SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-24-2005, 10:53 PM   #1
tgferg67global
tgferg67global will become famous soon enoughtgferg67global will become famous soon enough

Default Auto trans problems.. loose input shaft nut?

I have a 97 SC1 automatic with 130,000 miles, which has some trans problems. When cold the transmission will not engage into reverse unless I raise the rpm's and when hot it will not engage at all. This problem happened all at once, as there was not gradual increase of symptoms. The transmission has always shifted harder into reverse than into drive (reverse slam) but never seemed real bad (reverse slam).

Am I on the right track suspecting the input shaft nut?

How do you hold the input shaft from turning when installing the new nut "without" buying the $150 special tool?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tgferg67global's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tgferg67global reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tgferg67global is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-25-2005, 10:53 PM   #2
Scout238
Scout238 is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1
1996 SL1
Default Re: Auto trans problems.. loose input shaft nut?

Check your fluid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Scout238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Scout238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Scout238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 11:36 AM   #3
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgferg67global
I have a 97 SC1 automatic with 130,000 miles, which has some trans problems. When cold the transmission will not engage into reverse unless I raise the rpm's and when hot it will not engage at all. This problem happened all at once, as there was not gradual increase of symptoms. The transmission has always shifted harder into reverse than into drive (reverse slam) but never seemed real bad (reverse slam).

Am I on the right track suspecting the input shaft nut?

How do you hold the input shaft from turning when installing the new nut "without" buying the $150 special tool?
Before I dove into replacing the input shaft nut I'd try Wolfman's reverse slam cure. If that doesn't work, here's a link to info on dong the input shaft nut.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2005, 09:51 PM   #4
tgferg67global
tgferg67global will become famous soon enoughtgferg67global will become famous soon enough

It's the nut. I could amost turn it off by hand.

How does one tighten the nut without the special tool?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tgferg67global reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2005, 01:03 AM   #5
Scout238

1997 SL1
1996 SL1

Some, including myself, have used a C-clamp to hold it in place. Being careful not to gouge anything, I used the handle and put it up on the suspension componets. Seemed to work fine for me. Make sure to get a new nut. Costs a dollar or so at the dealer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Scout238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-27-2005, 06:52 AM   #6
tgferg67global

Thanks for the tip. All back together now and the transmission shifts fine and I have reverse again.

I wanted to point out that the generation of Saturns from 97 and up can not gain enough clearance for the lower trans mount stud when the engine is jacked up. The A/T is jacked up as high as it can go and the casting is contacting the subframe and there is still not enough clearance for the lower mount stud to clear. I had to use a cutoff wheel on the lower mount stud to shorten it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2005, 08:34 AM   #7
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

The transmission mount stud doesn't need to clear by jacking up the tranny. Jack up the tranny, take mount loose from the tranny, then you can tilt the mount and get it out. Here's a link to a video (Thanks Low Saturn!) that will give you the idea.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 09:54 AM   #8
Luke
Master Member
Luke will become famous soon enough

1995 SL2

Quote:
>Fm tgferg<
I wanted to point out that the generation of Saturns from 97 and up can not gain enough clearance for the lower trans mount stud when the engine is jacked up. The A/T is jacked up as high as it can go and the casting is contacting the subframe and there is still not enough clearance for the lower mount stud to clear.
That was the very problem I had with my '95SL2; It was necessary for me to fully lift the engine & transmission straight up. That was the only way I could get out, and replace, the lower transmission mount.

> 95 SL 2 = 649,619 Miles 40.4 MPG, as of 4/19/11. My manual Radiator Fan Switch, courtesy of Wolfman's patient installation guidance, continues to be.......invaluable <

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Luke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Luke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2005, 12:45 PM   #9
tgferg67global

Photo of the clearance issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2005, 01:06 PM   #10
Scout238

1997 SL1
1996 SL1

Ditto
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke
That was the very problem I had with my '95SL2; It was necessary for me to fully lift the engine & transmission straight up. That was the only way I could get out, and replace, the lower transmission mount.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-27-2005, 09:33 PM   #11
geartooth94
Master Member
geartooth94 will become famous soon enough

swap to manual trans. that will fix your problems.

1996 Dodge Avenger ES: 2.5L V6

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to geartooth94's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help geartooth94 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
geartooth94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2005, 12:47 PM   #12
S3aturnR
Master Member
S3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the roughS3aturnR is a jewel in the rough

1996 SL2
1999 SL1

Quote:
Originally Posted by tgferg67global
the tech manual told me to put the gearbox into 2 different gears simultaneously while torquing both the input and output shaft nuts. (easy to do when the unit is sitting on your workbench) they are single use items and come in the rebuild kit. oh, crap, you have the auto. i don't know if you can put it into 2 gears like the manual gearbox? got me, dude...

s3aturnr

"reno is a lot like maybury, except everyone's on crystal meth and prostitution's legal" - junior

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to S3aturnR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help S3aturnR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
S3aturnR is offline   Reply With Quote