SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-22-2011, 03:19 PM   #1
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2
Default how not to siphon gas from your Saturn

http://www.baynews9.com/article/news...40/?hpt=us_bn5

Hope it wasn't anyone we know...

Quote:
Last Updated: Friday, July 22, 2011 S
SEMINOLE --
Officials said a Seminole man was seriously burned in an explosion while siphoning gas from a car with a leaf blower.

Pinellas County Sheriff's Spokesperson Tom Nestor said Joseph P. Williamson, 31, was working on the fuel lines of the 1997 Saturn belonging to his girlfriend, Sommer M. Brocuglio, 34, outside their home on 61st Avenue N when the gas ignited.

Investigators said Williamson found the gas lid open and became concerned the vehicle had been tampered with, and so he was trying to check the gas tank for sugar.

Witnesses said Williamson was trying to siphon gas with an electric leaf blower when a spark from the blower ignited the fire, the report said.

Williamson suffered serious burns to his arms and had to be taken to Tampa General Hospital.

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-22-2011, 03:25 PM   #2
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2
Default Re: how not to siphon gas from your Saturn

That was one hot SL

Collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing"
3 ECTS pigtails, 1 ECTS FS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 03:31 PM   #3
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fetchitfido View Post
That was one hot SL

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:05 PM   #4
Warshark73
Warshark73 is on a distinguished road

1995 SL2

Oh, wow! And I just recently saw the episode of "1000 Ways To Die" where the two guys tried using a shop vac to siphon gas out of other people's cars.

Overkill is underrated

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Warshark73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Warshark73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Warshark73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 04:46 PM   #5
macbox
macbox is on a distinguished road

1995 SC2
1998 SW2

The thing is, there is a check valve in the filler hose that prevents easily siphoning the gas, and if somebody did get a hose into the tank, they probably would not easily get the hose back out. The leaf blower part does not make sense.

#4, 1995 SC2m, 163K, 400 Miles per quart. Garage queen.
#5, 1998 SW2m, rebuilt at 126K, running nicely after 34K miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to macbox's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help macbox reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
macbox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Quote:
Originally Posted by macbox View Post
The thing is, there is a check valve in the filler hose that prevents easily siphoning the gas, and if somebody did get a hose into the tank, they probably would not easily get the hose back out. The leaf blower part does not make sense.
There is a procedure in the FSM on how to get past the anti siphon features to drain the tank. It is not hard but leaf blowers and shop vacs are not recommended.

I though the days of checking the gas with a match died with the Model "T".

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #7
saturnsctwo
Master Member
saturnsctwo is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

some people are just plain morons. they scare me...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to saturnsctwo's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help saturnsctwo reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
saturnsctwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 10:55 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

Yes, gasoline + flame or sparks usually ends badly.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote