SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2011, 02:57 PM   #1
raj49
raj49 is on a distinguished road

Mad Hesitation/poor acceleration

2001 SC2 91k miles. Symtoms occur only after engine reaches normal operating temp. Hesistates during low rpm then runs better.
Replaced ECT with a BWD WT5029 sensor. Old one had a hairline crack on it. No change. Temp gauge goes to half way mark and fan kicks on at about 221 deg. I assume thermostat is working.

KOEO fuel: 50 psi
KOER fuel: 50 psi
I was able to read fuel pres when test driving and fuel remained at 50 psi. Chilton manual says 40 to 55 psi so Im guessing pump is good. Had some trans work done and they replaced the TPS.
I have a good working 99 SL2 to swap wires and coils with to narrow down problem.

Any other suggestons appreciated.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to raj49's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help raj49 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
raj49 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2011, 03:19 PM   #2
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2
Default Re: Hesitation/poor acceleration

since you got the wires and coils, go ahead and swap them.
Does your Cat rattle? Might be plugged.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2011, 03:26 PM   #3
raj49

Cat doesnt seem to rattle. Just waiting for everything to cool down a bit before swapping.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help raj49 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2011, 06:13 PM   #4
raj49

Swapped plugs, wires, coils each one by one and drove.

No dice.

Still havin that hesitation. I guess next step is fuel filter/regulator then pump maybe.

Anyone have any thoughts?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:16 AM   #5
raj49

Any suggestions please?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:26 AM   #6
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

clogged cat would likely cause problems at higher RPM, same with the fuel pump/regulator/filter.

how does the ECTS plug look, any corrosion?

you said the TPS was replaced, but have you tried swapping it with the one from the parts car if it's the same?

try swapping the EGR valve if it's the same.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2011, 08:30 AM   #7
raj49

Tried swapping the TPS but a tab is on opposite side on connector. Gonna try EGR.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2011, 08:40 AM   #8
blue92
blue92 will become famous soon enough

1992 SL1
1998 SC2

Try swapping out the crank position sensor. They are known to show signs of failure when heated up. Its on the backside of the motor , behind the starter. One bolt holding it down. It is a long black plastic tube looking thingy.

92 SL1 original owner
94 SL2 Homecoming
98 SC2 White Hot
02 SC2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blue92's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blue92 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blue92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 01:35 PM   #9
raj49

Swapped CPS, no change, swapped EGR, no change, drove with front O2 sensor off, no change. Injector's measure about 13.1 to 13.5 ohms IIRC.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2011, 04:44 PM   #10
raj49

Could fuel pump or filter/regulator be bad even if pressure is 50 p.s.i during the faulty condition?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2011, 05:04 PM   #11
silvergagt04
silvergagt04 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

How does it hesitate when it is running? Running poor at idle but runs good above idle makes me think vacuum leak.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvergagt04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvergagt04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silvergagt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 05:11 PM   #12
raj49

My first thought was vacuum leak but cant seem to locate any. It dosent accelerate after about 10mph but suddenly would start goin after 5 10 seconds.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-24-2011, 06:03 PM   #13
silvergagt04
silvergagt04 is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2

In park or neutral, can you rev it to fuel cutoff like normal? If its not a vacuum leak then Blue92 may be on to something with the clogged cat idea. Usually a clogged cat will not let the rpms over 3000 or 4000 even with your foot at WOT.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to silvergagt04's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help silvergagt04 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
silvergagt04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 07:17 PM   #14
magtec
Advanced Member
magtec will become famous soon enough

1995 SW2

are you sure it's the engine and not the transmission slipping?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to magtec's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help magtec reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
magtec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2011, 11:46 PM   #15
td1238
Master Member
td1238 will become famous soon enoughtd1238 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2

The '99 TPS will work for the '00+ models, and vice versa. I found this out the hard way because O'Reilly lists the '00 TPS for a '99 DOHC, but the correct TPS for the '99 SOHC. Since there were no others available locally, I chanced it and broke the tab.

I actually like the TPS for an '00 on my '99, even though not originally spec'd for one. The two engines are otherwise pretty much the same, and, from what I gather, they flattened the TPS curve a bit for '00 to improve emissions, because the earlier TPS was over-shooting by having too much change in the low end. I find that acceleration is far peppier, and my MPGs increase by at least 1 with this in place, since fuel prediction is more accurate. ST FTRM numbers stay closer to 0 on acceleration.

Of course if you have a TPS from a '99 car, and you have a '00+, you might notice the opposite effects. Still, it should work well enough for you for now.

If you want to test your old TPS, connect your ohmmeter to the center terminal (unplugged from car), and to each of the side terminals, one at a time. Move TPS through its range of motion and watch meter. Resistance should change smoothly and start and stop in the exact same place. Jumping around and not beginning and ending the same every time indicates a worn control. Replace.

If both of the EGR valves you are using are used, it might be wise to check the position indicating potentiometer (center three terminals). Test this like you test a TPS, and move the pintle in and out. If the computer can't tell where the EGR valve is at, inaccurate opening will result, which will result in a loss of power.

...And, of course, there could be many other causes, such as a slipping transmission, which was suggested earlier. A MAP sensor that is failing and/or not connecting to the plug correctly will cause hesitation/poor acceleration. It also never hurts to really clean the injectors well, in any case.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to td1238's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help td1238 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
td1238 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 08:17 AM   #16
raj49

Definetly not a slipping transmission.

EGR form the 99 was brand new from ebay. Not getting any DTC's. I will check TPS the way u suggested. Again, not getting any DTC's. I'll have to check when hot since thats when its occuring.

I'll take it down to midas to check for clogged cat. I drove with fron O2 off but it still had the hesitation.

Was going to ask this earlier but forgot, where is the MAP on the 2001? On the 99 sl2, its on top right of intake. But i dont see it for the SC2.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2011, 08:59 AM   #17
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

There are many posts about the poorly assembled intake manifold gasket leaking by cylinder #1. Spraying fluid in and around the intake manifold gasket with the engine idling can verify a vacuum leak. It might be worth your time to check for a deformed gasket.

This isn't a map sensor issue.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 09:20 AM   #18
raj49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
There are many posts about the poorly assembled intake manifold gasket leaking by cylinder #1.
What years does this apply to? I found a DIY for one with the aluminum intake but mine has the composite intake. I'll check it anyway.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2011, 09:42 AM   #19
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Search, as I recall, from '99(?) to '01.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 10:54 AM   #20
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

That was gen-3 (2000-2002) SOHC ONLY.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote