SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-01-2006, 10:41 PM   #1
Cincy Saturn
Cincy Saturn is on a distinguished road

Idea Timing Chain Failures In 2000-2003 Saturn L-series Vehicle Equipped With The 2.2l

based on the various threads discussing timing chain failures I did some searching. I came accross this:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/pr...ct/results.cfm

This has been a Topic of discussion on many threads on this site.
If you have this problem contact the NHTS. I am not sure how, I am sure their is a form on the site.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Cincy Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Cincy Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Cincy Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-02-2006, 09:40 AM   #2
sven1
sven1 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Timing Chain Failures In 2000-2003 Saturn L-series Vehicle Equipped With The 2.2l

Already done...mine bit the dust last October...big bucks to repair. I made a complaint with them several months ago.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sven1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sven1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
sven1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2006, 06:51 PM   #3
Cincy Saturn

Information Re: Timing Chain Failures In 2000-2003 Saturn L-series Vehicle Equipped With The 2.2l

See:

http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0...ing_chain.html

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Cincy Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-05-2006, 11:45 AM   #4
Cincy Saturn

Heart NHTSA Office of Deffects Investigation

Here is the Link:

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/ivoq/

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2006, 11:58 AM   #5
Cincy Saturn

Thumbs Down Timing Chain Replacement in 2.2L ECO engine

I have been searching sites for other GM cars with this engine and problem. This is not a Saturn Problem, but a Papa GM problem. I discovered that there is a trend:

The Chain failure is between 40-70k miles typically,
or looks like it lasts forever for some people.

It appears that the Chain should be replaced @ 60k as a common maintenance Item.

The Oiler nozzle that squirts the oil to lubricate the chain has been resized to larger on the repalcement part kit identified in the TSB. So yes the nozzle is undesized on the original engine design.

If everyone that reads this woudl contact their State Attourney General with a desire for an investigation we might be able to survive this.

Don't worry about dislocating a couple hundred VP's at GM for a poorly designed engine, they always take care of Family at GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-05-2006, 06:50 PM   #6
thewave46
thewave46 is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Timing Chain Failures In 2000-2003 Saturn L-series Vehicle Equipped With The 2.2l

I've been looking at Olds Aleros with the 2.2 and 5spd, should I be concerned?

Cause I can get an earlier year with then 2.4 DOHC and 5 spd if that would be a better choice

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to thewave46's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help thewave46 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
thewave46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2006, 09:52 PM   #7
Cincy Saturn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thewave46
I've been looking at Olds Aleros with the 2.2 and 5spd, should I be concerned?

Cause I can get an earlier year with then 2.4 DOHC and 5 spd if that would be a better choice
I woulld internet search, I found Pontiac Grand AM and Chevy Malibu pages with timing chain problems. Oldsmobile is also now defunct, so that is an issue for any type of dealer service or expertise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-06-2006, 07:58 AM   #8
Cincy Saturn

Wrench Re: Timing Chain Failures In 2000-2003 Saturn L-series Vehicle Equipped With The 2.2l

From: http://experts.about.com/q/Saturn-Re...200-Timing.htm

Q?: "I read lots of forumns and have heard of the chains failing as early as 38,000 miles. I'm considering having the oiler nozzle replaced and possibly the tensioner and chain. I know that won't be cheap and I'm not sure if I should do it. The timing chain is arguably one of the most important parts in a motor so it's not something I want to chance.....but Saturn should be taking care of this if it's a common and know issue....especially since a TSB has been posted."

A: "I have seen some trouble with the timing chains on that engine. I have seen them come from the factory with broken/misaligned chains. It is not far fetched to say that you could be having problems with it. However, if memory serves me correctly, Saturn fixed the oiler nozzle in late '01. The 2.2L is yet another hand-me-down from GM. It is built in Spring Hill, but the design was from GM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!