SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2009, 09:47 PM   #1
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
Default O2 sensor questions....

Wow, long time since I was around here.....yes, my wife still drives her 2005 V6 Vue, now with 167000+ miles and still running like a charm. However, the Service Engine Light came on and a quick scan of the codes showed P0139 "slow response Bank1 Sensor2" OK, I give up...exactly which 02 sensor is "bank1 sensor2"?? I'd like to get a good idea before I start looking for a deal on the sensor, or crawling under the Vue....
Thanks in advance!
DH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David Harleyson is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-23-2009, 10:41 PM   #2
golftango
golftango is on a distinguished road

2009 AURA XE
Default Re: O2 sensor questions....

Bank 2 is the second O2 sensor which would be most likely by, or next to the catalytic converter. Take a peek under there, you should see it.

'09 Saturn Aura XE (sold 2013)
'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to golftango's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
golftango is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:42 PM   #3
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by golftango View Post
Bank 2 is the second O2 sensor which would be most likely by, or next to the catalytic converter. Take a peek under there, you should see it.
This is incorrect.

Bank 1 refers to the exhaust pipe coming from the bank of cylinders containing cylinder #1
Bank 2 refers to the exhaust pipe coming from the bank of cylinders that does NOT contain cylinder #1
Sensor 1 refers to the one located before the catalytic converter; usually referred to as "upstream".
Sensor 2 refers to the one located after the catalytic converter usually referred to as "downstream".

In the case of the Honda V6 in the Vue, the rear bank of cylinders closest to firewall is Bank 1. The front bank of cylinders closest to the radiator is Bank 2.

So Bank 1, Sensor 2 is located after the catalytic converter in the exhaust pipe coming from bank one.

2007 Ion 2 Quad Coupe 5-speed manual 150K miles

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ruley73's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ruley73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2009, 10:58 PM   #4
golftango

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruley73 View Post
This is incorrect.

So Bank 1, Sensor 2 is located after the catalytic converter in the exhaust pipe coming from bank one.
Umm, that is what I said. By the cat.

Generally, you're going to have an O2 sensor by the manifold and one by the cat, that is the way Hondas are set up.

'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

Last edited by golftango; 09-23-2009 at 11:08 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help golftango reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2009, 12:18 AM   #5
ruley73
Master Member
ruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the roughruley73 is a jewel in the rough

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Fixed:
Quote:
Sensor 2 is the second O2 sensor which would be most likely by, or next to the catalytic converter. Take a peek under there, you should see it.
Quote:
Umm, that is what I said. By the cat.
My point was that the bank # alone does not refer to any one particular sensor.

Quote:
Generally, you're going to have an O2 sensor by the manifold and one by the cat, that is the way Hondas are set up.
Its not just Hondas that are set up this way: EVERY gas-powered vehicle sold in the USA since model year 1996 is set up this way.

Last edited by ruley73; 09-24-2009 at 12:27 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help ruley73 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-24-2009, 09:55 AM   #6
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Harleyson View Post
Wow, long time since I was around here.....yes, my wife still drives her 2005 V6 Vue, now with 167000+ miles and still running like a charm. However, the Service Engine Light came on and a quick scan of the codes showed P0139 "slow response Bank1 Sensor2" OK, I give up...exactly which 02 sensor is "bank1 sensor2"?? I'd like to get a good idea before I start looking for a deal on the sensor, or crawling under the Vue....
Thanks in advance!
DH
David ... I've attached two service manual extracts depicting various components of 3.5 engine. Bank 1 sensor 2 is back-side of engine (nearest fire-wall) and after the cat.

I'm guessing but I'd say its the most inaccessible of the four O2 sensors - but doesn't that stand to reason?

You can PM email address if you have problems viewing the files.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 3.5 Front Comp.pdf (108.2 KB, 94 views)
File Type: pdf 3.5 Rear Comp.pdf (116.4 KB, 79 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2009, 11:41 AM   #7
golftango

2009 AURA XE

Should be easy to access, just need an O2 sensor socket. I would get one that is OE Equipment with the harness, not the universal one. I suggest either Denso or Bosch (Denso actually makes the Bosch one).

Good luck!

'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

Last edited by golftango; 09-24-2009 at 11:55 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-24-2009, 11:50 AM   #8
golftango

2009 AURA XE

Quote:
Its not just Hondas that are set up this way: EVERY gas-powered vehicle sold in the USA since model year 1996 is set up this way.
I agree.

'12 Honda Pilot EX-L
'11 Kia Optima LX

Last edited by golftango; 09-24-2009 at 11:56 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-25-2009, 06:39 PM   #9
David Harleyson
David Harleyson is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

ruley73 and far2grumpy thanks guys!!! Just what i was looking for!
DH

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to David Harleyson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help David Harleyson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
David Harleyson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2009, 11:06 PM   #10
awcmalic
awcmalic is on a distinguished road

Quote:
This is incorrect.

Bank 1 refers to the exhaust pipe coming from the bank of cylinders containing cylinder #1
Bank 2 refers to the exhaust pipe coming from the bank of cylinders that does NOT contain cylinder #1
Sensor 1 refers to the one located before the catalytic converter; usually referred to as "upstream".
Sensor 2 refers to the one located after the catalytic converter usually referred to as "downstream".

In the case of the Honda V6 in the Vue, the rear bank of cylinders closest to firewall is Bank 1. The front bank of cylinders closest to the radiator is Bank 2.

Hey rule73,

My brother owns a 2003 Saturn Vue 6 cyl. 3.0 He lives out of the country so he asked me to check on prices for oxygen senors. As in your explanation about where they are located i understand that much. Now what i need to know is does sensor 1 and sensor 2 both carry two sensors separately? when the part is actually purchased it comes with two; does one go on the front and the other in the back or do both go on either the front or back?
If you could help me out wih this little problem it would be appreciated.

a little confused!!!
thanks for your help

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to awcmalic's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help awcmalic reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
awcmalic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2009, 06:19 PM   #11
ruley73
Master Member

2007 ION-2 Quad Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by awcmalic View Post
Hey rule73,

My brother owns a 2003 Saturn Vue 6 cyl. 3.0 He lives out of the country so he asked me to check on prices for oxygen senors. As in your explanation about where they are located i understand that much. Now what i need to know is does sensor 1 and sensor 2 both carry two sensors separately? when the part is actually purchased it comes with two; does one go on the front and the other in the back or do both go on either the front or back?
If you could help me out wih this little problem it would be appreciated.

a little confused!!!
thanks for your help
Each sensor refers to just one sensor and they are always sold separately. Someone else needs to verify this, but I'm pretty sure yours still has four O2 sensors. Bank 1 Sensor 1 - in cyl #1 exhaust manifold, Bank 1 Sensor 2 post- cat. con. in cyl #1 exhaust pipe, Bank 2 Sensor 1 in exhaust manifold opposite of cyl #1, and Bank 2 Sensor 2 located post-cat. con. in exhaust pipe from bank opposite of of cyl #1.

The information you previously read in this thread about the original poster's Vue may not pertain to your vehicle since the original poster has a newer Vue with a completely different engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-16-2009, 10:22 PM   #12
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L

ruley73 ... the schematics agree with you -- there are four of the pricey little critters.

I've attached schematic for 2003 3.0 Vue oxy sensors.

awcmalic ... each failed sensor creates a unique diagnostic trouble code ... its normally not necessary to replace all at once.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf 03 Vue - 3.0 O2 Sensors.pdf (130.8 KB, 72 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote