SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2010, 07:39 PM   #1
moresaturn
moresaturn is on a distinguished road

1998 SC1
Default P0140

Recently I had some of my exhaust system replaced, more specifically, the flex pipe and a new muffler. When I got the car back from the muffler man, he informed me that my Cat needs to be replaced. Not that I didn't figure it would after 198K on the original Cat.

So after taking the car home it ran fine and everything seemed to be great. I made a trip down to see a friend and then I got hit with P0140 I believe. A quick search on Google yielded 02 Sensor Circuit No Activity Detected (Bank 1 Sensor 2).

I have a ScanGauge II in my car which aided in finding the code. Also on my ScanGauge I have programed the O2 sensor values. They are not something I usually display, but in previous times looking at them in comparison they are not similar. Usually the upstream or 1-wire sensor would read somewhere in the 70's. Usually the downstream or 4-wire after the cat sensor would be 15-20. Now the two sensors read similar to each other with the downstream sensor occasionally reading a higher value.

Here is my hypothesis. I am thinking that because of a leak that I can hear at idle and throughout the RPM range when each exhaust valve closes, there is a slight vacuum. From this vacuum I postulate that outside ambient air is being sucked into the cat, leading to a false high O2 sensor reading.

Since I do not live in a emissions testing state, it really does not matter to me if emissions related my car would pass or not, especially due to the amount of oil I burn. I should also mention that last year when I finally fixed my Saturn and started caring for it, at the end of replacing a bunch of parts and no more engine codes, I got a code that said low input or something similar on the downstream sensor.

My question is this: Should replacing the Cat take care of this code, or am I going to get sucked into replacing the sensor at $80?

Thanks in advanced all.

1994 SL2 - 24 Hours of Lemons Racecar
1998 SC1 - 305K miles - dead
2001 SC1 - 349K miles and counting - 1 quart per 1K miles - stock engine
Just another OEM engineer...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to moresaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help moresaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
moresaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2010, 08:33 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2
Default Re: P0140

First thing is to find and fix the leak. Then the code will probably reset. Until the leak is fixed there is no point in trying to determine what the code is trying to tell you if it does not reset. O2 sensors do not last forever and if that is the original sensor it may be dead and removing it is a challenge.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote