SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-14-2011, 08:59 PM   #1
ZepSL2
ZepSL2 is on a distinguished road

Default How does one re-sync remote key less entry?

How does one re-sync remote key less entry? I do not have an owners manual can someone take a look in theirs and paste here the exact procedure? I tried holding the lock and unlock buttons down at the same time for 14 seconds but that didn't work. I'm thinking there must be more to it?

I have been trying to get my remote to work for a month now. It unlocks the drivers door only and does not lock any doors now (though the horn beeps once when lock button is pressed then 3 times if i press the lock button again)

A huge thanks!

2000 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ZepSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ZepSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ZepSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-14-2011, 09:49 PM   #2
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2
Default Re: How does one re-sync remote key less entry?

Year and model?

Owner's manuals are a-plenty on eBay. Besides the AAA card, it's one of the handiest things to carry in the glove box.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 05:57 PM   #3
ZepSL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by madpogue View Post
Year and model?

Owner's manuals are a-plenty on eBay. Besides the AAA card, it's one of the handiest things to carry in the glove box.
2000 SL2 DOHC

thanks!

2000 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ZepSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2011, 06:01 PM   #4
ZepSL2

Quote:
i looked on ebay but the only one i found was a 2001 and it was for like 3 types of cars SL SC SW IIRC. It may be fine and the instructions same for all makes and models but i wasn't sure so i figured i had better ask here.

thanks!

2000 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-15-2011, 06:29 PM   #5
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Yes, that remote will be compatible; 2000-2002 all S-Series with RKE use the same fob.

But alas, since it's gen-3, you cannot program it yourself, like you can with the '96-'99 cars. Programming requires a GM Tech-II scan tool. GM dealers, including those designated as your nearby "Authorized Saturn Service Spa" (or whatever the kids are calling it these days) will have one, and will charge you aprx. one service manager's monthly boat payment to press seven or eight buttons. You might get lucky and find a nearby tech, vocational or community college with an auto tech/service program, who will do it for aprx. one case of diet Mountain Dew and one case of Code Red for the shop's soda machine.

The above costs are estimates; YMMV.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:52 PM   #6
ZepSL2

Quote:
Yes, that remote will be compatible; 2000-2002 all S-Series with RKE use the same fob.

But alas, since it's gen-3, you cannot program it yourself, like you can with the '96-'99 cars. Programming requires a GM Tech-II scan tool. GM dealers, including those designated as your nearby "Authorized Saturn Service Spa" (or whatever the kids are calling it these days) will have one, and will charge you aprx. one service manager's monthly boat payment to press seven or eight buttons. You might get lucky and find a nearby tech, vocational or community college with an auto tech/service program, who will do it for aprx. one case of diet Mountain Dew and one case of Code Red for the shop's soda machine.

The above costs are estimates; YMMV.
i do not need it programmed though, surely re-sync is not the same thing. the FOB has not changed, the car did. After battery was pulled to get work done and the remote lock system all went to heck lol.

So there is no re-sync instructions in an owners manual?

thanks

2000 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2011, 05:26 PM   #7
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepSL2 View Post
So there is no re-sync instructions in an owners manual?
Yes, there is. The owners manual says to hold the lock & unlock buttons for 10 seconds to re-sync.

I would take apart the remote fob and make sure the contacts on the circuit board are clean.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:11 PM   #8
madpogue

1996 SW2

My bad; I read "eBay" and assumed you were talking about buying a replacement fob. Sorry for the confusion. So yeah, if the fob once danced with the car, a resync a la owner's manual should work. +1 on the cleaning; bottom-side of the buttons on the rubber membrane, contact areas on the board, make sure the battery contacts are clean, etc.

2001 owner's manual should be close enough to your 2000 car; 2000-2002 are all third-generation. There were some body changes to the coupes in 2001, but not the sedans.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:54 AM   #9
ZepSL2

Quote:
My bad; I read "eBay" and assumed you were talking about buying a replacement fob. Sorry for the confusion. So yeah, if the fob once danced with the car, a resync a la owner's manual should work. +1 on the cleaning; bottom-side of the buttons on the rubber membrane, contact areas on the board, make sure the battery contacts are clean, etc.

2001 owner's manual should be close enough to your 2000 car; 2000-2002 are all third-generation. There were some body changes to the coupes in 2001, but not the sedans.
ok i think it will get that then. Id di clean it and all buttons work fine but the re-sync doesn't do anything grrr.....

thanks

2000 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2011, 05:57 AM   #10
ZepSL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
Yes, there is. The owners manual says to hold the lock & unlock buttons for 10 seconds to re-sync.

