SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-20-2010, 07:26 PM   #1
Encke
Encke is on a distinguished road

Dizzy How do I tell what model we have?

I'm about to embark on an attempt to upgrade the stock stereo and speakers with a nicer set from Crutchfield.

They need to know the exact year and model though.

I've been told by different mechanics that it is a 2000 or a 2001. One of them told me that it says it is a 2000 but the date of manufacturer proves it really is a 2001 because they had already switched over production at that time. Is that possible?

Also, no one has ever specified the exact model; they've just called it an L-Series. How do I find out if it is an LS, LS1, LS2, LS100, LS200, etc.? Is there some online thing where I can plug in the VIN?

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Encke's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Encke reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Encke is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2010, 11:06 PM   #2
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe
Default Re: How do I tell what model we have?

The easiest way to accurately determine what model year your car is is to look at the emissions sticker underneath the hood.

Your car should have some decals on the rear end. A 2000 would have "L[S for sedan, W for wagon][1/2]". Any other year would have "L[W if wagon][100/200/300]"

If your car is a 2000 sedan with a V6 it is definitely an LS2. A 2000 wagon with a V6 is an LW2. A sedan with a V6 any other year is an L300 and wagon with V6 is an LW300.

You can type your VIN in here to decode it.

As far as car audio goes, there is virtually no difference between any L-Series of any year - they are all the same. The only thing that is significant is whether or not your car came with the Advanced Audio System or AAS for short. This option added a factory-installed subwoofer that was mounted to the rear deck and an external amplifier for all of the speakers. The installation of aftermarket audio goodies is much easier if your car does not have this option.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

Last edited by ruley73; 08-20-2010 at 11:16 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote