SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #1
dawn72luv
dawn72luv is on a distinguished road

Mad saturn L200 heater/Ac problems

I am trying to figure out what is wrong with my heater/ ac unit it worked off and on for a while then just stoped. I bought a used blower motor and a control pannel and still nothing not sure what to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dawn72luv's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dawn72luv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
dawn72luv is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2010, 04:29 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: saturn L200 heater/Ac problems

What isn't working? Heater, a/c or both? And which engine?

And welcome to Saturnfans!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2010, 06:08 PM   #3
dawn72luv

none of it is working no AC/ No heat no anything. I am so frustrated dont know what to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help dawn72luv reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #4
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sorry, I should have asked what year so I can pull up some info for you. What you can do is check the easy things like all the fuses under the hood and in the cabin driver's and passenger side behind access panels.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-16-2010, 04:57 PM   #5
dawn72luv

It is a 2001 L200 and I have checked the fuses and changed the blower motor I also changed the control panel thinking that the on off ontrol might have gone bad i am going to change the blower motor resistor next if I can find it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-16-2010, 05:48 PM   #6
vault415
vault415 is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Did you separate the harness behind the radio and check for charred wires? My problem sounds like yours, and I just found that the wires in my harness were arching and burned. They looked fine from the outside, but inside there was a serious problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to vault415's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help vault415 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
vault415 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2010, 05:56 PM   #7
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Looking at the HVAC box with the heater core pipes inlet/outlet near the bottom right of the picture below, circle #8 is the blower motor resistor.

(1) Mode Actuator And Cams
(2) Temperature Cable and Lever
(3) Recirculation Actuator
(4) Heater Core
(5) Evaporator Core Access Panel
(6) Recirculation Doors
(7) Blower Motor
(8) Blower Motor Resistor Card
(9) TXV
(10) Heater Core Pipes

The wiring diagram shows two fuses, one main 20A HVAC SW fuse and the resistor card fuse. The 20A fuse is in the left instrument panel fuse box. This powers the HVAC switch to select the three lower blower speeds. The blower relay is also located there. The resistor card may be difficult to access from the passenger side. The wiring diagram shows the 20A fuse powering the three lower blower speed circuits and the resistor card fuse may be blown, killing only the lower three blower speeds. The high speed blower circuit has its own 40A fuse from the engine fuse box to feed 12v directly to the blower through the blower relay contacts. When blower speed is selected for HI, the switched blower speed power is used to power the blower relay for full 12v to the blower as a separate circuit.

There's also the blower ground to consider as cooked ground wiring would affect all speeds. This would be the center console ground.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg HVAC unit.jpg (169.3 KB, 274 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2010, 09:51 AM   #8
piharley
piharley is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My '02 L200 A/C quit blowing cold air. The compressor is good and the a/c is full. Any ideas? Would I use the schematic you have on this post if I needed one?

btw - bought my '02 brand new and it has 248,000 miles on it!!! It's been an awesome car!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piharley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piharley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2010, 12:38 PM   #9
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Hi piharley, I'm not sure how you know the compressor is good and if the system is full but with 248k miles on this car, you had a great run if the a/c never went out on you until now. Check to be sure the a/c fuse is ok as there are only a few things to check/swap before presuming this problem as typical, a leak. Swap the a/c relay and check the compressor connector for 12v. If 12v isn't on the connector it would mean the system most likely lost refrigerant. If 12v is on the connector then the compressor coil may be blown and the coil resistance would need to be checked. Normal coil resistance would be between 2-5 ohms.

My guess is no power on the connector (with the a/c turned on) and this usually means lost refrigerant has triggered a low pressure switch that disables power going to the compressor coil. When too much R134a leaks out this pressure switch prevents the compressor from operating; too low an amount of refrigerant can result in compressor damage from lack of oil lubrication that depends on refrigerant to move it around. A leak is not unusual with the amount of mileage put on this car.

Dye and oil will leave their mark wherever the leak took place, even from one or both service valves if the caps are loose. Find the source of the leak and then decide what you want to do.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-22-2010, 03:12 PM   #10
piharley
piharley is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks fdyer! The guy I had look at it is a (don't laugh) farm implement heating and air guy. I'm going off what my bf told me - which, usually I take my car in for everything because I'm a control freak when it comes to my baby - "he spun the compressor and said it was good (I had replaced that about a 1 1/2 yrs ago) and he tried to put in refrigerant, but it was full". This is coming from a guy that doesn't really know much about cars (my bf), but I thought this other guy would know a llittle something since he was an a/c guy. Almost forgot, he checked for leaks, but nothing showed up.

I'm not ready to let it go to the graveyard just yet. As my sister says "I haven't got the goody out of it yet"! LOL!

I'll give your suggestions a try tonight and see what happens!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to piharley's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help piharley reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
piharley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 07:27 PM   #11
bcookson
bcookson is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dawn72luv View Post
It is a 2001 L200 and I have checked the fuses and changed the blower motor I also changed the control panel thinking that the on off ontrol might have gone bad i am going to change the blower motor resistor next if I can find it.
im having the same prob i changed the resistor when i turned left it would work right avery once in a while but know it just stoped i took all the part off to check to blower motor i turned the motor on nothang then i touched the blower fan spun then stoped this is driving me crazy n the resistor is a pain to do ...ive done it

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bcookson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bcookson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bcookson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 10:37 AM   #12
alawshe
alawshe is on a distinguished road

I am having problems with my A/C. I had the compressor checked by two different people and they both say it is full of freon, but is blowing hot air. The clutch is not magnatising. I am thinking that it is electrical but I'm no mechanic. What do you think??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alawshe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alawshe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alawshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Well, more information is needed. Either put your car stats in your personal profile with area location or post it every time.

Two different people telling you your a/c system is full are basically 'full of it' if you get my drift. Most DIYers are clueless about car a/c systems and usually reach for the store refill cans.............more clueless than you can imagine.

Not seeing the compressor powering up can mean one of several problems and the most outstanding problem is the dreaded LEAK no one wants to know about. The other problems can be as simple as a blown a/c fuse, a/c relay or disconnected power wire on the compressor. The usual reason for loss of cooling is a leak released refrigerant and a pressure switch detects this loss by disabling the compressor from damage. Liquid refrigerant under pressure circulates oil throughout the system so if refrigerant is lost (a leak) then oil doesn't return to lubricate the compressor. Without a pressure switch to detect this loss the compressor will quickly destroy itself. Find and fix the leak and most likely the a/c system can be restored back to factory condition.

No DIYer knows how to check for refrigerant correctly. Only those with prior training, acquired knowledge, experience, etc., will know. Either take this problem to a pro shop or begin a steep learning curve as another DIYer. There are few here that can tell you what you need to do. My guess is loss of refrigerant and simply measuring for pressure as most would do with a store gauge will not tell you anything.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-23-2012, 11:54 AM   #14
alawshe
alawshe is on a distinguished road

Actullay, they are both mechanics. They both tested the pressure on the compressor and both said that it is fully charged. One said it is electrical because the clutch is not engaging and the other said I need a new compressor (after telling me that the compressor is fine but the clutch is bad) I am leaning towards the eletrical being the problem, but wanted to get an expert opinion. My car is a 2002 satrun L200 4cyl.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alawshe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alawshe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alawshe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 01:38 PM   #15
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Sorry but even "mechanics" don't know sq........................when it comes to a/c troubleshooting. A mechanic has the abilities to use tools and one of them is a multimeter. This multimeter is one of the most valuable tools in an electronics world and guess how our cars are run now? With electronic fuel injection, every sensor is electronic. A/c systems are basically still electrical and well trained a/c mechanics or technicians are able to use a multimeter to measure voltages or resistance. Resistance measuring can be used to test a fuse, bulb or anything that would have electrical resistance - the clutch coil. Power to the clutch would be 12v if these "mechanics" know what to look for. Measuring resistance of clutch coils is another test "mechanics" can do if they know what to look for.