I would take apart the remote fob and make sure the contacts on the circuit board are clean.
yeah I cleaned all the buttons and made sure all 4 of them worked
and they do but re-sync changed nothing. sigh...

if re-sync works does the car horn sound or anything to indicate it worked
or a try was made? I get NO response at all.

I wonder what changed after i had work done on the car that could do this.

thanks

2000 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-19-2011, 07:13 AM   #11
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Pressing LOCK & UNLOCK over 7 seconds to resynch the remote to the bcm should result in the door locks cycling to indicate communications established with the remote. No door locks cycling would mean failure to resynch. If only LOCK works then it suggests some part of the remote failed. A replacement would be the next step. Replacing a factory keyless remote would require GM to program the replacement(s).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 11:24 AM   #12
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZepSL2 View Post

It unlocks the drivers door only and does not lock any doors now (though the horn beeps once when lock button is pressed then 3 times if i press the lock button again)

A huge thanks!
Off of the top of my head, doesn't the horn beep when a lock attempt is made, mean that either a door or the trunk is open? I am sure that's what my 2000 SL1 does. Maybe your trunk latch switch is bad?

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2011, 11:28 AM   #13
mattelderca
mattelderca will become famous soon enough

1998 SC1
1996 SL

Hey Zep, did find a solution to your issue?

2000 SL1 freebie, my sons DD
1998 SC1 still running, FOR SALE cheap!
1996 SL, GONE but not forgotten
2005 Generic Silver Minivan (Kia Sedona)
2009 Nissan Sentra 2.0S

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mattelderca's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mattelderca reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mattelderca is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 06:17 PM   #14
dj1111
dj1111 will become famous soon enoughdj1111 will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1995 SC2

My original, and only key fob, would not stay together anymore so I purchased a new case with rubber buttons and a complete new OEM fob. Took them both to our local GM dealer to program them. Was told on the phone it would cost $24. per programming. Up to 4 fobs. When she was done with the 2 minutes of programming the woman said ok you're good to go. When I asked what the charges were she said "don't worry about it". She is one of those rare people that actually listened at customer service school. I now have one brand new fob and one that looks brand new for less than $50. Love it.

When I was younger I drove a lifted 4x4 truck with over sized tires. Needed a ladder to get into it. Now at 55 I drive an SL2 and need a ladder to get out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dj1111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dj1111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dj1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2011, 09:54 PM   #15
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Yes, there are people out there still capable of little things that make the biggest impressions. Your story reminds me of my Nikon needing nothing more than a battery when I thought all sorts of expensive repairs. She disappeared with my Nikon and reappeared minutes later to gently let me know that all it needed was a new battery. The Nikon tech also replaced the rear eye cover without charge!? I promptly went home and wrote a nasty letter to Nikon, pointing out this particular woman and how gracefully she handled the situation. Letting corporate know of the little things done by everyday people is one way to acknowledge the actions of a few.

There are people that still have the human touch............

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 11:33 AM   #16
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1111 View Post
Was told on the phone it would cost $24. per programming. Up to 4 fobs. When she was done with the 2 minutes of programming the woman said ok you're good to go. When I asked what the charges were she said "don't worry about it".
Was this for your 98? If so, they were probably embarassed to charge for a minute's worth of labor (using a paper clip and holding two buttons down on the remote)

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2011, 07:18 PM   #17
dj1111
dj1111 will become famous soon enoughdj1111 will become famous soon enough

2000 SL2
1995 SC2

It was for my 2000 SL2. Requires the GM scan tool to program. And it did take only about 2 minutes to program 2 remotes.

When I was younger I drove a lifted 4x4 truck with over sized tires. Needed a ladder to get into it. Now at 55 I drive an SL2 and need a ladder to get out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dj1111's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dj1111 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dj1111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 12:35 AM   #18
ZepSL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattelderca View Post
Hey Zep, did find a solution to your issue?
yes it was the door power lock switch. It went bad and the switch
always stayed in contact because a piece of plastic broke. So the FOB
would issue a command but since the switch was making contact
24/7 it was overriding i guess. My battery was also slowly getting drained
because of it as well.

I spent $15 for a new switch popped it in and everything works now.

The switch was very poorly made just like the power windows master control
switches. I had to replace that whole thing as well 6 months ago because
3 of the 4 switches failed. Again VERY cheap plastic and poor design.

2000 SL2 DOHC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2011, 10:02 AM   #19
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj1111 View Post
It was for my 2000 SL2. Requires the GM scan tool to program. And it did take only about 2 minutes to program 2 remotes.
Ah, then you found a good dealership.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote