SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 11-12-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
fast5thgen
fast5thgen is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 2.2L
Question ECM relearn help please

So I've got an 03 vue awd 2.2l and I have gotten a used ecm for it. The last one was going bad, I was told its memory was bad. Basically after the car has been off for 5 or 6 hrs the ecm loses it memory so that when I start the car the reduced power light comes on and the vue runs rough and dies if I try to drive it. After it has been running for 10 min or so I can turn it off and restart it and its good to drive for the day, no lights, no problems until after work then I go through the procedure to drive it home or where ever.

So the dealer quoted $1400 to replace or reprogram so I said no thanks. I did some searching and saw that the ecm is some what of a common problem so I got one from Auto Network in Fairmont In and swapped'em out but the vue fired, then died, then wouldn't start so I put the old one back in.

A member tipped me off to the relearn process and suggested that I make a thread and here we are. So if anyone can post up the relearn process or link me to it somewhere that would be great!

thanks Jason

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fast5thgen's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fast5thgen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fast5thgen is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 11-13-2010, 12:05 AM   #2
Routs
Routs is on a distinguished road

Default Re: ECM relearn help please

This thread might help:

http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=157155

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Routs's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Routs reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Routs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 10:57 AM   #3
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast5thgen View Post
So I've got an 03 vue awd 2.2l and I have gotten a used ecm for it. The last one was going bad, I was told its memory was bad. Basically after the car has been off for 5 or 6 hrs the ecm loses it memory so that when I start the car the reduced power light comes on and the vue runs rough and dies if I try to drive it. After it has been running for 10 min or so I can turn it off and restart it and its good to drive for the day, no lights, no problems until after work then I go through the procedure to drive it home or where ever.

So the dealer quoted $1400 to replace or reprogram so I said no thanks. I did some searching and saw that the ecm is some what of a common problem so I got one from Auto Network in Fairmont In and swapped'em out but the vue fired, then died, then wouldn't start so I put the old one back in.

A member tipped me off to the relearn process and suggested that I make a thread and here we are. So if anyone can post up the relearn process or link me to it somewhere that would be great!

thanks Jason
Jason ... I'll include 30 minute password relearn extract at end of this post.

Does the security light stay on? This is vehicle outline with padlock symbol, and if NOT lighted - probably indicates the problem is not security related.

The reduced power mode actually sounds like a problem with the TAC (throttle by wire) circuitry, which could also cause the engine to start and run poorly. Major TAC components are accelerator pedal, throttle body and ECM. Repost if you'd like more TAC info.

The BCM is the "heavy-hitter" on the security circuit. If the security light is NOT on - its safe to assume the BCM will send the fuel enable signal to ECM - which will then enable the fuel pump relay as needed.

Basically, if you turn key ON without going to crank position - and don't hear fuel pump prime for 2 or 3 seconds, and there is no security light, it could be ECM, fuel pump relay, fuel pump or associated wiring.

Its possible to enable the fuel pump relay directly if you want to make sure the problem is ECM or wiring.

You might want to try the learn procedure just for the heck of it:

30 Minute Learn Procedure:

1. Turn ON the ignition, with the engine OFF.
2. Attempt to start the engine, then release the key to ON, vehicle will not start.
3. Observe the SECURITY telltale, after approximately 10 minutes the telltale will turn OFF.
4. Turn OFF the ignition, and wait 5 seconds.
5. Repeat steps 1 through 4 two more times for a total of 3 cycles/30 minutes, the vehicle is now ready to relearn the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or passwords on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK.

Important

The vehicle learns the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password on the next ignition switch transition from OFF to CRANK. You must turn the ignition OFF before attempting to start the vehicle.

6. Start the engine. The vehicle has now learned the Passlock™ Sensor Data Code and/or password.
7. With a scan tool, clear any DTCs if needed. History DTCs will self clear after 100 ignition cycles.

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:37 AM   #4
fast5thgen

2003 VUE 2.2L

Good info, thanks.

The security light does stay on with the 'new' ecm which is what leads me to believe that its the passlock.

As far as the TAC I don't fee thats the problem because of how the vue runs after the engine has warmed up and then been restarted (w/ the 'old' ecm). Its usually only the first starting of the day that we have problems with it.

The relay for the pump clicks like normal but from what I read about passlock it disables the injectors which is what I think is happening.

The real frustrating thing is that I'm at work for basically the next 27 hours and I can't tinker with it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fast5thgen reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 11-13-2010, 05:04 PM   #5
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by fast5thgen View Post
Good info, thanks.

The security light does stay on with the 'new' ecm which is what leads me to believe that its the passlock.

As far as the TAC I don't fee thats the problem because of how the vue runs after the engine has warmed up and then been restarted (w/ the 'old' ecm). Its usually only the first starting of the day that we have problems with it.

The relay for the pump clicks like normal but from what I read about passlock it disables the injectors which is what I think is happening.

The real frustrating thing is that I'm at work for basically the next 27 hours and I can't tinker with it.
The service manual is very clear about need for new ECM to learn the old fuel password ... along with a few other items. I've attached a few extracts for your reading pleasure.

Regarding what passlock disables ... all the Saturn document indicate the injectors are disabled and same is true for my 2004 Chevy S10 pickup. However, I determined if Passlock is not satisfied the PCM will not power the fuel pump relay. I installed a jumper instead of a relay and was able to drive truck home for repairs.

But thats not important now ... you're not obtaining consistent fuel and you might be able to resolve by doing the 30 minute relearn.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - Theft Programming.pdf (33.9 KB, 108 views)
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - ECM SPS Prgrmng.pdf (31.0 KB, 189 views)

"Good judgement comes from experience - and a lot of that comes from bad judgement." ... Will Rogers

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 09:08 AM   #6
fast5thgen

2003 VUE 2.2L

Thanks for the help all. Looks like the relearn worked!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!