SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-25-2011, 01:37 PM   #1
4harpers
4harpers is on a distinguished road

Dazed program key fob

I am sure it is in this forum somewhere, but could someone tell me how to program the key fob for 1999 s series. My fob works but the cover snaps have broken and I can't key the cover halfs together, they are taped now. Can i buy just the cover and replace the inside? If I have to reprogram how do I do it. Thanks for and and all help.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4harpers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4harpers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4harpers is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-25-2011, 01:42 PM   #2
holydiver
holydiver is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: program key fob

Check out Richpin's How-To videos:

http://www.youtube.com/user/richpin06a

He has a lot of videos regarding the S-Series Saturns. Directly, here is one on how to program the remote for the RKE (Remote Keyless Entry) module:

http://www.youtube.com/user/richpin0...12/ac_lSBVXloQ

As far as the remote is concerned, my friend bought me one from a Chevy dealership and we programmed it to my car just fine.

BTW, welcome to the forum!

'96 Saturn SL2 5-Speed, 141k, Rebuilt Engine (My Toy)
'96 Saturn SL2 Automatic, 187k (The Project)
'02 Saturn L200 2.2L Auto, 119k (Dad's Car)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to holydiver's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help holydiver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
holydiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 02:08 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Unless I'm mistaken, factory remotes can be re-synched at home whenever they fail to work but buying replacement remotes will not work until the bcm is programmed using GM's Tech II to allow a replacement remote to work with a Saturn; from the service manual.

Re-synching a remote that worked but may not now simply requires pressing the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together near the car until the door locks cycle to indicate the remote synching to the bcm. Buying a replacement remote and trying the LOCK/UNLOCK synch won't work until GM programs the bcm to accept the new remote. Any other remotes should be presented at this time to be sure all remotes are programmed to the bcm.

What you can do is try a very very light application of instant glue to flow into and around the two clam shell cover joint to allow gluing the covers together. The covers should be cleaned of all grease and dirt build up from years of use to make instant glue work. A single application of instant glue to allow it to flow immediately into the cover halves will bond the covers almost immediately. If done correctly without smearing or squeezing too much, the watery instant glue flows into the joints and begins to set up. Hold or tape for a few minutes and the glue should work permanently. Now, before jumping to conclusions about 'permanent', the very little glue used can also allow breaking the cover apart a few years later to replace the battery.

I repair ac to dc adapters this way when the wiring gets chewed up by the case outlet; I crack the case cover, repair the wiring and instant glue bonds the case covers back permanently. The cases never come apart. Using only a very small amount of instant glue should allow the remote covers to hold for many years before needing to replace the battery again. Then when its necessary, careful prying will break the covers apart.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 03:40 PM   #4
holydiver

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Unless I'm mistaken, factory remotes can be re-synched at home whenever they fail to work but buying replacement remotes will not work until the bcm is programmed using GM's Tech II to allow a replacement remote to work with a Saturn; from the service manual.

Re-synching a remote that worked but may not now simply requires pressing the LOCK and UNLOCK buttons together near the car until the door locks cycle to indicate the remote synching to the bcm. Buying a replacement remote and trying the LOCK/UNLOCK synch won't work until GM programs the bcm to accept the new remote. Any other remotes should be presented at this time to be sure all remotes are programmed to the bcm.
Maybe it's different on a '99 with the alarm? But I remember sc2boy and I jumping pins on the OBDII connector and holding down the buttons on the remote.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help holydiver reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2011, 03:59 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I referred to the service manual for info. If its works then it may be the inside secret but shorting the 12v pin (if used) to something may do more harm than good if the pin-outs aren't correct........

Is this for pre-bcm cars? Body Control Modules were incorporated in 2000 models.

Last edited by fdryer; 06-25-2011 at 04:05 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-25-2011, 04:00 PM   #6
TXSaturn02
Master Member
TXSaturn02 will become famous soon enoughTXSaturn02 will become famous soon enough

2002 SL2

`99 is a second generation car and my understanding is that the programming can be a DIY job. Third generation cars (`00 thru `02) are different. If you buy a new remote, you still have to take it to the dealer to have them program it.

