SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-27-2010, 10:13 PM   #1
shanetill254
shanetill254 is on a distinguished road

Default 2001 saturn sl1 sohc 4 cyl starts then dies

I have a 2001 saturn sl1 with the sohc 4 cyl . Just bought the car from a lady that could not ge it running. The car turns over, starts the dies. I have good fuel pressure. I have replaced the crankshaft position sensor, I have been told something about a 30 min relearn but I dont know how to . any ideas would be great

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to shanetill254's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help shanetill254 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
shanetill254 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-27-2010, 10:39 PM   #2
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Default Re: 2001 saturn sl1 sohc 4 cyl starts then dies

Welcome to the Board.

Do a search of the board for

30 minute pass lock relearn

or a combination of.

The bottom of the thread should have some links that will help your search as well.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 12:53 PM   #3
shanetill254

the car does not have passlock any other sugestions

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help shanetill254 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-29-2010, 03:52 PM   #4
alordofchaos
Master Member
alordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nicealordofchaos is just really nice

1998 SL2
1997 SC2

Put the gas pedal all the way to the floor, then turn the key and try to start. If it starts, replace the ECTS (and connector, if corroded).

I take it you have good spark?

...Wait, what, I actually won that eBay auction? Guess I now (12/2008) own a 1998 SL2, silver, 5 spd :p 102k @ purchase, now 169k
And now (7/2010), a Craigslist 1997 SC2, white, 5 spd

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to alordofchaos's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help alordofchaos reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
alordofchaos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #5
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanetill254 View Post
Yes it does, 2000-2002 models have it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 07:30 PM   #6
ssicarman
ssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to allssicarman is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanetill254 View Post
As bluesl2 said you do have passlock. It is not a key encode passlock system. It is in the ignition cylinder and housing.

A lousy day in paradise is still a day in paradise.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ssicarman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ssicarman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ssicarman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 09:09 AM   #7
shanetill254

Well I tried to do the relearn but I could never get the security light to flash or better yet I could not find it any ideas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-02-2010, 05:22 PM   #8
bluesl2
bluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the roughbluesl2 is a jewel in the rough

When you first turn the key to run do you hear the fuel pump run for a couple seconds? Check the fuse if not.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bluesl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bluesl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bluesl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:34 AM   #9
shanetill254

ok so this is what I got

I used he code scanner and it said the tps sensor was bad
so I changed it I can now start the car if I keep the throttle around half way and it will stay running al long as I dont let the rpms drop below around 1800 but If I keep pushing the gas it stays running and running good it sound like

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-11-2010, 08:18 PM   #10
harley2003
harley2003 is on a distinguished road

2002 SL1

First of all this is a 2001 SL1, bad intake manifold gasket, this is the first place to look for a known problem and it causes all kinds of codes and runs terrible. Check this and replace it ,if it's not bad it will be.

2013 Hyundai Sonata new
2003 Harley Davidson FXDWG wide glide.
2002 SL1 auto light blue has 207000 Km replaced engine.
2002 SL Manual Silver 254000KM replaced engine back on the road.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to harley2003's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help harley2003 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
harley2003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

It may need to relearn its idle servo position after replacing the tps.

On most older cars EGR stuck open is the normal cause of "it starts then dies".

You could always pull the egr and start it and see if it helps..........If it starts and stays running Bingo.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 01:06 AM   #12
shanetill254

ok here we after some trial and error we got it started
it is hard to start but starts and runs decent and now will stay idling.
it is very sluggish one thing I should have pointed out was that the car was setting up for 8 months without being started because the previous owner did not know how to fix it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-17-2010, 07:34 AM   #13
1996SL11.9L
1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about1996SL11.9L has a spectacular aura about

1996 SL1

Put some dry gas in also.

Can you drive it, or no tags?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1996SL11.9L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1996SL11.9L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1996SL11.9L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:08 AM   #14
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Use the Forum Jump below to find the How-to library about the infamous engine coolant temperature sensor (ECTS). Yours may have the original plastic one and needs to be replaced with the brass one. Hard starting and flooding are only two of many issues with faulty ects'.

Having the car sit for so many months creates new problems. Cars don't like sitting still and like being used otherwise things occur that don't when used once a week, even if just starting and idling for a half hour.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 08:45 AM   #15
yav444
yav444 is on a distinguished road

This "30 minute pass lock relearn" procedure worked for me. The battery was replaced in my 2002 SL1, the car would turn over, but would not start. My security light was flashing. Following the 30 minute relearn procedure fixed the problem.

note...the original problem was caused by the chattering door lock issue
(documented in another posting on this site). This problem was draining the battery and was temporarily fixed by removing the driver side power lock switch (a 2 minute job). The white plastic actuator in the switch had broken.

procedure is as follows.

1. Start with the key in the OFF position.
2. briefly turn it to the CRANK positon (very briefly try to start the car)
3. The car will try to start (it will turn over, but will not start)
4. Leave the key in the RUN position as if the car started
5. The security light will be flashing.
6. Wait 10 minutes (almost exactly) until the SECURITY light goes out (wait on the light not the time)
7. When the light goes out turn the key to the OFF position (keep the key in the ignition) for 5 seconds
8. Repeat steps 1-7 two more times for a total of 3 cycles (30 minutes).
9. After the 3rd cycle, starting with the key in the OFF position (per step 7), start the car.
NOTE: On this next start cycle the car will actually learn the passcode from the BCM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssicarman View Post
Welcome to the Board.

Do a search of the board for

30 minute pass lock relearn

or a combination of.

The bottom of the thread should have some links that will help your search as well.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to yav444's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help yav444 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
yav444 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2011, 10:42 PM   #16
Wolfen76
Wolfen76 is on a distinguished road

::
Quote:
Originally Posted by yav444 View Post
This "30 minute pass lock relearn" procedure worked for me. The battery was replaced in my 2002 SL1, the car would turn over, but would not start. My security light was flashing. Following the 30 minute relearn procedure fixed the problem.

note...the original problem was caused by the chattering door lock issue
(documented in another posting on this site). This problem was draining the battery and was temporarily fixed by removing the driver side power lock switch (a 2 minute job). The white plastic actuator in the switch had broken.

procedure is as follows.

1. Start with the key in the OFF position.
2. briefly turn it to the CRANK positon (very briefly try to start the car)
3. The car will try to start (it will turn over, but will not start)
4. Leave the key in the RUN position as if the car started
5. The security light will be flashing.
6. Wait 10 minutes (almost exactly) until the SECURITY light goes out (wait on the light not the time)
7. When the light goes out turn the key to the OFF position (keep the key in the ignition) for 5 seconds
8. Repeat steps 1-7 two more times for a total of 3 cycles (30 minutes).
9. After the 3rd cycle, starting with the key in the OFF position (per step 7), start the car.
NOTE: On this next start cycle the car will actually learn the passcode from the BCM

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wolfen76's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wolfen76 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wolfen76 is offline   Reply With Quote