SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 03-24-2006, 09:37 AM   #1
entheos
entheos is on a distinguished road

Question fan relay location

I have done a search and seen pictures of the location of the fan relay on non 99 saturn's fan relay location, but my 1999 SC2 does not label the relays in the engine compartment fuse box, nor is there a picture in the owners manual or the Haynes service manual of the location of the relays. I would like to change the relay out as it may be the cause of an engine that barely makes the temp guage go above the 'C' (new thermostat) and the service wrench comes on from time to time. Any help would be appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to entheos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help entheos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-24-2006, 09:50 AM   #2
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to allLow Saturn is a name known to all

2008 AURA XE
Default Re: fan relay location

Is the fan on all the time? If not, then its probable not the fan relay. Have your codes checked before you start unecessary repairs and spending money on parts. The code should tell you the source of your problem.

But at first guess, judging by your symptoms, Id say ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor).

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 10:19 AM   #3
mohave
mohave is on a distinguished road

Are you saying that you put in a new thermostat or are you wondering if it is the thermostat?

I would be looking at the thermostat with your symptoms since it may not be closing, which will prevent the car from warming up. This seems to be a common problem on the Saturn. Is the radiator getting good and hot? Is the heater coming up to temperature quickly? If they are, then the ECTS sensor may be telling you the engine is cold when it is not. If the thermostat is sticking open, then the radiator will not get as hot as it should, the heater may take five or more minutes to get good hot air coming out, and the sensor is giving you a proper reading of an engine that is not coming up to temperature the way it should.

If it were me, and it was just last year, I would replace the thermostat, the ECTS sensor, and both radiator hoses. Then put the proper coolent in the engine and I suspect things will be better. Just my humble opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mohave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mohave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mohave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 06:55 PM   #4
entheos
entheos is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the quick replies, I have replaced the ECTS and I just bought an IAS for it. It gets good mileage (~33 in rural driving) and the heater output is good. I think I will heed your advice on the coolant flush / radiator hoses if and when the temperature here in Michigan ever hits 50 again!

I just thought that since a famous poster here has recommended replacing the fan relay if the service wrench light stays on, and it is (potentially) very easy & cheap to do, I would try it and cross that one off the list of things to do to my brand new used car (I've done a few other things like replace the muffler, plugs & wires) to get it working as good as it can. I just can't figure out which one of the relays under the hood do what and the darn owners manual fails to print a fuse schematic (it is a different kind of manual I guess) . They also ain't labled.

Would try pulling them until the fan stops turning work?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to entheos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help entheos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
entheos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
GreenSC2
Advanced Member
GreenSC2 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by entheos
I have done a search and seen pictures of the location of the fan relay on non 99 saturn's fan relay location, but my 1999 SC2 does not label the relays in the engine compartment fuse box, nor is there a picture in the owners manual or the Haynes service manual of the location of the relays. I would like to change the relay out as it may be the cause of an engine that barely makes the temp guage go above the 'C' (new thermostat) and the service wrench comes on from time to time. Any help would be appreciated.
Did you look on the inside of the fuse box COVER. Thats where the location is shown on my 2000 sc2.

It's not easy being Green(SC2). (IntelliTXT SUCKS)
I refuse to be a Lemming!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GreenSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GreenSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GreenSC2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2006, 07:09 PM   #6
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
Is the fan on all the time? If not, then its probable not the fan relay. Have your codes checked before you start unecessary repairs and spending money on parts. The code should tell you the source of your problem.

But at first guess, judging by your symptoms, Id say ECTS (Engine Coolant Temperature Sensor).
I'm with Low Saturn here. I would ask if the fan is on all the time. Also I have a 99 SC-2 and The items in the under hood relay/fuse panel are labled. The diagram is on the inside of the cover. Take the cover off and look at the inside. If you don't find it, they are, as you stand at the drivers side of the car, the relay closest to the front of the car is for the air pump if you have one. The next realy is for the fog lamps, next is the air conditioner and then the radiator cooling fan. The last one is for ABS. The fog lamp, air contidioner and fan relays are the same part number relays. You can pull one out and swap them for trouble shooting.

1999 SC-2 280,000 miles -mine now also dead, RIP
1995 SL-2 296,000 miles - my wifes totaled, RIP
1993 Chevrolet S-10 Pick-up - mine
2003 Harley Davidson Low Rider - mine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote