SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-17-2006, 09:08 AM   #1
rfant
rfant is on a distinguished road

Sad Motor Fan won't turn off!!

2003 L300 Saturn 37,000 miles. The Motor fan won't turn off. I have disconnted the battery and reconnected it. The Motor fan is still running. This has happened before. By the time I got to the dealership is was off. They talked about some kind of "Module" might be bad. Well I don't have money for the might scenerio!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rfant's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rfant reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rfant is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-17-2006, 12:09 PM   #2
L200Pilot
L200Pilot is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Motor Fan won't turn off!!

Mine was a temperature sensor that went bad last year. As a safety precaution, when it goes bad, the fan comes on full power (cause engine fires are even worse ). I don't remember how much it was to replace the sensor.

What I did until I could get it fixed was whenever I parked, I went under the hood and unplugged the power to the fan. Its a plug that sits almost on top of the fan, front and center when you open the hood. This was after I called AAA so they could jump start my car after the fan ran all night . P.S.: Don't forget to plug in the fan when you go driving again.

edit... while i'm thinking about it, do a search on the S-series forum about adding a manual on/off switch for the fan. Interesting stuff.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to L200Pilot's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help L200Pilot reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
L200Pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 05:46 PM   #3
Al Bear
Al Bear is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by L200Pilot
, do a search on the S-series forum about adding a manual on/off switch for the fan. Interesting stuff.

Wow! you reminded me of a very bad thing that happened to me. about 12 years ago the fan sensor on my 1984 Plymouth Reliant, (Don't let the model fool you!) went out. I didn't have much money at the time. I installed a manual fan sensor. One day I went to work, and forgot to shut off the fan.

About an hour into my shift someone comes to the place where I worked, says a blue car is on fire in the parking lot. I rushed out to see, and the blue car that the entire engine compartment was fully engulfed in flames was mine.

Forgetting to shut off the fan, caused the fan to overheat, totally melted the electrical harness, (the burnt harness was travelling inside the car) and the battery melted and threw it's acid. I was loaned a fire extinguisher and managed to stop the fire from totally damaging the inside of the car, just the engine compartment was a total loss.

Bad, indeed. I had to sell the car to a junkjard for $50.00 they gave it a free tow! but the sucky thing was that I had just gotten new tires 2 weeks earlier.

My Automotive hard luck story.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Al Bear's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Al Bear reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Al Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 07:10 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by rfant
2003 L300 Saturn 37,000 miles. The Motor fan won't turn off. I have disconnected the battery and reconnected it. The Motor fan is still running. This has happened before. By the time I got to the dealership is was off. They talked about some kind of "Module" might be bad. Well I don't have money for the might scenario!!
You may have a 'sticking' relay causing the fan(s) to stay on.

The FSM schematics show 2(two) fans with two relays, one is a pusher and the other is a puller. The pusher fan must be the one in front of the radiator/condenser coil while the puller fan is behind the radiator. Which one is constantly running or are both fans running? The two relays are in the UHFB in the engine compartment and are interchangeable. The next time the fan(s) are in a runaway condition (and not from using the a/c on a hot, humid day that will automatically turn on the fans for a few minutes after turning off the ignition) open the hood and take out one fan relay or the other until the fan(s) stop. The one that stops the fan is the culprit and needs replacement. The relays, if this is correct, are not expensive. Whatever you do, please keep us informed as to the outcome.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2006, 09:14 PM   #5
BabyMax
BabyMax is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Arrow Re: Motor Fan won't turn off!!

That happend to my once with my 03' L200, the engine was a little hot at the time, and after I backed out and back in my garage it had stopped.
Edit: nevermind, it was covered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BabyMax's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BabyMax reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BabyMax is offline   Reply With Quote