SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-03-2006, 08:15 PM   #1
Twiggy2Cents
Twiggy2Cents is on a distinguished road

Default Shift linkage retainer?

Hey im sorry if this has been posted already, the only reason i didnt search for it is because i dont know what its called. My friend has a 95 saturn sc2 5speed. On the cable for the side to side movement in the shifter there is a little retainer on it under the hood, well it fell off and now the car allows him to get in every gear but 1st and 2nd. So my question is, what is that retainer piece called and how big could it be estimated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twiggy2Cents's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twiggy2Cents reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Twiggy2Cents is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-04-2006, 08:21 AM   #2
Twiggy2Cents

Default Re: Shift linkage retainer?

*bump*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Twiggy2Cents reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-04-2006, 08:42 AM   #3
Psywar
Psywar is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Shift lever cable retainer is what it is called, if your talking about under the hood were the shiftcables connect to the tranny.

Their should be 2 Horseshoe clips

If he is missing one or both, that would definitly be a problem in shifting.

you can get them at a saturn or gm dealer ship.. their only a buck or 2.

take ur VIN: and tell them u need 2 Shift Lever Cable Retainers.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Psywar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Psywar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Psywar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2006, 10:16 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

If it's the clip that holds the cable HOUSING (the part that doesn't move) to the tranny case, it's the horseshoe clip as psy describes. See http://www.saturnfans.com/photos/sho...9222/size/big/

If it's the clip that attaches the cable END (that part that DOES move) to the linkage, it's a much smaller clip; don't have a photo of it.

In either case, it's dealer time. I don't even see the parts on saturnparts.net. You might want to look around back there under the hood; the clip might have fallen onto or lodged into some spot, and be retrievable. I knocked the horsehoe clip off my fore-aft cable a while back; while diagosing it, it fell to the ground in the parking lot. Do you have one of those magnets on the end of a flexible or telescoping wand? It might be worth fishing around back there, esp. places you can't see.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2006, 02:06 PM   #5
Twiggy2Cents

problem solved...i went to the dealership and got it, it was teh big horseshoe thing, and that one clip was $8.60 what a rip off...but yeah i looked all over for that clip and where it might have fallen off but no luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-08-2006, 12:20 AM   #6
Psywar
Psywar is on a distinguished road

1999 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twiggy2Cents
problem solved...i went to the dealership and got it, it was teh big horseshoe thing, and that one clip was $8.60 what a rip off...but yeah i looked all over for that clip and where it might have fallen off but no luck
wow, that is alot..

Maybe thats what I payed for mine..

When I got mine, I got a ton of bolts n stuff with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Psywar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Psywar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Psywar is offline   Reply With Quote