SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Old 11-13-2005, 02:56 PM   #1
arendsg
arendsg is on a distinguished road

Default Bleeding clutch

How do you go about bleeding the clutch on a SL-2 with a DOHC?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to arendsg's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help arendsg reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
arendsg is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2005, 03:13 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: Bleeding clutch

You don't. It is a sealed system with no normal provision for bleeding the system. The ealy years had a small hex screw that some people have tried to bleed the system with but have not had long term success with as far as I know.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:31 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Then how do you get fluid in the system after changing the master or slave?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:41 PM   #4
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

You purchase the clutch hydraulic system as an entire unit from the stealership.. er dealership. The clutch master cylinder and slaved cylinder come together. It is pre bled, pre filled. Its a plug and play unit.. just bolt it on and you're good to go.

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RalliArt16 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2005, 04:47 PM   #5
BarnOwl
BarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really niceBarnOwl is just really nice

2000 SW2
1998 SL2

arendsg you probably bought a master or slave cylinder from a parts store. Here's what it says on Autozone's web site:

CAUTION: O.E. SYSTEM IS VERY DIFFICULT TO BLEED;
RECOMMENDED REPLACEMENT WITH PRE-BLED
COMBINATION CLUTCH MASTER AND SLAVE ASSEMBLY.

The thing is that the pre-bled assembly from Autozone is more expensive than the one from Saturn.

There is nothing more frightening than ignorance in action.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BarnOwl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BarnOwl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BarnOwl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 12:01 AM   #6
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

depends on your area- all AZs and saturnstores are priced diff'ent.
one saturnfan says he can bleed 'em, I forget who though. I made an attempt or 2 on the bench, couldn't get it, but I had a good used one so I didn't try all that hard.

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 09:50 PM   #7
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
You don't. It is a sealed system with no normal provision for bleeding the system. The ealy years had a small hex screw that some people have tried to bleed the system with but have not had long term success with as far as I know.
I did successfully bleed the clutch on my wifes 93 SC-2 (she no longer has it). It didn't give her any further problems prior to her totalling the car which was quite some time. I haven't tried or had the need to try any of our other "S" cars.

I have heard that the hex screw that existed on early slave cyls does not exist on the later models. But again, since I have not had a problem, I have not had the need to look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2005, 10:08 PM   #8
Sky King
Master Member
Sky King is on a distinguished road

1999 SC2
1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman
I did successfully bleed the clutch on my wifes 93 SC-2 (she no longer has it). It didn't give her any further problems prior to her totalling the car which was quite some time. I haven't tried or had the need to try any of our other "S" cars.

I have heard that the hex screw that existed on early slave cyls does not exist on the later models. But again, since I have not had a problem, I have not had the need to look.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sky King's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sky King reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sky King is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2009, 12:49 PM   #9
mrclean92124
mrclean92124 is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Bleed Sealed master/slave in-car with no mess! Worked great 8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 00 SLow View Post
I just finished going through hell chasing clutch problems after blowing a hole in the side of my bellhousing. After seeing lots of useful info about clutch related issues in the forum, I thought posting the directions that came with my new hydro assembly would be a be a useful addition. It's clean, dry, and doesn't require disassembling the slave.

I found it easier to bleed with the whole thing installed, with the slave hanging off the trans.

--- Twist the slave cylinder off the transmission, and point it vertically, with the pushrod facing the ground. With the cap off the reservoir, SLOWLY depress pushrod into the cylinder about an inch while watching the reservoir for bubbles. Repeat process until air bubbles no longer appear, usually about 10 to 15 strokes. With the cap still off, slowly press the pushrod in far enough to reconnect the bands on the retaining strap, if not already broken. Reinstall slave and replace the cap. Using short quick strokes, press the clutch pedal 20 to 30 times or until pedal is firm. Under normal usage, small anounts of air remaining will purge itself from the system. ---

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mrclean92124's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mrclean92124 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mrclean92124 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 01:44 PM   #10
hartley88
hartley88 is on a distinguished road

Just because the new system comes with fluid in it already doesn't mean it doesn't have air in it. I had to bleed mine. Have one person tilt (aprx 40 degrees) the master (where the fluid is insterted) and one person press in the metal piece on the slave.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hartley88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hartley88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hartley88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:10 PM   #11
hartley88
hartley88 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartley88 View Post
Just because the new system comes with fluid in it already doesn't mean it doesn't have air in it. I had to bleed mine. Have one person tilt (aprx 40 degrees) the master (where the fluid is insterted) and one person press in the metal piece on the slave.
Tilt the master with the piece that connnects to the clutch pedal tilted down towards the ground.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hartley88's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hartley88 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hartley88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:39 PM   #12
BlackPlastic
BlackPlastic is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

I've done 3 units so far, which wouldn't shift into gear at a stop because of lack of shift fork travel. Since the old fluid looked like crap I pumped it out and refilled it with full synthetic. You can hook up a Mity Vac to the resevoir and/or pump the slave cylinder. The Mity Vac comes in handy to get the air out of the master cylinder tho, that one you can hear the air when you pump it.

" Under normal usage, small anounts of air remaining will purge itself from the system." +1

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackPlastic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackPlastic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlackPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 02:45 PM   #13
BlackPlastic
BlackPlastic is on a distinguished road

1996 SC2
1995 SC2

I made a thread I suggested be put in the How-To section, but it got shot down for some reason.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BlackPlastic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BlackPlastic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BlackPlastic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2009, 03:07 PM   #14
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

A brand new system with air in it (before installation) is, by definition, defective, and should be exchanged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote