you get into accidents as I have experienced one with the motorized seat belts before and they locked good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jinjo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jinjo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jinjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 01:15 PM   #12
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:

You're misunderstanding. Jamming on the brakes is not what causes the belts to lock up. There is a pendulum in the latching system. As long as it's hanging pretty close to the vertical, the seat belts won't lock. However, sufficient acceleration (decceleration is acceleration in the reverse direction) in any direction will cause the pendulum to swing off the vertical and lock the belt.

So, in your example, you're sliding on the ice and jam on the brakes. Unless the brakes grab that ice pretty well, the belts probably won't lock up. Now, if you hit something, that pendulum will swing and lock the belts.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2006, 02:06 PM   #13
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

everybody's right. Yippie!

http://auto.howstuffworks.com/seatbelt3.htm

in addition to their description, there are belts that lock under both circumstances.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2006, 08:24 PM   #14
unibrain

awesome. thanks for the help folks.

I'm starting to understand how these seat belts work.

One thing strange though, I was going downhill at actually a pretty steep angle yesterday, and noticed that the seatbelt still wasnt gripping.. putting the pendulum theory into action, shouldnt the seatbelts grip?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-07-2006, 01:37 PM   #15
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Not really, I don't think I've ever seen a hill steep enough to do it. I have felt the belts lock up going around corners and stopping though. In fact, I ran around with a broken driver's side seat back for a couple months (curse Sixth Planet!!!). It was lots of fun hanging on to the wheel with the belt locked up going around a corner.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote