SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 AM   #1
tcptom
tcptom is on a distinguished road

Default 2003 Saturn VUE Remote Keyless Entry Stopped Working

Hello,

I have a 2003 Saturn VUE. The remote keyless entry (rke) stopped working about a week ago. I initially thought the battery was dead in my remote. I replaced the battery, which didn't help. I then tried the other key fob, which didn't help. I put the new battery in the second key fob, still no good. The battery meters good (3 volt).

All other accessories in the car seem to work fine (power locks, windows, radio, dome light, dash, etc)

Is there something I should be checking on the VUE side?

Thanks,
Tom

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tcptom's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tcptom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tcptom is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-14-2006, 11:22 AM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: 2003 Saturn VUE Remote Keyless Entry Stopped Working

I also recently replaced the battery in one of my remotes. I didn't test the voltage on either battery- I'm only guessing it was a dead battery. The new battery hasn't fixed the non-working remote as well. I'm thinking that I'll have to reprogram the remote. I think I remember seeing something about that in my FSM. Have you checked the owner's manual?

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 12:30 PM   #3
tcptom

I have not checked the owner's manual, but I will tonight when I get home. Does anyone know where the RKE box is located on the 2003 VUE, and how to re-associate it with a key fob if there has been a problem of some sort?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tcptom reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-14-2006, 02:00 PM   #4
body-snatch-her
body-snatch-her is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

I think you will just need to re-synch the fobs with the RKE. There are instructions on how to do it in the owner's manual. It's quite simple and you don't need to dig into any hardware to do it, but I don't recall the steps off hand. If that doesn't work then you will likely have to bring it all to a Saturn dealer and they can reprogram as required and as long as no further troubleshooting or repairs are required they should only maybe charge you like $20US for the effort.

"Together we WILL destroy the planet! (Evil Plot 2-B)"

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to body-snatch-her's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help body-snatch-her reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
body-snatch-her is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 02:41 PM   #5
tcptom

Thanks body-snatch-her. I suppose I should RT*M this evening! I'll let you all know what the results are.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2006, 04:04 PM   #6
fotovue
fotovue will become famous soon enough

2007 VUE Red Line

Unless something changed between models, a tech-II is required to reassociate the rke's with the vue. So a trip to the service department would be the prognosis. Some service department's will graciously program them for free, although they are supposed to charge you. They would also be able to give you some insight in to why the RKE's may have quit working in the first place.

2004 RL VUE AWD Black *R.I.P. 07/01/06* 65k
The 1st sold, 49th built

2007 RL VUE FWD Black *Born 01/26/07* 100k
mods: 4 wheel disc brakes, window tint, spoiler, blues and twos

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fotovue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fotovue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fotovue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2006, 09:37 PM   #7
tcptom

On pages 85-6 of my 2003 Saturn VUE handbook:
Synchronization is the method used to keep the transmiter of the vehicle communicating with the receiver of the vehicle. Synchronization may be required due to the security method used by the system. The transmitter does not send the same signal twice. The receiver will not accept a signal that has been sent to it more than once. This eliminates the possibility that the signal will be recorded and played back.
To manually syncrhonize your transmitter with your receiver, press and hold the "LOCK" and "UNLOCK" buttons on the transmitter at the same time for about 7 seconds while you are near your Saturn. The door locks will unlock or lock, depending on their starting position. If the door locks do not unlock or lock, see your Saturn retailer for service.
Unfortunately, this didn't do anything for me with either transmitter. I think fotovue and others may be correct that a trip to the Saturn service department is in order. I will post the results... Thanks to all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-14-2006, 10:14 PM   #8
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Most likley you will need to get your local Saturn to reprogram the fobs to the car. Perhaps reprogram the BCM. I have had a few where the fobs just seem to stop working/disappear from being recognized.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 01:00 PM   #9
tcptom

I took the VUE up to the dealer yesterday afternoon. The service manager reprogrammed the key fobs to re-associate them with the car. This did not work. He set up an appointment for me with a tech.

Went back this afternoon to have the tech look at the situation. He checked all the batteries and tried to reprogram the fobs as well. He discovered that there was no communication with the BCM. After re-flashing the programming of the BCM, the key fobs started working again. The dealer only charged me $70 USD for this, which felt nice and reasonable. Their only caution was that it is possible there is a larger problem with the BCM, so if the problem recurs it may be time for a new BCM.

We're back in keyless entry business.

(What a lazy American I am... Can't be bothered to put a key in my car door!)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #10
tcptom

Thanks again to all who helped, especially ssicarman, you hit the nail on the head with the BCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #11
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L

I tried the "hold buttons for 7 seconds" last night on my remote after replacing the battery. I came to the conclusion that my lock/unlock buttons might be broken. I can use which ever button is on the left of the remote- but only if I push really hard and move my finger around to different positions on the button. I can't get the right button to work at all. The emergency button seems to work just fine.

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2006, 07:44 PM   #12
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by tcptom
Thanks again to all who helped, especially ssicarman, you hit the nail on the head with the BCM.
Glad that you are up and running again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-16-2006, 08:03 PM   #13
ssicarman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom92SCm
I tried the "hold buttons for 7 seconds" last night on my remote after replacing the battery. I came to the conclusion that my lock/unlock buttons might be broken. I can use which ever button is on the left of the remote- but only if I push really hard and move my finger around to different positions on the button. I can't get the right button to work at all. The emergency button seems to work just fine.
Try taking apart the fob (remote) and cleaning the contact buttons. The buttons/contacts can get dirty and foul things up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2006, 06:31 PM   #14
LuvMyVue04
LuvMyVue04 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 3.5L

Had trouble with my remotes on my 2004 Vue....

Changed batteries..nada.

Went to the dealer, tried to reprogram my remotes....nada.

Ended up replacing them, he reprogrammed them......Magic!!

I was told the lifespan of a remote is 2 years, if that's so...then I was past my life expectancy.

Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to LuvMyVue04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help LuvMyVue04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
LuvMyVue04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2006, 11:15 PM   #15
CPD
CPD is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
Try taking apart the fob (remote) and cleaning the contact buttons. The buttons/contacts can get dirty and foul things up.
Follow-up: An electronic spray cleaner didn't work at all for me, but rubbing a pencil eraser on the circuit board contacts and the black carbon disk molded to the back of the button seal/boot did the trick.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CPD's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CPD reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CPD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2010, 10:48 AM   #16
zipgun77
zipgun77 is on a distinguished road

Yes!!! YES!!!! I have a 2002 SC1 and the keyless entry remote has been completely unresponsive for three days now... tried reprogramming ... rubbing the pencil eraser over the contacts inside the keyfob and over the back side of the battery totally fixed it!! Thank you!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to zipgun77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help zipgun77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
zipgun77 is offline   Reply With Quote