SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-21-2006, 12:10 AM   #1
RDKamikaze
RDKamikaze is on a distinguished road

2002 SC1
Question How do I replace the rear struts on my 2002 SC1?

I need to know right now (before tomorrow) on how to replace my rear struts on my 2002 SC1. Thank you all so much for your help!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RDKamikaze's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RDKamikaze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RDKamikaze is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-21-2006, 02:59 AM   #2
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Default Re: NEED NOW!! How do I replace the rear struts on my 2002 SC1?

Take it to Midas or Mieneke....opps its already tomorrow....sorry too late.

If you don't have or have access to a COIL SPRING COMPRESSOR do not attempt it.

I will assume you have MINIMAL mechanical knowledge and give you just this:

You'll need to remove the rear pacakge tray to access the bolts (3 each side) that secure the top strut mounts to the car. To do this FOLD DOWN THE REAR SEAT BACKS, to reveal the fastners behind them. There are also two more plastic ones in the flat portion of the tray. Once you have teh fastners removed, the tray can be flexed enough by pulling up on the center, bowing it, and them pulling it toward you.

The rest is just like replacing the struts on any car.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:35 AM   #3
RDKamikaze

2002 SC1
Default Re: How do I replace the rear struts on my 2002 SC1?

Thanks, that's all I needed to know and I was thinking that as I looked at my car some more last night. I'm doing this for my auto project today, so I have access to all the stuff and I know how and all that. Thank you for confirming my guess!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RDKamikaze reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2006, 08:37 AM   #4
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Don't forget you'll need an wheel alignment afterward.

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 08:57 AM   #5
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfman
If you don't have or have access to a COIL SPRING COMPRESSOR do not attempt it.

I...
I, for one, would like to see how it could be done at all without a spring compressor. It would have to be only slightly easier than changing the spark plugs through the exhaust pipe.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 10:18 AM   #6
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry Proctor
I, for one, would like to see how it could be done at all without a spring compressor. It would have to be only slightly easier than changing the spark plugs through the exhaust pipe.
Rear springs can be done without a compressor, its the fronts that under a lot of tension.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 11:49 AM   #7
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
Don't forget you'll need an wheel alignment afterward.
After doing the rears? Do they have camber adjustment like the fronts? Sorry, I never looked.

BTW, one thing I've done (on my Colt) was to remove the assemblies, as Wolfman described, then take them, with the new struts, to a local under-car shop. For $10-ish, they'll transfer the spring, cap, etc. to the new struts. (I'm lucky, there's a Car-X, local version of Midas/Meineke, two blocks from home.)

'Course, you can always borrow a spring compressor from Autozone, et al.; just be aware that you're dealing with a WHOLE LOT of stored potential energy when you compress that spring, and use appropriate caution.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:11 PM   #8
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue
After doing the rears? Do they have camber adjustment like the fronts? Sorry, I never looked.
Camber, caster, toe in and toe out all can be adjusted in the rear as well. Make sure to get that allignment.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2006, 01:19 PM   #9
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Caster? On wheels that don't steer?

I assume camber is set by the knuckle-to-strut bolts, like up front. How is toe set? Just curious. I know, RTFM....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 01:58 PM   #10
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
On some lowering springs, you don't need a sping compressor.

But most stock springs you will need one.

85 GLH
94 855

89 CSX, parting.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
amazinghl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 02:00 PM   #11
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Caster? On wheels that don't steer?
Its set the same way as the fronts. By elongating the top three mounting holes.

Quote:
I assume camber is set by the knuckle-to-strut bolts, like up front. How is toe set? Just curious. I know, RTFM....
This is adjusted fromt the center of the rear crossmember.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2006, 02:33 PM   #12
DTDSasquatch
Advanced Member
DTDSasquatch is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

Quote:
I, for one, would like to see how it could be done at all without a spring compressor.
I have a friend that allegedly did this by removing the center nut off the strut shaft while the strut was still in the car. I have to question this method though, because it would still be extremely difficult to remove the lower bolts without the strut going flying out the bottom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazinghl
On some lowering springs, you don't need a sping compressor.
I didn't.

