SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Advanced Forum Search | Advanced Photo Search

Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 09:59 AM   #1
donosborn
donosborn is on a distinguished road

Default '95 Saturn SL1 - alternator removal question

Hi,
I have been trying to remove the alternator from my '95 Saturn SL1 sedan. I finally got it entirely unscrewed and it is loose. However, for the life of me I can not pull it out of the engine. It is too small of an area for it to come down. I can't even get it below that bottom piece of metal where the main, lower bolt passes through.

I have the front wheel off as well as some plastic piece that was behind the wheel.

Does anyone have any advice? I would appreciate it.

thanks
Don

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to donosborn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help donosborn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2003, 10:33 AM   #2
IDB
IDB is on a distinguished road

if you have the bolts off the only thing you can do is wiggle the hell out of it untill it comes out.. its a pain i know but thats realy the only way you will get it out

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to IDB's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help IDB reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2003, 12:47 PM   #3
dixonba
dixonba is on a distinguished road

2007 ION-2 Sedan

it can be done...

I got it out through the wheel well splash guard.

You could also try unbolting the power steering and moving it to the side...its only three bolts.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dixonba's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dixonba reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2003, 12:54 PM   #4
TedL
TedL is on a distinguished road

Remove pass side wheel, and splash guards. Alt comes out through space behind the strut.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TedL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TedL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:43 PM   #5
amazinghl
Master Member
amazinghl is on a distinguished road

Default Re: '95 Saturn SL1 - alternator removal question

Quote:
Originally posted by donosborn
I can't even get it below that bottom piece of metal where the main, lower bolt passes through.
Take that bar off, it's only coupe of bolts.

I did.

89 CSX 99.7 mph trap and climbing
85 GLH 102 mph trap
94 855

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to amazinghl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help amazinghl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2003, 01:54 PM   #6
donosborn
donosborn is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Re: '95 Saturn SL1 - alternator removal question

Quote:
Originally posted by amazinghl
Take that bar off, it's only coupe of bolts.

I did.
Really? That would do it. I didn't see where that piece comes off. If we are talking about the same piece, that is. The piece I am talking about looks like it is just part of the whole engine block. Maybe it's not. Hmm.

thanks
don

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to donosborn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help donosborn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-08-2003, 02:42 PM   #7
Saturn-Eh!
Saturn-Eh! is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Re: Re: '95 Saturn SL1 - alternator removal question

Quote:
Originally posted by donosborn
Really? That would do it. I didn't see where that piece comes off. If we are talking about the same piece, that is. The piece I am talking about looks like it is just part of the whole engine block. Maybe it's not. Hmm.

thanks
don
I think AmazingHL is referring to the intake brace that is present on DOHC equipped cars. That peice would not be present on a SOHC...

I'm assuming that you have power steering, as removing the alternator from an SL is easy, right out the top. It's likely that the P/S lines are preventing you from getting the alternator back past the block. Just unclip the lines (in their retainer bracket) from the rack, and push them back over the rack. then push the alternator toward the driver's side of the car while wiggling it past the P/S lines. Once past the lines, the alternator will drop down and be removable through the wheel well.

All this assumes that you have the alternator off the block (big aluminum part the bolt goes through. If the alternator wont come off of this, pry gently between the alt and the block with a medium sized screw driver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Saturn-Eh!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Saturn-Eh! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread