SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-09-2009, 09:38 PM   #1
pdxsl2
pdxsl2 is on a distinguished road

Default 2000 SL2: P0410, No power to air pump

Hello to the Group, Thanks for all the help you folks put out there. I own a 2000 SL2 w/86xxx miles. I had the SES light come on so I went and got a cheap code reader. P0410 and O2 sensor "slow" came up. Replaced the #1 02 sensor and that code went away but the P4010 was still there after a drive, so I started trouble shooting the Air Pump. Cleaned out the tube, check-valve and exhaust manifold, checked all the lines and connections and they were clear and tight.

Checked the circuit from to the pump and no power on start-up. Watched the "how-to" inspection video on Youtube, replaced the ECTS, checked the fuse (OK), replaced the relay, checked/cleaned the "IGN 1/4" fuse (OK), checked the wiring to the pump by removing the top half of the UHJB and sending current to the pump through the relay clips (fan works with direct power). Put everything back together cleared the code and started the engine, still no power to the pump.

As far as I can deduce the PCM is not telling the pump to operate. Does this seem like the problem? Is there another relay or sensor that is involved in making the pump operate? If the Idle Air Control Valve is bad would that prevent the pump from operating? If the PCM is the problem is there a way for a mechanic to put it on a scanner and perform a reprogram or reset so it will operate the pump?

I haven't done a full drive cycle because I don't want to carbon up the O2 sensor. Just want to get that pump working. Thanks for the help in advance

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to pdxsl2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help pdxsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
pdxsl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 12-09-2009, 09:45 PM   #2
adventureoflink
Master Member
adventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura aboutadventureoflink has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL2
Default Re: 2000 SL2: P0410, No power to air pump

This may give you some ideas:

http://www.obd-codes.com/p0410

note that there was a G.M. TSB for this code...

97 SL2
DOB: 3/19/97
Date Obtained: 5/30/07

2004 Merc G.Marquis GS
DOB: 2/4/04
Date Obtained: 7/6/12

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to adventureoflink's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help adventureoflink reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
adventureoflink is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 11:57 PM   #3
pdxsl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by adventureoflink View Post
This may give you some ideas:

obd-codes.com/p0410

note that there was a G.M. TSB for this code...
Thanks for the suggestion.

Checked all those areas, no water etc. and the TSB doesn't apply to Saturns, unless I missed something on the .pdf. Does anyone know where I may find a wiring diagram or flow chart showing what sensors are involved with operating the Air Pump? Everything WILL work if power is sent to the pump, there is just no power being sent.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help pdxsl2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 12-10-2009, 11:02 AM   #4
richpin06
richpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the roughrichpin06 is a jewel in the rough

1998 SL2

Have you checked the 30A fuse labeled air pump.Also have you checked that the command signal for the relay from the PCM is working.Remember that signal wire from the PCM is ground so test accordingly.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 2001 Air Pump.pdf (53.7 KB, 214 views)

http://www.youtube.com/richpin06a

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to richpin06's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help richpin06 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
richpin06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 12:37 PM   #5
pdxsl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpin06 View Post
Have you checked the 30A fuse labeled air pump.Also have you checked that the command signal for the relay from the PCM is working.Remember that signal wire from the PCM is ground so test accordingly.
I have checked the "Air Pump" fuse. How would I check the command signal from the the PCM? Do you have a video posted showing this procedure? Thanks for the help I think that the problem is between the relay and the PCM.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-10-2009, 02:05 PM   #6
pdxsl2

So a quick update. I went with richpin's suggestion and figured out a way to test the Air Pump Relay (used speaker wire to create pigtails that were accessible when the relay was plugged into the UHJB). Sure enough when the PCM is sending power there is no Ground to the Pump. I provided a ground at the Relay and got the Pump to operate (woo! who!). I removed the O2 sensor and when the Pump is on there is no flow out of the O2 hole. I'm now going to try to clean out the Ex. Manifold enough to get air down to the O2 sensorr. This should solve the air flow problem.

Thanks again for all the help and the diagram richpin! I didn't see the diagram on my first reply. I was on my Ipod and the mobile site didn't show the attachment. I'll check the ground indicated on the wiring diagram richpin attached and see if that fixes the problem. Feels like I'm getting close to a solution!!

Last edited by pdxsl2; 12-10-2009 at 02:12 PM.. Reason: typos and need to change information

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 12-11-2009, 12:14 AM   #7
pdxsl2

Quote:
Originally Posted by richpin06 View Post
So I think I have reached a conclusion but I don't understand why this worked. I wound up removing and cleaning the EGR valve, removed the tube from the Air Shut-off & Check Valve to the Ex. Manifold, removed the O2 sensor, flushed everything with Sea Foam, started the motor to blow out the carbon and suddenly the Air Pump fires up at the right time for the right duration. OK.... so I put the ERG back on and fire it up hoping to have air out of the Check Valve. No such luck. Follow the trouble shooting video again and find a Cracked Vac line on the Check Valve. Replaced the line and tried again. Still no air. As I'm getting Vac to the port on the Check Valve I have to assume the Valve is bad so I'll be heading to the Chevy Dealer who is stocking Saturn parts and buy a new one unless someone has a fix for a bad Shut-off & Check Valve. Probably will start a new thread for that one though.

Thanks for all the help and reading the long post. Merry Christmas

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 01-05-2010, 09:03 PM   #8
pdxsl2

Replaced the Shut-off/Check valve and all is well. Thanks for all the help!!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 02-02-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
eshop
eshop is on a distinguished road

Hi, I have the exhact same problem, my air (smog) pump does not come on at all, i cleaned all the exhaust ports and tube to manifold, any help is much apreciated? where did you see the video on how to test all the syatem and power source?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to eshop's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help eshop reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
eshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2012, 04:54 PM   #10
CarsaturnSL2
CarsaturnSL2 is on a distinguished road

I checked the air pump relay and it was good. I checked the selenoid on the air pump and it was good. But the air pump still did not work. Then, I removed the 30A air pump fuse and cleaned the metal part. Then, I reinserted. It worked.

Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to CarsaturnSL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help CarsaturnSL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
CarsaturnSL2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2014, 01:27 PM   #11
herkyc130
herkyc130 is on a distinguished road

I had a problem with the pump blowing straight through the pipe and no clogs I would still get a p0410 code so I blew compressed air through the exhaust manifold secondary air pump hole to verify the ports were open and the code went away when blowing so I did this as ny state scanner read the computer till it passes the emissions test hehehehe

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to herkyc130's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help herkyc130 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
herkyc130 is offline   Reply With Quote