I am neither a mechanic nor an electrician and do not work in the automotive industry. I do know electronics, electricity, mechanics, hydraulics, airconditioning, and a few other things. Just your average DIYer.

As I stated before, these "mechanics" couldn't know pressure because a/c pressures aren't measured when the a/c system isn't running. They're clueless. I would advise you to find a professional repair shop that specializes in a/c repair. There's no guarantee on this world of finding "professional" automotive a/c repairmen but you can try. If we continue, you'll be doing all the work "mechanics" are supposed to be doing and getting paid for it because I can attempt to give you all the information needed to repair your a/c system if you're prepared for the steep learning curve.

I won't continue because it will cost you money...............to buy the tools needed to repair this yourself. Search threads within Saturnfans about a/c repairs. You'll read about the difficulties DIYers find out how hard it is to repair something that isn't answered by a couple of refills. These posts will be very technical as a/c repairs is technical work and not for everyone.

Oh, and these are strictly my personal opinions, not an expert opinion.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-20-2012, 09:57 PM   #16
Solion
Solion will become famous soon enoughSolion will become famous soon enough

L200 wiring to the compressor clutch was not up to snuff in most cases. Unplug the connector and look at the end of it. You may find one or both of the connectors burnt. (discolored brown)

This is a common issue for this. clean the terminals on the compressor (carefully ) and consider how to replace the burnt connector (make sure you get the polarity right) in this case I ended up cutting the wire and crimping onto it some heavier gauge push on connectors. havent has a problem since.

Can anyone tell me where to find an inlet pressure line for a L200? I bought my second L200 at auction and it has a leak in the inlet line. I just need to replace that.,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Solion's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Solion reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Solion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #17
clmn1968
clmn1968 is on a distinguished road

I've replaced the blower control switch, which cooked itself into the mounting. It was a gradual failure of the switch, which would function properly in random settings (I, II, III, IV), energizing both the AC clutch and blower motor simultaneously. With the new switch installed, the AC Clutch is energized properly, and cold air does come out the vents at highway speed. But the blower does not operate. The connector does show signs that it was cooked along with the original switch, so I'm looking for the proper wire gauges at the connector, so I can splice (bypass) the stock connector altogether. All fuses in good shape. Am I missing anything?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to clmn1968's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help clmn1968 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
clmn1968 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 02:52 AM   #18
fdryer

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check blower motor ground wiring.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-01-2013, 01:51 PM   #19
RE2Master
RE2Master is on a distinguished road

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
Sorry but even "mechanics" don't know sq........................when it comes to a/c troubleshooting.

As I stated before, these "mechanics" couldn't know pressure because a/c pressures aren't measured when the a/c system isn't running. They're clueless. I would advise you to find a professional repair shop that specializes in a/c repair.
Oh, and these are strictly my personal opinions, not an expert opinion.
Hey I am a certified mechanic! But what you are saying is correct as you can not test freon levels with a disabled compressor. If it is"full" and blowing hot then it is full of air not freon so no cooling properties which means it has a leak somewhere. Have your mechanic look up the specs for the clutch magneto connectors OHM level and test it for continuity to see if it is just that problem. If it says it needs to read 30 ohms and only reads 25 or so then the clutch magneto is bad. Depressing the fill valve and seeing a white discharge means nothing, air looks like that when released from pressure as well as freon and can be quite cold from the rapid expansion also. Only a true certified HVAC automotive tech can tell you what is really wrong.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RE2Master's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RE2Master reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RE2Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2014, 01:05 PM   #20
Mach1man
Mach1man is on a distinguished road

Just bought a 2002 Saturn l200 Heat works great but when I turn the dial to cool, it still blows heat. AC compressor turns on with AC button but all I get is heat?? Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Mach1man's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Mach1man reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Mach1man is offline   Reply With Quote