2002 SL2 Manual - new in November, 2001
Sticker: $13,995 As of 07/14/14: 194,301 Miles

2013 Mazda 3 HB - new in October 2012
Sticker: $20,850 As of 07/14/14: 10,364 Miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to TXSaturn02's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help TXSaturn02 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
TXSaturn02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:07 PM   #7
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Yes, '99 can be programmed with the paperclip (I have two '99s and have done it on both). '99 is 3rd gen head, many of the coupes are 3dr, but otherwise are still 2nd gen cars, particularly in the electronics.

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:18 PM   #8
holydiver

1996 SL2
2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
I referred to the service manual for info. If its works then it may be the inside secret but shorting the 12v pin (if used) to something may do more harm than good if the pin-outs aren't correct........

Is this for pre-bcm cars? Body Control Modules were incorporated in 2000 models.
I did this on my '96 SL2. Sorry, I didn't specify...I just realized that! So I don't have a BCM in the SL2, but my dad has one in his L200.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:31 PM   #9
4harpers
4harpers is on a distinguished road

Thanks for all the advice. I guess I will buy one from a Chevy dealer and have them program it. I would hate to insert paperclips and short something out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 4harpers's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 4harpers reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
4harpers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #10
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

I looked again and there is a procedure as the richpin video explains. There must be a past post procedure and if you need the procedure pm me an e-mail address with car info and I'll send the pdf.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-25-2011, 04:47 PM   #11
fetchitfido
fetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to beholdfetchitfido is a splendid one to behold

1996 SC2
1997 SW2

The GM/Chevy dealer has to do the same thing posted above to program it.

Wolfman has a guide in the How-To library on programming the '96-'99 fob's, along with how to setup the security on '97-'99 models the way you want it.

here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59192

My collection of S-Series info: "https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5D8XfJgavxrdE5mcHBlMG5rbUU&usp=sharing" (copy & paste between quotes)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fetchitfido's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fetchitfido reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fetchitfido is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 05:00 PM   #12
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4harpers View Post
Thanks for all the advice. I guess I will buy one from a Chevy dealer and have them program it. I would hate to insert paperclips and short something out.
And you don't have to go to the dealer. Just take the old remote carcass with you to Auto Zone or Advanced Auto to order a remote.

Of course it'll be a few days (and AZ may pressure you into going to the dealer), but is worth it. Junkyard is fine too.

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2011, 07:23 PM   #13
Kaervak
Kaervak is on a distinguished road

1999 SL2

I used the paperclip method on my 99 as well when I added another fob to the system last year. Worked just fine for me. I'm not sure if it's necessary but when I added the new fob I also "reprogrammed" my existing fobs into the system at the same time.

It's only after we've lost everything, that we're free to do anything

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kaervak's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kaervak reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kaervak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 07:46 AM   #14
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

I used ebay to get a remote in decent condition. Search for any one of these:

16245100-29 (GM [art number)

218101368 (Saturn #)

AB01502T (Model/FCC ID)

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2011, 11:17 AM   #15
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

^^^^ +1; also search on ABO1502T, which is a common typo in the eBay ads.

And don't fret about shorting anything; just follow the directions carefully about which pins to connect.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2011, 06:55 PM   #16
alpine67
alpine67 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
1997 SC2

So does this mean that this procedure would work on a 2000 SC2?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alpine67's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alpine67 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alpine67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 07:26 PM   #17
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by alpine67 View Post
So does this mean that this procedure would work on a 2000 SC2?
No.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXSaturn02 View Post
`99 is a second generation car and my understanding is that the programming can be a DIY job. Third generation cars (`00 thru `02) are different. If you buy a new remote, you still have to take it to the dealer to have them program it.
'00-'02 require a dealer or mechanic with the right scan tool (expensive scan tool, not like an affordable code scanner).

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote