SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 10-07-2009, 01:23 PM   #1
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L
Default 06 V6 100K service timing belt

I was looking through the service tables in my Alldata subscription and found it interesting that Saturn actually requires very few things of a 100K service on the engine. Really its just valve adjustment, timing belt, plugs.
Notice they are not recommending
1) not tensor
2) not water pump
3) not pullys (idler or tensor)
4) not cam sprockets
5) not seals crank or cam

I know a lot of people talk about doing this stuff at 100K but I'm thinking I'll skip it until its necessary. Right now I"m considering just doing the belt and the pullys and will not do anything else unless I see a problem with the pump, leaking oil or a bad tensor.

Does this board have service experience that says otherwise? Is there really a need to do more than Saturn says?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to RobertGary1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
RobertGary1 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 10-07-2009, 01:41 PM   #2
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 06 V6 100K service timing belt

So far I've only got L81 experience, but fwiw - I didn't have any visible timing belt wear after 93k - it definitely had a lot more life left in it. But I think it was prudent changing the tensioner and idlers. The water pump had nothing to do with my timing belt, but for $58.79, while I had it exposed, I thought it would be worth not having to worry about that for a long time. Certainly no need to replace sprockets.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2009, 01:46 PM   #3
RobertGary1
Master Member
RobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura aboutRobertGary1 has a spectacular aura about

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazberry View Post
So far I've only got L81 experience, but fwiw - I didn't have any visible timing belt wear after 93k - it definitely had a lot more life left in it. But I think it was prudent changing the tensioner and idlers. The water pump had nothing to do with my timing belt, but for $58.79, while I had it exposed, I thought it would be worth not having to worry about that for a long time. Certainly no need to replace sprockets.
I'm looking at the following prices
tensor - Kragen Gates = $125 or Saturn = $121
water pump - Kragen $70-$95 depending on brand or Saturn = $135

If it were a few bucks I would just do them but these seem to be very "valued" parts. The tensor is hydrolic, not sure if its the same for the L81.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help RobertGary1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-07-2009, 02:17 PM   #4
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobertGary1 View Post
I'm looking at the following prices
tensor - Kragen Gates = $125 or Saturn = $121
water pump - Kragen $70-$95 depending on brand or Saturn = $135

If it were a few bucks I would just do them but these seem to be very "valued" parts. The tensor is hydrolic, not sure if its the same for the L81.

-Robert
This is the hazards of having a Japanese engine - parts are going to cost double. See attached for what you get in the Gates kit for $205. The L81Tensioner is spring loaded.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Gates Kit.JPG (38.3 KB, 88 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-10-2009, 06:17 AM   #5
kodak_jack
Advanced Member
kodak_jack is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

We've discussed this job in the past and have seen prices of upwards of $1,000 for a dealer to do it and less for your local guy to do it. Are there special tools needed? How do you hold the timing where it should be when you're in there routing around? If your Vue has 90,000+ on it, doing the water pump while it's apart is very prudent. With 90,000+ on it, I don't think I'd risk ruining the whole top end if it's only a $300 DIY job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kodak_jack's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kodak_jack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 08:17 AM   #6
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kodak_jack View Post
Are there special tools needed? How do you hold the timing where it should be when you're in there routing around?
I had instructions that came with the Gates kit and some that I downloaded from Autozone. I found them both to be very confusing because of all the bogus "special tools" they wanted you to use. I've become convinced that special tools are somebody's lame attempt at a money-making scheme. I wound up resorting to common sense. The only thing I think you need is something to stop the Cam Spockets from moving - see this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=144381

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2009, 10:05 AM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Are there special tools needed?
Oops! I'm talking 3.0L and you're talking 3.5. Maybe someone else knows if special tools are needed for the Honda 3.5?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-10-2009, 11:55 AM   #8
3RedLines
3RedLines will become famous soon enough

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

No special tools needed on the 3.5l

Vues currently owned:
3 04 Redlines - 2 02 3.0l AWDs -03 Black 2.2l MT - 02 Parts Vue
Other cars:
01 Cadillac SLS -96 Buick Wagon -88 Pontiac Fiero 3800SC - 89 Buick Reatta

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 3RedLines's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
3RedLines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2009, 12:30 PM   #9
nitroussaturn
nitroussaturn is on a distinguished road

i did a writeup on this,,only speacial tool u need is to remove the crank pully and its only like 30$

2004 REDLINE FWD TONS OF MODS..CLICK HERE http://www.cardomain.com/ride/3144619
1999 MERCEDES BENZ AMG E55,MY DD VETTE KILLER
2000 328I M3 RIMS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to nitroussaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help nitroussaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
nitroussaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 11:39 AM   #10
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitroussaturn View Post
i did a writeup on this,,only speacial tool u need is to remove the crank pully and its only like 30$
Everytime I've looked for this holding tool its been near $200. However, I figured I didn't need it since I have an impact wrench. I'm assuming that a few hits of the impact would do it. However, the holding tool would be useful if cam sprokets need to be replaced.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2009, 01:33 PM   #11
3RedLines

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

Less than 20 bucks here: Crank Tool

Impact tool wouldn't budge mine and I had to use a floor jack to push the breaker bar hard enough to break the crank bolt loose after installing the holding tool

Vues currently owned:
Other cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help 3RedLines reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-12-2009, 07:25 PM   #12
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3RedLines View Post
Less than 20 bucks here: Crank Tool

Impact tool wouldn't budge mine and I had to use a floor jack to push the breaker bar hard enough to break the crank bolt loose after installing the holding tool
Holy Crap! They're calling for 180 ft/lb of torque on that bolt? Jesus, did they have problems with them flying off at 100 ft/lbs? So I'm guessing that this tool, my 1/2 driver breaker bar and my 800 ft/lb impact wrench should do the job?

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2009, 04:15 AM   #13
kodak_jack
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
No special tools needed on the 3.5l
How do you hold the timing where it should be? Is there enough room in that area to use an impact gun and/ or all the other stuff that comes to mind? What else have you guys replaced while you're in there? The water pump? What else?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kodak_jack reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 10-13-2009, 11:44 AM   #14
RobertGary1
Master Member

1996 SC2
2006 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
How do you hold the timing where it should be? Is there enough room in that area to use an impact gun and/ or all the other stuff that comes to mind? What else have you guys replaced while you're in there? The water pump? What else?
Saturn's recommendation for the 100K service is *only* the belt, no pullys, no tensor, no water pumps, etc. Just the timing belt. The tensor on the 3.5 is a lot more sophisticated than the older motors that were spring driven.

-Robert

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2009, 11:45 AM   #15
3RedLines

2004 VUE Red Line
2004 VUE Red Line

The 3.5l is a single overhead cam where the 3.0 is dual cams. The single cam tends to hold its position better than the dual due to more even pressure on the cam lobes from the intake and exhaust valves.

Hope that makes some sense

Oh, and replace that water pump while you're in there.

Vues currently owned:
Other cars:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-13-2009, 05:23 PM   #16
kodak_jack
Advanced Member

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
The 3.5l is a single overhead cam where the 3.0 is dual cams. The single cam tends to hold its position better than the dual due to more even pressure on the cam lobes from the intake and exhaust valves.

Hope that makes some sense

Oh, and replace that water pump while you're in there.
Yes, definitely replace the water pump. Hey, you have some neat vehicles in your driveway!! I like the Fiero GT's.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!