Internet message boards: The demise of the English language.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DTDSasquatch's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DTDSasquatch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DTDSasquatch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:19 PM   #13
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

If you have a local harbor freight handy...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3980

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 03:45 PM   #14
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by alleninpa
If you have a local harbor freight handy...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3980
Unless you only value your life at $12...leave that POS at Harbor Freight. Strut Spring compressors are NOT the place to go saving money on a tool. Either rent a good quality one or have the job done by a professional. When a strut spring compressor breaks (and they do) the spring has deadly force behind it. This is NOT an area to go experimenting. I use shop quality strut spring compressors at the dealership when I do struts and even then I'm still nervous that it will malfunction or break and maim me or worse when it comes apart. Leave that tool at Harbor Freight if $12 is all you have to spend on a strut spring compressor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:09 PM   #15
DTDSasquatch
Advanced Member

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
Unless you only value your life at $12...leave that POS at Harbor Freight. Strut Spring compressors are NOT the place to go saving money on a tool.
I have that exact one back home for use with VW springs, and it works quite well. I've actually found that you can't use heavier-duty spring compressors on some springs, because they won't fit between the coils.

You'd be a retard to use those cheap ones on truck/SUV springs, but I don't think there would be any issues at all with springs on small cars.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DTDSasquatch reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-21-2006, 04:14 PM   #16
SaturnTech
SaturnTech is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by DTDSasquatch
I have that exact one back home for use with VW springs, and it works quite well. I've actually found that you can't use heavier-duty spring compressors on some springs, because they won't fit between the coils.

You'd be a retard to use those cheap ones on truck/SUV springs, but I don't think there would be any issues at all with springs on small cars.
And when I Worked for a VW dealer we changed out the springs with compressor at all. They can be compressed by hand. You'd be surprised how much tension and energy is in a front spring on a car...it's enough to kill someone. If you're comfortable putting your life in the hands of a $12 tool, be my guest. I buy stuff from Harbor Freight all the time, the quality of their hand tools is non existant. I wouldn't even joke about using that tool on a set of strut springs, but to each their own.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnTech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnTech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnTech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 04:25 PM   #17
DTDSasquatch
Advanced Member

1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaturnTech
And when I Worked for a VW dealer we changed out the springs with compressor at all. They can be compressed by hand.
Mine were "heavy-duty" springs, which I later replaced with H&R springs using the same compressor. I also used it to install SVT Focus springs on my dad's ZX5.

There's nothing wrong with those spring compressors for small car springs.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-21-2006, 05:16 PM   #18
alleninpa
alleninpa will become famous soon enoughalleninpa will become famous soon enough

2009 AURA XR
1999 SL1

I have a set too.
Amazing how the $15 rotors are ok, but $12 spring compressors are not.
If you look around, I'm sure you can purchase the same spring compressors for $40, if it makes you feel better.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alleninpa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alleninpa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alleninpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 05:18 PM   #19
VEGAS_SATURN
VEGAS_SATURN is on a distinguished road

1997 SW2

How much will I pay to have someone change my struts???

I have 4 KYBs sitting in my garage. Not sure I want to attempt it myself.

1997 SW2
Performance: Short Ram, Magnaflow, SPS Wires
Sound: Alpine and Rockford Fosgate, Sirius Radio

Upcoming: KYB Struts are in the garage. Sound dampener is on the way.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VEGAS_SATURN's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VEGAS_SATURN reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VEGAS_SATURN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2006, 06:03 PM   #20
RDKamikaze

2002 SC1

We have those spring compressors for auto shop on cars, and some very nice heavy duty ones for trucks/SUV's. The cheap ones work great, you'd have to be a retard to kill yourself with them lol. Anyways, thanks for the tips guys and all that, these new struts are so much better!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!