SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Reference Forums > Mods and Performance
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-13-2003, 06:52 AM   #1
saturnmanSC2
saturnmanSC2 is on a distinguished road

Default valve job

what exactly is a valve job. 3 angle and 5 angle? What does it do performance wise?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnmanSC2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnmanSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2003, 10:21 AM   #2
cloud819
Master Member
cloud819 will become famous soon enough

2001 SC2

The 3 angle valve job means that three angles are ground into the valve and the head. This would give the valve 2 edges, one for each time an angle meets a grind on the head. Each edge on the valve then has a coresponding suface on the head, which is contacts to make a seal. The more seals the less power lost to leaks around the valve. It is also argued that since the valve is better shaped then the classic 2 angle job you get less restriction for intake and exhaust.

5 angle valve jobs are really the same deal, but use 5 grinds. This makes a total of 4 seals. 5 angle vavle jobs are frowned upon for engines that are daily drivers because the works cost a bit more, for little imporvement and the jury is still out on if the 5 angle valve job has wear issues, sinch each grind is smaller.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cloud819's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cloud819 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 03:22 PM   #3
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

i've heard of 5 angle valve jobs, but what about a radius valve job? how are these,performance wise?

www.bold-fortune.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 03:24 PM   #4
saturnmanSC2

so waht about a power increase? anything noticabel? I guess if you had intake and exhaust it would meen more right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help saturnmanSC2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 06:44 PM   #5
sc2dave
sc2dave is on a distinguished road

do some porting on the head, and a valve job, and mill the head while you're at it, that will give you some power,but i don't know how much

www.bold-fortune.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to sc2dave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help sc2dave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 08:13 PM   #6
wingnut
wingnut is on a distinguished road

Default angles

Stock valves are angled at 45deg along the edge where they contact the valve seat to seal of the combustion chamber. the idea of a multi-angle job is to provide a smoother path for the air to flow around the edges. This will provide a small power increase. Porting the heads will have a bigger increase.

I am having my head done in May and I will be installing Stainless Steel cutback valves so I will let you know how it goes.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wingnut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wingnut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2003, 09:49 PM   #7
saturnmanSC2

thanx. and how much does al this cost. i work at a place were i get 50% off labor and 20 on parts ect, so i thought it would be worth while to do something that is labor intensive as thats what i save on the most. I would like to here how the new head goes too. thanx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-13-2003, 09:59 PM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Cost can vary GREATLY. My local machine shop charges me $125 for SOHC, $150 for DOHC if I bring the parts. This includes, hot tank, "standard valve job" new valve guide seals installed, check for cracks/warpage. New valves (if needed) are extra.

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2003, 06:27 AM   #9
saturnmanSC2

i could deal with 150$. I stillwunna know what exactly ill get out of it hp wise. i think im gunna do it though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2003, 10:29 AM   #10
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Without exstensive porting and polishing work and assuming the bottom end of the engine is "like new", a "standard" valve job will get you back to square one...the output of the engine (+/-) when "new"

"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2003, 02:28 PM   #11
saturnmanSC2

really.... so it wont do jack is whaqt your telling me? What about the porting & polishing? why would anyone do that then if you dont get anythinb out of it?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2003, 03:02 PM   #12
SC1-GTR
Advanced Member
SC1-GTR will become famous soon enough

Porting and polishing will give you a substancial increase, but i don't know if it will get you what XRC claims there Heads do... which i 40-50 more HP to the Wheels

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC1-GTR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC1-GTR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2003, 03:33 PM   #13
Twin_Cam
Twin_Cam is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

I think that's a bit optimistic. Did I say a bit? I meant very. With a high-perf ported/polished/shaved high-compression head, you'll get around 10 horsepower. Maybe 15 if you're lucky (experts, sound about right?)

'00 SL2m- DD, 186K miles
'05 Honda CR-V- wife's DD and my upright bass hauler
'84 Honda CB650SC Nighthawk- toy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Twin_Cam's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Twin_Cam reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2003, 03:42 PM   #14
flamewalker
flamewalker is on a distinguished road

Probably. I can almost guarantee you ain't gonna get no 50 hp tho

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to flamewalker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help flamewalker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2003, 09:54 PM   #15
wolfman

Porting and polishing (done CORRECTLY) improve the flow of air into, and exhaust out of, the engine to build power. Notice I said "done correctly". Beware of published "Horsepower gains" that are not backed up with a dyno test results...you can tie 50 horses to your car and gain "50 Horsepower" but it won't net you anything when you go to drive it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2003, 10:26 PM   #16
saturnmanSC2

still if i gained 15 hp i would be thrilled. If i gained 50. well i would gain 50. I havent asked the dudes yet but so what your all saying is. If i get my head, ported, polished, and (shaved? not exactly sure what this is either). i will get about 10-15 hp. all for around 150$ ish (remember 50% off labor :-)) SWEET

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-14-2003, 10:44 PM   #17
wolfman

What ever you do, DON'T get the head "shaved." Your saturn engine is an extremely close tolerance "interferance" engine. Move the head (valves) closer to pistons and VERY BAD things will happen. If going with a shop unfamiliar with Saturn engines, have the intake and exhaust ports matched to the manifolds and polished, SATIN intake, MIRROR exhaust. This should net some power gains without risking irreversable damage to the head by someone without the expirence to know when to STOP.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2003, 01:21 AM   #18
SC1-GTR
Advanced Member
SC1-GTR will become famous soon enough

and you will get the V8 sound, at least thats what this dude has around here on his coupe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SC1-GTR's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SC1-GTR reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2003, 03:47 PM   #19
saturnmanSC2

oh god v8 sounding saturn i4, ughhhhhhhhh *drool*. The place is a toyota dealership, so i wot ask them to shave it then. I have an extra engine so i figure i can just take the head off that. not sure what ya mean by SATIN intake and MIRROR exhaust though. has anyone here actually donr this? id like to here a testimonial

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2003, 06:23 PM   #20
wingnut
wingnut is on a distinguished road

A valve job alone will net you little to no additional power. A good porting job could net up to 20%.

I know some people have bored the cylinders to 2.0L. I wonder if anybody knows how much power the 2.0 Saturn will put out?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wingnut's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wingnut reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!