SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-07-2005, 04:24 AM   #1
bobbyrae
bobbyrae will become famous soon enoughbobbyrae will become famous soon enough

1993 SL2
Default How to identify the specific models: SL, SL1, SL2??

I have searched and couldn't find a thread on this, but I would guess there is one somewhere. I am asking since I am in the market for one of these cars and have gotten a bit confused as to how to differentiate a SL from a SL1 from a SL2.

I am also asking because it seems strange that they put no badges on the cars the way Honda will put DX, LX, EX so we know the trim levels. And sometimes owners and dealers really don't know what model they are selling! They will call it an SL when it is really an SL2, etc.

So far, I can see that the SL2 has the DOHC engine, painted bumpers, a big reflector across the trunk, and usually alloy wheels, while the SL1 has the SOHC engine, dark gray bumpers and wheel covers. But what about that base SL model? And are there any other differences?

Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bobbyrae's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bobbyrae reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bobbyrae is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-07-2005, 07:12 AM   #2
Tom92SCm
Master Member
Tom92SCm has a spectacular aura aboutTom92SCm has a spectacular aura about

2004 VUE 2.2L
Default Re: How to identify the specific models: SL, SL1, SL2??

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrae
....while the SL1 has the SOHC engine, dark gray bumpers and wheel covers. But what about that base SL model? And are there any other differences?

Thanks!!
You're correct on your SL2 vs SL1. For the SL, take an SL1 and remove the power steering, passenger side mirror and power windows and locks. It's possible that a base model SL only comes with a manual transmission.

--Tom

Not a Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tom92SCm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tom92SCm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tom92SCm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:40 PM   #3
steve-o
steve-o is on a distinguished road

1996 SL
2000 SL1

sl has optional power steering and optional air conditioning, auto trans not an option. black bumpers standard.
sl1 supposedly came with nicer interior, but my 96sl has cloth on doors and more comfortable seats than wife's 00 sl1.

mine came with pass. mirror, a/c (not working), manual trans, and am/fm/cass.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to steve-o's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help steve-o reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
steve-o is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 09:45 PM   #4
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

get the vehicle identification number (VIN) and have a Saturn retailer look up the model information for you.

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2005, 11:21 PM   #5
paulygon
paulygon is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

my friend has a manual sl2, same year as mine, without alloy rims, power locks or fogs. before his i didnt know there was a lot difference in trim you could get at the sl2 level, i knew leather and roof was an option, but power locks?? it also didnt have a tape deck, just a tuner. i gave my tape deck to him and got an aftermarket mp3cd player. i would assume his speakers aren't the premium ones either...mine were, but the two in the back were blown so i took them all out.

i would never buy a s-series if it wasn't a "2". i know the sohc gets better mileage, but i just dont think i would be able to stand the interior or even the non-matching bumpers.

apparently there's also a "homecoming edition" of sorts? whats the dif between the loaded up sl2 like mine (leather, sun, fogs, power everything) and the homecoming edition?

Paul H
My car and I have started to look like each other

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to paulygon's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help paulygon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
paulygon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:30 AM   #6
Token
Advanced Member
Token is on a distinguished road

1994 SW2

The easiest way to distinguish between these models is to open the hood.

"Some days your the dog, some days your the hydrant."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Token's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Token reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Token is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:01 AM   #7
marcusa
marcusa is on a distinguished road

1997 SL1

Homecoming was limited and only came out in 1994 and 1999 to celebrate the Saturn homecoming. I'm not sure on the 94, but the 99 had a unique color. THere's also numerous pther refinements and touches like white-faced gauges. There's some photos of Spazie's Homecoming Edition Satty. Also, there was a 10th Anniversay Edition as well, there's some photos of Firemate's .

Hope that helps.

And one final thought, I don't think the sl had auto transmission as an option, and I believe the tires may be skinnier than the SL1's as well, though don't quote me on that. I think SL was the budget model, SL1 was supposed to be more comfortable and economical and SL2 was more sporty and faster. The SC2 I drove a while back had a stiffer ride than my SL1 but handled much nicer and loved to rev.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to marcusa's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help marcusa reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
marcusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:05 AM   #8
twosaturns
Master Member
twosaturns will become famous soon enough

later SL1's also had painted bumpers. the easiest way to tell if you're walking the lot is to look in the window. SL & SL1 had intergrated headrests; SL2 had separate headrests. 14" wheels on SL & SL1; 15" on SL2. SL1 could have pwr pkg as an option, or even a roof. hardly any options on an SL.
what you really want is a base SL. that way, it already is missing the pwr steering and AC, and has the wide ratio 5 speed. swap on a DOHC head, (you'll then have the low compression from the SOHC pistions) get a big fat turbo and intercooler the width of the car, and go start spankin' type R's.

I guess I got off topic there, huh?

for the first time in 8 years, I don't own a saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to twosaturns's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help twosaturns reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
twosaturns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 09:57 AM   #9
Citation84
Master Member
Citation84 will become famous soon enoughCitation84 will become famous soon enough

2005 ION-1 Sedan

Early [thru 95]SL had "soccer ball" type hubcaps,[SL1's hub caps were referred to by Saturn as "spiderweb"] came in a limited # of colors, had cloth AND vinyl seats and manual steering and trans were all that was available.
Finally saw one for myself and pulled over to check it out. It's very subtle.
Also: some SLs DID come with power steering when the factory ran out of manual units it simply installed the power ones.
SL1 gave you a longer options list, "better" interior fabrics a wider range of colors.
LOVE the charcoal bumpers BTW. Totally utilitarian, don't show nicks, scratches or scrapes like painted ones do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Citation84's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Citation84 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Citation84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 12:31 PM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
get the vehicle identification number (VIN) and have a Saturn retailer look up the model information for you.
Or save yourself a trip and look here:

http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...in_decode.html

The fifth digit tells exactly what trim level it is.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2005, 01:47 PM   #11
ASE_Tek0312
ASE_Tek0312 is on a distinguished road

The SL2 has an MP3 transmission that is built for the DOHC engine power band and the SL1 has an MP2 transmission that has the gear ratios set up for the SOHC power band. The DOHC redline is 6500 and the SOHC redline is 5500. The DOHC is rated at 124 HP and the SOHC is rated at 100 HP. Early SOHC (1st gen) were TBI and rated at 85 HP. The SL2 bumpers have holes for foglamps. ummm thats all I can think of...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ASE_Tek0312's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ASE_Tek0312 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ASE_Tek0312 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 04:35 PM   #12
bgates2b
bgates2b is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
1994 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcusa
Homecoming was limited and only came out in 1994 and 1999 to celebrate the Saturn homecoming. I'm not sure on the 94, but the 99 had a unique color. ...
The 94 HCE came in the unique color of Mother of Pearl. The side mirrors were also painted body color instead of black like all 93/94 SL2's (91/92 had body colored mirrors). The alloy wheels were the ones used on the SC2's, it had grey interior, the seats were grey cloth inserts with leather outers, rear headrests too. Mine had the rear deck spoiler, I am not sure if all HCE came with it or not.

"Congratulations on your brand new 2007 Acura" - Tenisha, the On*Star rep that handled my call during the Aura's delivery

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bgates2b's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bgates2b reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bgates2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 07:52 PM   #13
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgates2b
The 94 HCE came in the unique color of Mother of Pearl. The side mirrors were also painted body color instead of black like all 93/94 SL2's (91/92 had body colored mirrors). The alloy wheels were the ones used on the SC2's, it had grey interior, the seats were grey cloth inserts with leather outers, rear headrests too. Mine had the rear deck spoiler, I am not sure if all HCE came with it or not.
The rear headrests are kinda cool. I installed them into my 1995 SL2. Most people dont know this, but all late model 93's, 94's and 95 sedans have the provisions for rear headrests. Just need to order two escutcheon's. Saturn part number 21039508. And get two headrests. I got mine off one of our parts car. Then cut out the holes in the rear carpet and you're all set.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2005, 09:22 PM   #14
eRic 02sc2
eRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura abouteRic 02sc2 has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobbyrae

I am also asking because it seems strange that they put no badges on the cars the way Honda will put DX, LX, EX so we know the trim levels.
Thanks!!
badges? we don't need no stinking badges!

eRic 02sc2
DR SCCA Solo 2001,2002 1st DSP
WHRRi 2007,2010 Fun Run 1st
DR SCCA 2008 Triathalon 1st PF
DR SCCA Solo 2009 2nd ST
DR SCCA Solo 2010 1st ST
Crutchfield: pkeqe-6j8e3-d2qqe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eRic 02sc2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eRic 02sc2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eRic 02sc2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 10:06 PM   #15
paulygon

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
The rear headrests are kinda cool. I installed them into my 1995 SL2. Most people dont know this, but all late model 93's, 94's and 95 sedans have the provisions for rear headrests. Just need to order two escutcheon's. Saturn part number 21039508. And get two headrests. I got mine off one of our parts car. Then cut out the holes in the rear carpet and you're all set.
looks awesome, im going to get me some of those

anybody have some tan leather headrests (and the appropriate escutcheon) laying around that i could buy off?

Paul H

Last edited by paulygon; 11-10-2005 at 10:11 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help paulygon reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-10-2005, 10:54 PM   #16
tenn734
tenn734 is on a distinguished road

sl/sl1 = skinny wheels

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tenn734's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tenn734 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tenn734 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 12:17 AM   #17
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulygon
looks awesome, im going to get me some of those

anybody have some tan leather headrests (and the appropriate escutcheon) laying around that i could buy off?

They only make the escutcheon in charcoal. You'll have to paint it tan to mateh your interior.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2005, 06:35 AM   #18
Satman
Satman is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by eRic 02sc2
badges? we don't need no stinking badges!
Yes, we do need badges. I can't tell what I'm driving.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Satman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Satman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Satman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 09:26 AM   #19
paulygon

1995 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn
They only make the escutcheon in charcoal. You'll have to paint it tan to mateh your interior.
The ones in my car are tan. Huh. Painting them ain't a big deal though.
I better make sure we're talking about the same thing...the escutcheon is the plastic little piece with the holes in it that the headrest slides into--correct?

Paul H

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 11-11-2005, 09:57 AM   #20
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulygon
The ones in my car are tan. Huh. Painting them ain't a big deal though.
I better make sure we're talking about the same thing...the escutcheon is the plastic little piece with the holes in it that the headrest slides into--correct?

You got it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!