SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-04-2012, 12:56 PM   #1
brokendown
brokendown is on a distinguished road

1999 SL
Default Quill bearing - DIY or impossible?

I remember now that I was previously told that my 'quill bearing' had a leak. Not having $1800 for the clutch job let alone the additional to do the quill bearing, I just did the clutch myself and hope to drive the car for awhile before having to touch the quill bearing. But i'm sure it will be a problem sooner or later, and it sounds like eventually foul the clutch as well. (but it cant be too severe of a leak, as I recall they reported to me it was leaking 75,000 miles before the clutch finally went out, and the clutch had 175,000 miles on it, so i'm hoping it's not one of those "borrowed time" type problems)

I'm curious if there is a way to do the job yourself, or what exactly is involved. What should it cost and who has to do it, if I just bring in a transmission for them to do it with for instance.

I'm thinking it might even make more sense to find a low mile junkyard transmission, have that inspected, and just swap transmissions instead of trying to pull this one and have the job done. It sounds like it may be a similar amount of work.

My shifter has always been a bit clunky - is this possibly related to the quill bearing?

Also is there anything I can do to postpone what problems it will create? (this can include 'not driving much in summer' if necessary, as it seemed in the winter the leaks tended to stop)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brokendown's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brokendown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brokendown is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-04-2012, 01:05 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: Quill bearing - DIY or impossible?

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78557
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70032

Sounds like you should have replaced the bearing before/during replacing the clutch. Gotta pull the transmission out, and "dump it out" on a table.
Guide on tearing apart the 5spd: http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...sassembly.html

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 03:42 PM   #3
brokendown

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78557
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70032

Sounds like you should have replaced the bearing before/during replacing the clutch. Gotta pull the transmission out, and "dump it out" on a table.
Guide on tearing apart the 5spd: http://www.differentracing.com/tech_...sassembly.html
Wouldn't have been possible even if I had to. Too cold, no engine hoist, and spending too much on gas with the backup car - even if I just need to put in a 2nd clutch before long, I save it on gas driving this and it's worth it. Even if I do a whole nother clutch job this summer or something.

I'd seen both those threads in a search before (and one turned up as a 6 year necromancy which inspired me to rethink of it) I guess I should have been more clear - how much of the disassembly can I do myself, like can I remove a part from the transmission while it's in the vehicle, or do I pull the engine, or somehow have to drop the entire subframe... do I bring in the entire transmission, or do I disassemble the transmission and bring in one part of it to a general machine shop with the part and instructions, or does it have to go to a saturn specialty shop, or etc etc. I was also wondering if there were any other threads or if someone had figured out a DIY way to do it despite the apparent need for a press whether it's building your own jig and using a bottle jack or who knows what else... I dont understand the process basically or how precise/how much force is needed. I've seen other people improvise workarounds without specialty tools, didn't know if that was one of those or not.

I'm trying to figure out (now that I have the confidence after having done a clutch job I thought I couldn't) what would be involved to do it all myself to minimize the professional cost, and to figure out how to do it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help brokendown reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2012, 03:45 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Keep the fluid level no higher than 1/2 way upon the crosshatch when cold. The quill assembly replacement is not a god DIY project so it is easier and probably cheaper to just dig up a good used transmission.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

The unasked question - by what process was it determined that you need to replace the quill bearing? What were the symptoms, and how was it subsequently diagnosed? (Okay, that's multiple unasked questions.....)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2012, 05:53 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Careful critical reading of the initial post indicates someone informed him that the clutch and leaking quill seal job would be a mere 1800.00. The fact is they all seep fluid and if the trans is filled to the top of the crosshatch when cold they leak ever more. So that is why the owners manual has a picture with an arrow pointing at 1/2 way up on the crosshatch. It is a problem when you see red fluid on the ground under the car after it sits overnight.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #7
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Presumably a fluid leak at the tranny/engine joint, then. Which, of course, could also be from a diff pin slip poking an internal hole into the "bellhousing" area. Thus the diagnosis question. Perhaps $1800 is the monthly speedboat loan payment....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-04-2012, 10:10 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Any of the manuals that are always over filled will show signs of ATF on the input shaft and in the bell housing at a level that the "mechanic" can claim the seal is leaking and should be replaced. They all seep slightly and if submerged in ATF tend to leak more. That is probably why Normal Level cold is 1/2 way up on the crosshatch as that maintains the level below the input shaft at rest. They have to be leaking impressively to ever get oil on the clutch disk

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 11:58 AM   #9
brokendown

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
The unasked question - by what process was it determined that you need to replace the quill bearing? What were the symptoms, and how was it subsequently diagnosed? (Okay, that's multiple unasked questions.....)
A leak assumedly... do I fully trust the dealer the work was done at? Not perfectly but alot better than most dealers but i'm sure they would err on the side of "more work for us".

I know one axle seal is leaking, slowly, after I get that replaced at some future time i'll see whether there are still additional leaks - else i'll be confusing the axle seal for the trans. But even in case it's not an issue.. the quill bearing is a weak point, and if i'm going to keep my saturn for a million miles I might as well know about it. It could go bad on whatever transmission I replace it with too. So what I might want to do is swap transmissions in the future, then rebuild the old transmission including quill bearing to have a good one on the shelf to swap back in the future. (unless simply buying additional junkyard trannies is literally cheaper, which it may be... what should it go for vs professionally replacing the quill bearing?)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:24 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Input shaft bearing and/or seal failure is not a common failure. I would devote my "what if" worry time to something of a much higher probability like diff pin failure or Sky Lab falling on you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:28 PM   #11
brokendown

1999 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
Input shaft bearing and/or seal failure is not a common failure. I would devote my "what if" worry time to something of a much higher probability like diff pin failure or Sky Lab falling on you.
So it's not common? :P The dealer implied "they all do past 100k" so I assumed I better know how to do it.. or maybe that's how he's paying for his third house..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2012, 12:38 PM   #12
madpogue

1996 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
I would devote my "what if" worry time to something of a much higher probability like diff pin failure [strike]or[/strike] AND Sky Lab falling on you on the same day.
Fixed.
Quote:
Originally Posted by brokendown View Post
So it's not common? :P The dealer implied "they all do past 100k" so I assumed I better know how to do it.. or maybe that's how he's paying for his third house..
He's absolutely right. Once the mortgage on the summer villa and the remaining debt on the ski boat get past $100k, every tranny leak is a qull failure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!