SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2005, 11:01 PM   #1
Adam1027
Adam1027 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2
Default draining antifreeze/coolant

can anyone tell me where to find the drain valve for a radiator on a 1994 saturn sc2?

also, how exactly do i "flush" the radiator after its drained?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Adam1027's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Adam1027 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-27-2005, 11:39 PM   #2
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2
Default Re: draining antifreeze/coolant

Ok heres the low down on how to flush:

1)Jack the vehicle up on jackstands (one per side a few inches away from the front wheels along the metal lip that runs along side of car).

2)The 'petcock' (drain valve) is located on the RIGHT bottom side of radiator. A big plastic piece/protector covers the bottom of the radiator. However, there is a hole in this piece that allows you to access the drain valve, although its a little tight fit. Turn it COUNTERCLOCKWISE and pull down slightly. Be careful! The fluid with shoot out with force.. it is suggested to do this with an ICE COLD car cuz the fluid is really hot. Have a BIG bucket positioned under this valve. Let drain. LEAVE THE VALVE OPEN FOR NOW.

3)To "flush" it run a hose through the coolant tank until the water coming out the petcock is clear. If your coolant is SEVERELY neglected, skip this step for now, fill up with a product such as RADIATOR FLUSH/CLEANER(available at wal-mart among other places) and then top it off with distilled water. Run this for a few days to "clean" the system. THen flush it again the normal way.

4)After running a hose through, open up the engine block drain plug. It is near the petcock, but obviously on the engine block itself. You need a socket wrench for this (dont remember exact size, its pretty small ~10mm?).
Let the coolant drain from this then screw back in.

5)Close the petcock. LOWER the car then fill up with a 50%/50% mix of water and antifreeze (the coolant cap should have a colored dot for which kind). *my personal preference is to buy "pre-mixed" 50/50 antifreeze, also available at wal-mart. Straight antifreeze is SUPER CONCENTRATED and should never be added umixed!

*you may want to let it sit a while or let the car idle after doing this. Usually after it circulates you will need to top it off with more coolant*
*as for disposing of antifreeze, you 'can' severely dilute it with water and run it down your sink without worry.*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 12:15 AM   #3
Silver02ex
Silver02ex is on a distinguished road

1991 SL2

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...light=radiator

2002 Honda Civic EX
1991 Saturn SL2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Silver02ex's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Silver02ex reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 10:44 AM   #4
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16
3)To "flush" it run a hose through the coolant tank until the water coming out the petcock is clear. If your coolant is SEVERELY neglected, skip this step for now, fill up with a product such as RADIATOR FLUSH/CLEANER(available at wal-mart among other places) and then top it off with distilled water. Run this for a few days to "clean" the system. THen flush it again the normal way.
Does this flush solution also protect against freezing? (I've never used it before.)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 03:23 PM   #5
RalliArt16
RalliArt16 is on a distinguished road

1996 SC1
1995 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razorbak
Does this flush solution also protect against freezing? (I've never used it before.)
I dont think so. On the back of the label it just says it helps get rid of all the rust in the system and clean it out. There is another product by Prestone(which makes all these antifreeze additives i've mentioned) called "radiator treatment". It says you add it and it lubricates and protects the system.. so that *may* help against freezing, not too sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RalliArt16's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RalliArt16 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:05 PM   #6
Adam1027
Adam1027 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC2

thanks a ton RalliArt, exactly the info i needed. *thumbs up*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Adam1027's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Adam1027 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 06:57 PM   #7
Razorbak
Master Member
Razorbak is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by RalliArt16
I dont think so. On the back of the label it just says it helps get rid of all the rust in the system and clean it out. There is another product by Prestone(which makes all these antifreeze additives i've mentioned) called "radiator treatment". It says you add it and it lubricates and protects the system.. so that *may* help against freezing, not too sure.
That's what I thought. OK, just to be clear, you should modify your previous recommendation...

"If your coolant is SEVERELY neglected, skip this step for now, fill up with a product such as RADIATOR FLUSH/CLEANER(available at wal-mart among other places) and then top it off with distilled water. Run this for a few days to "clean" the system. THen flush it again the normal way.

... to prevent someone from using this stuff in the middle of winter, and then leaving the car overnight where this slurry freezes inside the radiator and the block.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Razorbak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Razorbak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-28-2005, 07:52 PM   #8
emptypockets
emptypockets is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1

Quote:
So you run it with no antifreeze at all? Is that going to make the temp rise/fall faster than normal? I would think that the cooling properties of this stuff mixed with just distilled water would make a long highway drive for someone like myself(1 hour round trip) a little different than normal. Anyone know from experience? By the way, awesome "How To" RalliArt

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to emptypockets's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help emptypockets reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread