SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-17-2006, 01:21 AM   #1
GregB
GregB is on a distinguished road

Default Radiator Light and temp Light flashing

Hi all, I have a 1997 Saturn SL 2 with 96,000 miles.

Just recently my radiator light starting flashing along with the High Temp light for the radiator.

The fluid is fine in the radiator and the temp is normal.

The radiator fan does not turn on. The car overheats when not moving but when driving or when the A/C is on car is ok, it doesn't overheat.

How or what should I do to fix this problem?

I appreciate all your help in advance. Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-17-2006, 04:37 AM   #2
10W30
Advanced Member
10W30 is on a distinguished road

1994 SL2
Default Re: Radiator Light and temp Light flashing

Replace your thermostat.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 10W30's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 10W30 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
10W30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 07:38 AM   #3
eljefino
Master Member
eljefino will become famous soon enough

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

Those are low coolant lights also. Might want to add a couple tablespoons of coolant, the float gums up and needs a higher level than it used to. It's possible you boiled some off when you overheated.

also get that fan working, the ects is a great start.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eljefino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eljefino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 10:05 AM   #4
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Skip the "also"; when it's flashing (it's only one light, BTW), that means low coolant, period. As elj. said, though, sometimes the float switch that sets the light gums up. If you're certain that the coolant level is okay, then drain some off (enough to empty the reservoir), remove the reservoir and clean it out thoroughly; that MIGHT "un-gum" it. If it doesn't just replace the whole reservoir with one from the junkyard.

Does the fan go on when you turn on the A/C?

BTW, your thermostat is the least likely player (but not ruled out entirely).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2006, 11:08 AM   #5
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

When I've been (falsely) low on coolant both the low coolant and overheat lights flashed, in unison. Might be different between years I guess.

With a bad ECTS reading too cool, the computer won't light the overheat light for overheating.... poor redundancy thinking there saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help eljefino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:34 AM   #6
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by eljefino
When I've been (falsely) low on coolant both the low coolant and overheat lights flashed, in unison.
It's actually just one light. There's only one bulb behind those two callouts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-17-2006, 11:52 AM   #7
eljefino
Master Member

1995 SW1
2000 SL1

^ hahahaha these cars really are pretty cheap.

It's like those yorx stereos where the graphic equalizer control levers are stuck together.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-17-2006, 12:52 PM   #8
mr18436572
mr18436572 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

i had the same problem recently. replaced the ECTS and cleaned out the coolant tank real good (a lot of gunk came out) and light hasnt flashed since.

2000 SL2 auto - 167k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 161k - sold
1997 SC2 auto - 105k - sold
2000 SC2 auto - 117k - sold
1996 SL2 auto - 250k - sold
2001 SC2 5sp - 160k - sold

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mr18436572's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mr18436572 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mr18436572 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:30 AM   #9
ahillier
ahillier is on a distinguished road

I would also do a quick test to see if the fan is working at all. This can be done by directly hooking it up to the battery. Most likely it's a thermostat or fan problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ahillier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ahillier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ahillier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 02:54 PM   #10
GregB
GregB is on a distinguished road

Dear Saturners ...

I took my car to the mechanic (they did another job for me) and they told me it was my computer chip and that it would cost $1000 just for the chip. Something didn't sit right with me, so I told them I'd let them know. Meanwhile the other job they did for me was crap and when i asked them to refix it ...they said they checked it and all was fine.. ahem yeah ok. Needless to say I didnt trust their diagnois of my car.

So, I took out the coolant and I noticed the float was broken. So, I went to a Saturn dealer and got a new coolant. I put it in and low and behold NO MORE FLASHING LIGHTS !!!!!!!!

I want to say thank you very much to all who responded to my original post, your advice was so helpful and insightful thanks very much for helping me and others on this forum.

Have an awesome week !

Greg

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 04:21 PM   #11
madpogue

1996 SW2

Well, you coulda gone even cheaper by buying a reservoir (presuming that's what you replaced) at a junkyard. But still, buying and installing the part yourself was a pretty penny less than the $1000 those losers wanted (which wouldn't've fixed it anyway), eh? Yuh, the float failing isn't that uncommon. The $1000 guys should have at least considered that. Good thing you headed them off at the pass.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2006, 05:18 PM   #12
DeCaff2006
Advanced Member
DeCaff2006 is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2
1994 SC2

Yeah hey not to bump an older thread, but I'm now having this same problem on my 99 SL2...78K 5speed.

ECTS is brass. Resevoir tank is where I will check next.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DeCaff2006's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DeCaff2006 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DeCaff2006 is offline   Reply With Quote