SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 02-09-2011, 01:46 PM   #1
Stowellez
Stowellez is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Dizzy Battery Light

Here's the situation: I came back from a 5 month deployment and the battery in my 04 Saturn Ion is completely drained. (I know...it was supposed to have been run several times while I was away)
Tried jumping it from the terminal under the hood and succeeded in blowing a lot of fuses. I replaced the fuses and battery and got the car to turn over. However, the battery light is now on. A garage confirmed what I thought, that the alternator was shot
I replaced the alternator myself with a rebuilt but got the same battery light. I then drove the car to the OReillys I had gotten the alternator from. They tested it and said it too was bad. I've since installed another alternator and still have the battery light on.
I have checked/cleaned all of the electrical connections on battery and alternator. The belt is in decent shape with no apparent slippage.

Any thoughts on what the issue could be? Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Stowellez's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Stowellez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Stowellez is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 02-09-2011, 03:37 PM   #2
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan
Default Re: Battery Light

you might be looking at replacing your car. you might have done a a LOT of damage when you tried to jump it. if you blew fuses, you did it wrong, and hurt your car. there's a lot of things you can damage by jumping it wrong.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:12 PM   #3
Stowellez

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Thanks for the reply. Geez I hope you are wrong but it definitely seems something happened while jumping the car. Just need to know what.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Stowellez reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-09-2011, 09:15 PM   #4
cardude427
cardude427 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

The fact that fuses blew means that most of the vital systems were protected. The battery light may mean the battery is shot. Have your battery load tested and charged.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cardude427's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cardude427 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cardude427 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardude427 View Post
The fact that fuses blew means that most of the vital systems were protected. The battery light may mean the battery is shot. Have your battery load tested and charged.
the battery was replaced before they even posted on here, as stated in post 1. you>reading.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2011, 04:49 PM   #6
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Post doesn't actually say the "replacement" battery has been tested good or bad. I'm curious if all the bad fuses/relays were actually replaced.

Double check the assumptions. Could be something simple. Otherwise, if you search for other "bad jumps" here you might get some ideas of areas you'll want to verify good.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2011, 07:05 PM   #7
Stowellez

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Yes, the new battery has been checked and is good. The fuses have been double checked and are good. I took the battery and alternator to OReillys for a bench test. The battery tested good but the machine they used for the alternator claimed it couldn't support that type of alternator. WTF?!?
I'm entertaining any and all possibilities. Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2011, 08:01 PM   #8
cardude427

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
the battery was replaced before they even posted on here, as stated in post 1. you>reading.
Rule #1 of automotive electrical diagnosis is confirm battery performance no matter if its brand new or the current battery.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help cardude427 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2011, 08:05 PM   #9
cardude427

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stowellez View Post
Yes, the new battery has been checked and is good. The fuses have been double checked and are good. I took the battery and alternator to OReillys for a bench test. The battery tested good but the machine they used for the alternator claimed it couldn't support that type of alternator. WTF?!?
I'm entertaining any and all possibilities. Thanks again!
Could the indicator light just be wrong? battery lights are usually just voltmeters so it could just be wrong and need replacement. If the battery isnt charging then let the car run with as many accessories as you can on and see if the car quits, if it doesnt then you know its not an alt/battery problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-10-2011, 09:18 PM   #10
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Could the indicator light just be wrong? battery lights are usually just voltmeters so it could just be wrong and need replacement. If the battery isnt charging then let the car run with as many accessories as you can on and see if the car quits, if it doesnt then you know its not an alt/battery problem
Or the Auto Parts Store / Shop can perform a Load Test with the charging system in one piece. You could also try checking the Voltage on the Battery with the vehicle running.
Some "Smart" Battery Chargers also have various test features.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 02-10-2011, 09:52 PM   #11
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
they did confirm it good. also, the "light" is just a light, an LED. I'm not sure what the ECU monitors to turn it on, but I have no clue what replacing an LED would accomplish. also, the test you mention is a test, but you have missed the point of it.

here's how to do what you suggest. idling, you need to run EVERYTHING electrical. if your lights start to dim with the bass of the song after a little while, you have a bad alternator, not battery.

the problem with this test is it potentially takes a while to manifest any problems, and the load test your local parts store (napa, advance auto, auto zone) that is performed with the alternator in the car is faster, and far more accurate.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 AM   #12
brapple
brapple is on a distinguished road

back to some simple stuff for the moment.... get a volt meter out and check the voltage. First start with the battery, with should be ~12.5 volts or better at rest. Next you can do a simple load test on the battery, turn all the lights on for a minute. the voltage will drop, after the minute see how long it take for the battery to recover. It should come back to the pre-test voltage relatively quickly.

next test the voltage with the engine running. Should be seeing ~14 volts across the battery. next turn on everything that you can and check the voltage. Its going to drop, but if it drops into the 12 volt range then its possible its the alternator. If when running there is less then the battery voltage you know the alternator isn't charging. Also rev the engine to see if the voltage changes.

other then that you will need to get a shop manual. I'm going to guess that GM has pin point tests in the shop manual like Ford that will get you to the source of the problem.

2004 Ion 3 Sedan

2k Ford SVT Contour
99 Ford Contour - 3L+turbo
99 Ford Contour Se Sport

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brapple's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brapple reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brapple is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2011, 07:29 PM   #13
cardude427

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
they did confirm it good. also, the "light" is just a light, an LED. I'm not sure what the ECU monitors to turn it on, but I have no clue what replacing an LED would accomplish. also, the test you mention is a test, but you have missed the point of it.

here's how to do what you suggest. idling, you need to run EVERYTHING electrical. if your lights start to dim with the bass of the song after a little while, you have a bad alternator, not battery.

the problem with this test is it potentially takes a while to manifest any problems, and the load test your local parts store (napa, advance auto, auto zone) that is performed with the alternator in the car is faster, and far more accurate.
I didnt say replace the led. I meant replace whats telling the led to turn on. Because we've established that the Alternator/battery is good, the car runs but the light is on. One would think that if those are both good and the car runs but the light is on that the light is wrong and therefor whatever tells the light to turn on is not working properly which would be a voltmeter now whether or not the voltmeter is apart of the ecu or a separate sensor is something else altogether but whatever is telling the little light to turn on is clearly wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-11-2011, 09:24 PM   #14
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

actually, once again, if you read the responses, the alternators keep coming back bad.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2011, 08:39 PM   #15
cardude427

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
actually, once again, if you read the responses, the alternators keep coming back bad.
Really because if you read his posts its says he replaced the alternator then got the new one tested and the machine said it wasnt able to support the alternator. So quit the the "i know more then everyone" attitude and try and help the guy.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

I am, I suggested more ways to test it, and more places to go to have it tested in the car for free. I'm not pretending I know everything, you need to read more before responding. I obviously upset you, but this is not my intent. I just don't like having to repeat info.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2011, 09:27 PM   #17
Stowellez

2004 ION-2 Sedan
Thumbs Up Re: Battery Light

Problem resolved! Found a fusible link between the alternator and starter had melted. It melted very close to the starter which is why I never saw it before, and the fact that all of the garages said it was the alternator. Anyway, I'm back on the road, lessons learned. Thanks for your help all!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-27-2011, 10:00 PM   #18
lgodave

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stowellez View Post
Problem resolved! Found a fusible link between the alternator and starter had melted. It melted very close to the starter which is why I never saw it before, and the fact that all of the garages said it was the alternator. Anyway, I'm back on the road, lessons learned. Thanks for your help all!
Glad it was something simple... it just took a while to find. Fuses and Wires can be some of the hardest things to track...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!