SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-23-2010, 11:04 AM   #1
johnk
johnk is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-3 Sedan
Default Replace serpentine belt

I replaced my serpentine belt yesterday evening. What a pain. The worst part was the clearance to get a breaker bar in on the belt tension mechanism to get the belt off and on. I couldn't get one one at all. I ended up using a pry bar from under neath the car and wedging it between the tension mechanism and the garage floor to get the old belt off and the new one one. Got to love all those plastic plugs to hold the wheel well cover on as well. Just when you think you got the last one, there is another hiding

The good news is that after 96K, I could have probably left the original on. Very little wear, but it was time.

I also cleaned the MAF when i cleaned my K&N airfilter. It looked clean to the eye, however I did notice a difference this morning. The car did not do its usual rev to 1300 and back to 800 as it warmed up.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to johnk's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help johnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
johnk is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 05-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #2
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2
Default Re: Replace serpentine belt

could you not use a serpentine belt removal tool like this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/serpent...112&zmap=66344

most cars nowadays don't have room for pry bars anymore. This tool works just great, and most autoparts stores have it on the free loan program.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:59 PM   #3
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

you could buy a special tool, but most use a breaker bar.

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 06:11 AM   #4
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

Trust me the ION is no where near the worst serpentine belt to change.

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 07:14 AM   #5
johnk

2005 ION-3 Sedan

[QUOTE=plato;1623908]could you not use a serpentine belt removal tool like this one?

http://www.harborfreight.com/serpent...112&zmap=66344

I did think about Harbor Freight, but that was after I had the wheel off and the shield disassembled and I didn't start until 8:30 thinking it would be a 10 minute job..... Looks like I may need to make a stop on the way home and pick one up for next time. My neighbor had a breaker bar, but the design was too thick for the application. The head was on a universal which made it too wide.

Just goes to show you that if you do your homework up front on a repair, you are less likely to get caught cursing the automotive gods for lack of clearance, tools and brains on your part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help johnk reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2010, 10:26 AM   #6
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maritime Storm View Post
Trust me the ION is no where near the worst serpentine belt to change.
no kidding, try replacing the belt (or chain) on this baby:

2007 Saturn Ion 2

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 05-24-2010, 02:13 PM   #7
johnk

2005 ION-3 Sedan

On the bright side, you wouldn't have to pull the right front tire

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 05-27-2010, 04:43 AM   #8
Maritime Storm
Advanced Member
Maritime Storm has a spectacular aura aboutMaritime Storm has a spectacular aura about

2003 ION-2 Sedan

HMMM Industrial Turbo Diesel

Save the Earth, Ban Slushboxes!!!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Maritime Storm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Maritime Storm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Maritime Storm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:20 AM   #9
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
no kidding, try replacing the belt (or chain) on this baby:

"DROOL"!! Where can I get one!!!!???? lol!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:22 AM   #10
chilipepper1327
Advanced Member
chilipepper1327 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-3 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnk View Post
I replaced my serpentine belt yesterday evening. What a pain. The worst part was the clearance to get a breaker bar in on the belt tension mechanism to get the belt off and on. I couldn't get one one at all. I ended up using a pry bar from under neath the car and wedging it between the tension mechanism and the garage floor to get the old belt off and the new one one. Got to love all those plastic plugs to hold the wheel well cover on as well. Just when you think you got the last one, there is another hiding

The good news is that after 96K, I could have probably left the original on. Very little wear, but it was time.

I also cleaned the MAF when i cleaned my K&N airfilter. It looked clean to the eye, however I did notice a difference this morning. The car did not do its usual rev to 1300 and back to 800 as it warmed up.
The serpentine belts are good for about 240K on the Ions. I don't remember the exact milage but that is close. Read my manual a couple of nights ago and I was surprised at the service interval for the belt.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to chilipepper1327's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help chilipepper1327 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
chilipepper1327 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 09:53 AM   #11
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by chilipepper1327 View Post
The serpentine belts are good for about 240K on the Ions. I don't remember the exact milage but that is close. Read my manual a couple of nights ago and I was surprised at the service interval for the belt.
So if 240K is accurate and you actually meant 240K km then that would be about 150K Miles... So that doesn't seem too crazy (I'd have gone with 100K miles but...)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 10:57 AM   #12
johnk

2005 ION-3 Sedan

Old habits are hard to break. I've always changed them at 100K and with my son starting to drive the Ion, it was cheap maintenance.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:49 PM   #13
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

fyi, our cars do not require the serpentine belt to function, so checking it at recommended intervals is fine.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-08-2010, 03:57 PM   #14
Tubagod767
Tubagod767 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-2 Sedan

Definitely check at the 100k intervals. Mine snapped in half on the expressway around 115,000 miles.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tubagod767's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tubagod767 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tubagod767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:02 PM   #15
lgodave
lgodave will become famous soon enough

2003 ION-3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006 ion2 View Post
fyi, our cars do not require the serpentine belt to function, so checking it at recommended intervals is fine.
So besides the loss of Alternator and AC... you mean we should be OK as long as we have battery power and not driving in the desert someplace were AC is extremely welcome... The Electric Fan (not driven by the Serpentine Belt) should keep the system cool... as long as the vehicle is running or has battery power.

Might suggest keeping a "Jumper Pack" (Booster Pack or Spare Battery) handy for instances were you might need to provide a little extra voltage to an Alternator deprived vehicle.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to lgodave's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help lgodave reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
lgodave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2010, 07:34 PM   #16
2006 ion2
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Sedan

yes, the water pump and fan are not driven by the belt. so you should get an electrical system light before you NEED to pull over from lack of electrical power.

2007 Saturn Ion 2

REWARD EXCELLENCE!