SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-17-2010, 07:16 PM   #1
bob50
bob50 is on a distinguished road

1997 SC1
2000 SL2
Default 2000 SL2 fast idle.

Everyday My SL2 will idle fast about 1,500 in park,
I shut it off and restart it the idle goes back to normal. Then a few minutes later go high again.
I've changed the idle valve, cleaned the throttle body and replaced the coolant temp sensor
Could it be the throttle position sensor? I was told they hardly ever go bad.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bob50's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bob50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bob50 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-17-2010, 07:24 PM   #2
akasnacker
akasnacker is on a distinguished road

2001 SC2
Default Re: 2000 SL2 fast idle.

I have the same exact problem for my 2001 SC2 HELP US!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to akasnacker's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help akasnacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
akasnacker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 08:13 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

With Charlie moving us around it can be confusing as to where to post; you're both posting in the L-series forum where you should be in the S-series forum.

If the high idling stops when restarting its been the consesus here as a worn out throttle position sensor (TPS). TPS' do wear out despite opinions contradicting this. The past posts say so. Not what someone says.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 09:03 PM   #4
akasnacker

2001 SC2
Happy Re: 2000 SL2 fast idle.

[If the high idling stops when restarting its been the consesus here as a worn out throttle position sensor (TPS). TPS' do wear out despite opinions contradicting this. The past posts say so. Not what someone says.[/QUOTE]

Thanks I will try that fix the throttle position sensor replacment, as to this post I can't post anywhere else I want to post my sales AD for the 1999 Saturn SC2 I'm selling but I can't? How or when can we post to the classifieds of the S series department? Thanks for your reply to the fix, bless you fdryer!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help akasnacker reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-17-2010, 09:22 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

No thanks necessary. Charlie the Administrator is migrating our site to a new server and I've noticed some small glitches maneuvering around. This is temporary and just another small inconvenience to everyone but this too will pass. Let a few days go by and try posting again or just keep trying every day.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2010, 05:46 PM   #6
bob50

1997 SC1
2000 SL2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdryer View Post
With Charlie moving us around it can be confusing as to where to post; you're both posting in the L-series forum where you should be in the S-series forum.

If the high idling stops when restarting its been the consesus here as a worn out throttle position sensor (TPS). TPS' do wear out despite opinions contradicting this. The past posts say so. Not what someone says.
Yes, thanks for the info, plan to replace it this weekend .

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help bob50 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-22-2010, 08:03 PM   #7
akasnacker

2001 SC2
Wrench Re: 2000 SL2 fast idle.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob50 View Post
Everyday My SL2 will idle fast about 1,500 in park,
I shut it off and restart it the idle goes back to normal. Then a few minutes later go high again.
I've changed the idle valve, cleaned the throttle body and replaced the coolant temp sensor
Could it be the throttle position sensor? I was told they hardly ever go bad.
Yes its got to be the TPS, refer to fdryer's post:If the high idling stops when restarting its been the consesus here as a worn out throttle position sensor (TPS). TPS' do wear out despite opinions contradicting this. The past posts say so. Not what someone says.
Im going to start with the cheaper of the two coolant sensor then if thats the fix I'm done if not then I will buy a TPS looks like you have already done the cheaper fix & it didnt work hope I have better luck?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2010, 10:47 AM   #8
bob50

1997 SC1
2000 SL2

yes, replaced the tps and the fast idle is gone,thanks everyone

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-06-2010, 11:30 AM   #9
BoDuke70
BoDuke70 is on a distinguished road

2004 ION-3 Quad Coupe
1997 SC2

Don't sweat it, bob50. Trust me, with no real clear badging the model designations can get muddy real quick. LS1, L100, L300.2...

A different kind of parts guy...now in a bow tie!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to BoDuke70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help BoDuke70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
BoDuke70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:37 PM   #10
mammoth77
mammoth77 is on a distinguished road

2000 SL2

Just wanted to post a "thanks" in this thread. I recently purchased a 2000 SL2 and it was having intermittent high idle episodes that would go away with a cycle of the ignition. TPS has been replaced and so far, so good...

Now to get the emissions diagnostic monitors to complete given the cold weather.

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to mammoth77's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help mammoth77 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
mammoth77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2012, 01:27 AM   #11
akasnacker

2001 SC2
Thumbs Up Re: 2000 SL2 fast idle.

Yes, I had to replace the TPS sensor back then in "2010" & now the cars been running fine for 2 years now! Thanks to fdryer

REWARD EXCELLENCE!