SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Astra > Astra General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-22-2010, 01:13 PM   #1
Sirraven
Sirraven is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR
Default Check Engine Light

Well was coming home from the Detroit Auto Show and my Check Engine light came on. Onstar said it had to do something with the engine control module I believe. Dont fully remember, was more worried if I could drive it or not, but I have an appointment to take it in here at 3 at the Saturn of Warren. I will keep you guys posted on what comes out of it.

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sirraven's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sirraven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Sirraven is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2010, 03:17 PM   #2
hzl6cm
hzl6cm is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Check Engine Light

If it isn't blinking I wouldn't worry about driving it if it seems to be running okay. A solid light indicates a problem with one of the pollution control devices. A blinking light indicates a miss-fire and I would be more worried about that, especially if the engine ended up sounding rough. If you are off of warranty, some of the auto parts stores have scanners you can borrow. Just write down the code, reset the light and go to the Internet and look up the code. Many times on the various cars we have had I've run in to check engine lights for the evaporative emission systems - I just rest the code, check the gas cap for tightness and it didn't come back. On my daughter's car I was getting a code for an evaporative emission system purge solenoid that wouldn't go away, but I fixed it but taking apart the electrical connectors and cleaning them with contact cleaner, that was two months ago and it the code hasn't come back. If your car isn't under warranty, I would at least try to clear the code with a scanner before I paid somebody to look at it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to hzl6cm's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help hzl6cm reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
hzl6cm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:35 PM   #3
BNM449
BNM449 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XE
2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

My check-engine-light turned out to be a loose coolant-tank cap; take a look under the hood and check for anything obvious. When I tightened the cap the light went out next drive, has been out since.
I didn't need to have it reset.

Could be a loose oil-filler cap, the dipstick might be out a little, could be an air hose fitting that's worked just a bit loose, anything like that.

And the gas tank cap as pointed out, that's a common cause.

~N~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BNM449's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BNM449 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BNM449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 03:41 PM   #4
Sirraven

2008 Astra XR

Well I already had the Fuel Neck/cap replaced. Thats why I first had Onstar let me know what it was so if it was a stupid emissions thing I wouldnt worry about it.

Well after only about 30 min in the shop they came out and said they have a new camshaft position sensor on order. Should be in late next week, but seeing how I will be gone Fri/Sat/Sun it wont get fixed for over a week. He said I am good to drive it until the new one comes in.

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Sirraven reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:56 PM   #5
szylak66
szylak66 is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

My engine light came on last week, turned out the intake manifold had went, took a week to get the part here and they are replacing it on Monday

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to szylak66's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help szylak66 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
szylak66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2010, 12:21 AM   #6
fueled
fueled is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirraven View Post
Well I already had the Fuel Neck/cap replaced. Thats why I first had Onstar let me know what it was so if it was a stupid emissions thing I wouldnt worry about it.

Well after only about 30 min in the shop they came out and said they have a new camshaft position sensor on order. Should be in late next week, but seeing how I will be gone Fri/Sat/Sun it wont get fixed for over a week. He said I am good to drive it until the new one comes in.
WOW thats a good dealer. I had the almost same situation with my engine light. I should tell you my story. My light went on so I brought it to my dealer. Took them 4 hours to 'reprogram' something. It took 3 days and then the light came back again. I took it back last week and it took them another 5 hours to replace the camshaft actuator valve solenoid. I think since its a warranty covered issue the people at my dealership decided to take their sweet time. It's been 3 days and the light hasn't come back... lets hope it doesn't.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fueled's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fueled reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fueled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Larry_va
Larry_va is on a distinguished road

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by fueled View Post
WOW thats a good dealer. I had the almost same situation with my engine light. I should tell you my story. My light went on so I brought it to my dealer. Took them 4 hours to 'reprogram' something. It took 3 days and then the light came back again. I took it back last week and it took them another 5 hours to replace the camshaft actuator valve solenoid. I think since its a warranty covered issue the people at my dealership decided to take their sweet time. It's been 3 days and the light hasn't come back... lets hope it doesn't.
I've had that and the Camshaft Poss Sensor replaced 3 times on my Astra. I just had to have something with the emisions exhaust actuator replced. I would expect the Camshaft problem a few more times. My Astra now has 50,000 Miles on it and I'm just waiting for it to go again. I thought it was it on the last repair but it wasn't. Good luck

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Larry_va's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Larry_va reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Larry_va is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2010, 03:49 PM   #8
01SuperCoupe
01SuperCoupe is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
2009 Astra XR

I wouldn't recommend that anyone ignore an SES light, flashing, or not. If the light is on, something is wrong, at least get it looked at to find out what it is.
From my personal experience the SES light being on, but the car is running OK means that the ECM is compensating for whatever the problem is. This usually results in higher emissions and reduced fuel economy. Continued driving with the SES light on will likely cause more damage as well as higher repair bills down the road. This is in addition to the fact that a lit SES light is almost a guaranteed FAILED emissions test.

When in stressful situations look to man's best friend for the best advice: "If you can't eat it and you can't play with it, just pee on it and walk away."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 01SuperCoupe's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 01SuperCoupe reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
01SuperCoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:33 AM   #9
Sirraven

2008 Astra XR

Well the check engine light went out this morning for the second time before I was actually able to get the part replaced. First time was Thursday, but went back one within a min or two of driving. My appointment is today at 1, so still going to get the part replaced, but just kinda weird.

08 Saturn Astra
5dr XR Twilight Blue
-Manual Transmission
-Advanced Audio Pkg
-Sport Handling Pkg
-Dual Panel Sunroof

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2010, 08:40 AM   #10
JSYong
JSYong is on a distinguished road

Another thing to check into, not sure what the weather has been like down there, but none of the astra's hve the extrem cold weather start program, might be something to look into.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to JSYong's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help JSYong reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
JSYong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:19 AM   #11
Dick Trimmons
Dick Trimmons is on a distinguished road

hey folks,

Well for me this will be the 3rd time in the time I have had the astra, so once a year I have had this light come on for me and every time it appears they are replacing what they call sensors.

first year not sure what it was did not really pay attention, last year I got suspicious and looked at what they replaced.

exaust cmp slenoid valve was replaced on waranty

this year no longer have waranty and hold and betold they did some work too:
exhaust camshaft actuator and filters.

I am trying to figure what the difference is between the two, unfrotunately I am not a mechanic and to me they sound the same.

At this time I am about to go back to the shop who charged me for the work thinking it is the same thing they did last year on waranty.

if anyoen can advise it would greatly be appreciated.

Needless to say I am not sure I want to keep it after the lease is over.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dick Trimmons's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dick Trimmons reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dick Trimmons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 12:25 PM   #12
Astra La Vista!
Astra La Vista! will become famous soon enoughAstra La Vista! will become famous soon enough

2008 Astra XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dick Trimmons View Post
hey folks,

Well for me this will be the 3rd time in the time I have had the astra, so once a year I have had this light come on for me and every time it appears they are replacing what they call sensors.

first year not sure what it was did not really pay attention, last year I got suspicious and looked at what they replaced.

exaust cmp slenoid valve was replaced on waranty

this year no longer have waranty and hold and betold they did some work too:
exhaust camshaft actuator and filters.

I am trying to figure what the difference is between the two, unfrotunately I am not a mechanic and to me they sound the same.

At this time I am about to go back to the shop who charged me for the work thinking it is the same thing they did last year on waranty.

if anyoen can advise it would greatly be appreciated.

Needless to say I am not sure I want to keep it after the lease is over.
If those are the exact words from your invoice, I'd say that they are two different components. I base this on the fact that GM technicians have to use the correct name for such components for the basic reason that they need to be as clear and concise as possible when dealing with the warranty office that approves such repairs, as well as those in the control tower that record part numbers and labour codes on your work order. Everything is well documented on your invoice and in their own computerized repair history records for your car, often including any actual steps that the technician took to arrive at a conclusion when something is faulty. This level of detail is often included so that some written record exists should the technician's work ever be brought into question during a repeat visit to the dealership. If in doubt, see if the part numbers on your invoices match up.

I haven't "pulled wrenches" in ages, but modern vehicles have dozens of sensors, solenoids, actuators, etc., and the Check Engine Light is tied into most of them when one of them fails. It is human nature for the uninitiated to think that when the light comes on a second or third time, that it is somehow related to the first repair, and that perhaps the repair wasn't done properly (or wasn't necessary, period). For the honest technician or service writer, this can be equally frustrating from the other side of the counter. Vehicles are getting more "complicated" every year for a multitude of reasons (beyond the control of anyone at the dealership level), and this isn't going to change unless we bomb ourselves back to the stone age and have to revert to horse & buggy.

My only advice to the uninitiated is to at least try to begin to understand how modern engines work, because the only other alternative is to find a technician that you trust and stick with them no matter how inconvenient it can be sometimes. The same is true when your computer or furnace acts up, and you have to trust that a complete stranger isn't trying to screw you over because you don't know any better.

"That's a Hruck Bugbear, manufactured in Eastern Europe in the eighties and imported to the States. People mock it as a poor man's Yugo. I consider it the pinnacle of Cold War Balkan engineering."

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Astra La Vista!'s Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Astra La Vista! reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Astra La Vista! is offline   Reply With Quote