SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #1
dantheman70
dantheman70 is on a distinguished road

Default Emissions and sensors, 99 SL1

Recently, my1999 SL1 failed emissions inspection in Maryland:

Code P0452 EVAP Control System Pressure Sensor Low Input

Took it to a mechanic, and he replaced the fuel cap. Went for reinspection, and the same failure code was produced.

The mechanic thinks it's the sensor, although his initial check of the sensor showed that it was fine.

The car has had little wrong with it other than a recent brake job. It has ~64,000 miles. I bought it brand new.

My question - and I realize this may not be answerable - is this: How much do you think a new sensor will cost? Does anyone here have an idea of the range?

I'm hoping the biggest part of the bill will be the labor.. Any help appreciated, TIA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dantheman70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dantheman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-22-2004, 11:50 PM   #2
wrg813
wrg813 is on a distinguished road

P0452 is not a common code for that year or model. Once the fuel cap was replaced, were the codes cleared?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wrg813's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wrg813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:07 AM   #3
dantheman70

That's a good question, wrg813. I thought they had been. The SES light, which had been on prior to the fuel-cap replacement, was not on when I drove the car home. However, the next day, it was back on.

So the short answer - I dunno. I'll have to ask the mechanic to recheck that before he does any real work on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dantheman70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:13 AM   #4
wrg813

Did the SES light come on before reinspection or after?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wrg813 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 12:16 AM   #5
dantheman70

Before. IT came on when I started the car that morning. After work, I went over to the inspection station. It never went off.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2004, 12:23 AM   #6
wrg813

I pm'd you with my htmail, I will try and send you in the right direction. Instant message!

Last edited by wrg813; 10-23-2004 at 12:28 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2004, 08:14 AM   #7
dantheman70

Whoops, didn't see this before I finally went to bed for the night..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2004, 08:24 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The pressure sensor is in the fuel tank. Part of the fuel pump module. Replacement requires removing the tank. (Sorry) in past instances I have found however that the sensor rarely fails. It is most likely (in order of probability)

1. Bad gas cap.
2. Loose rubber sleaves on filler pipe to tank junctions causing a vacuum leak
3. Bad/loose wiring to the sensor at the splice pack located under the carpet, driver's side trunk wheel well area.
4. Loose or bad hose connection at the carbon canister, CCPS (carbon canister purge solenoid) or tank vapor line at the tank.
5. HOLE in the gas tank. (Seen people drill right into the top of the gas tank on occasion when installing a stereo amp in the trunk area of the car)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 08:43 PM   #9
dantheman70

Well, we know it's not the gas cap, because that was replaced.

I hope the fuel pump or tank don't need to be replaced. That I surely can't afford.

In a perfect world, the parts will cost less than the labor. I know removing/reinstalling the pump or tank is time consuming.

I don't seem to be leaking gas, so I don't think #5 is applicable. I could be wrong, though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-23-2004, 09:24 PM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

The hole could be on the TOP of the tank (hence the drill through senario I posted) Anything that allows air to free flow into or out of the tank in anything other than a VERY slight amount will trip the tank pressure sensor and SES light. Pull up the velcro attatched trunk carpet where it meets the rear seat bottoms in the trunk and look at the sheet metal. Any sign of drilled holes are suspect. If you do find one. Simply installing a tight fitting sheet metal screw with some RTV sealant on the threads will usually reseal the hole and fix this issue. (Ask me how I know that)

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-23-2004, 09:44 PM   #11
dantheman70

I'll look for the drilled holes tomorrow morning.

I've added your comments to the note I've written to the mechanic - I'm dropping the car off Monday morning.

I suspect it'll cost four arms and eleven legs, which I can't afford.

I greatly appreciate the help here, guys.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-24-2004, 11:37 AM   #12
dantheman70

Update - I did look for the holes. Saw nothing at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2004, 06:50 AM   #13
wrg813

Sorry, but I've been away from the comp. Wolfman has given you very good and complete advice. Let me add... make sure the new fuel cap is OEM. P0452 actually has to do with low voltage. Battery replaced recently? Once the code is confirmed cleared and the SES light does not come back on, you will have to go through a drive cycle to get the I/M(inspection/maintenance) part of the PCM to read ready or pass.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2004, 07:11 AM   #14
dantheman70

Drive cycle as in...... start 'er up, drive around, turn 'er off? Does that constitute a cycle?

The battery has not been replaced recently. Wouldn't it be something if that's all it was? In fact, I'm pretty sure it's the original.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-25-2004, 07:14 AM   #15
Mork
Mork is on a distinguished road

Check all houses in the EVap system. If none are off or broken,
replace the pressure sensor located on the top of the float assembly. This will cure the problem. been there done that.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mork's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mork reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-25-2004, 08:05 AM   #16
wrg813

Drive cycle for Pcm being 50 or more miles under various conditions. Try a search for "Drive Cycle". I believe someone posted a GM example that should work for Saturn.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Closed Thread