SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn L-Series > L-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-04-2009, 07:43 PM   #1
Jimh64
Jimh64 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Rattling Noise in Front

When I drive over expansion joints on the highway my front end has a rattling noise on both driver and passenger sides. The struts seem ok as there is no excessive bounce when I push on the front end.

The car has over 160,000 miles and has not had any modifications or any front end work other than an occasional alignment.

Any ideas where I should start looking?

Thanks!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jimh64's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jimh64 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2009, 08:35 PM   #2
jcollins
jcollins is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
Default Re: Rattling Noise in Front

Check the front sway bar links. On my L200 the driver's side went bad around 90k, then the pass side around 100k. They would clunk every time I went over a bump. They are about $30 each to replace. You will need a box wrench (forget which size) and a Torx set to get them off. Alternatively to fighting the rust you can use a combination of drill, sawzall and angle grinder like I did.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jcollins's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jcollins reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jcollins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 07:53 AM   #3
Jimh64
Jimh64 is on a distinguished road

2003 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

Thanks! if I remember right, to check them, if I lift the front end, and grab the sway bar, there should be some play at the joint is the right?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jimh64's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jimh64 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:45 PM   #4
GregS&L
GregS&L will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
1995 SL2

^^^Yes, just grab the sway bar link and try to move it up and down. It is a vertical bar about 1/4" or so in diameter near the front brake calipers. If it is worn, you will feel the play and also hear the infamous rattle/rattle.

Both sides went bad at about 40,000 miles on mine. A very annoying rattle - rattle over the slightest little bump on the road.

It is an easy driveway job. The nut holding it on is an 18mm. A Torx bit is needed to hold it down so it will not rotate.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GregS&L's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GregS&L reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GregS&L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 12:57 PM   #5
Wolfc70
Wolfc70 will become famous soon enoughWolfc70 will become famous soon enough

Check the springs. I too had a rattling noise over bumps, turns out the driver side spring broke. The last part of the coil on the bottom of the spring broke off and was laying in the spring cup (for lack of a better term) and causing the rattle. Since there was still half of a coil holding the car up, there was no way to tell something was wrong, other than the noise. The springs are dealer only and are on back order (not a good sign) for my 2000 LS1. The springs are also $160 each. So by the time I get new struts and springs, it will be close to $1000. Sigh...

"I tip my hat to the man who drives an Alfa Romeo" - Henry Ford

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Wolfc70's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Wolfc70 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Wolfc70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2009, 02:14 PM   #6
Robman
Advanced Member
Robman will become famous soon enoughRobman will become famous soon enough

2001 L-Series 2.2L Sedan

I'm going to have to add to the "check the links" theory. this is a common problem as it is not the best suspension ever made and usually wears with time. you can probably get a set for $14 on ebay and springs are better bought (not through the dealer) on ebay as well because of better materials. a good set of springs could run you max $300 a set.

Rob
2001 Turbo L200
1997 F150 XLT
1985 Range Rover Classic
1999 Yamaha Blaster YFS200

Do It Yourself

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Robman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Robman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Robman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 11:03 AM   #7
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

This is a great thread.
I was just about to ask, does the L200 (2002) have any weak points in its suspension, my GF car rattles and clunks over small bumps.
SOME of the noise is in the steering column, I was told that the shaft needs to be greased but it's not an easy job.
Most of the noises are in the suspension. We can hear it clearly.

Now I have somewhere to start.

97 SL. Born 6/5/97, bought 7/7/97
08 Burgman 400
02 Haro MTB- can't kill it, still trying though

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.
Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MikeNW's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MikeNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2009, 12:38 PM   #8
cavalier
cavalier is on a distinguished road

Same issue here.

Just rolled past 189,000 miles the other day on the LS1 and guess what I'm starting to hear over the bumps.

My question is....which until now hasn't seem to have been asked....is what can really happen if I DON'T have these sway bar links replaced?

Is this a critical repair that NEEDS to be made and what are the ramifications of not doing so? (increased tire wear, etc.)

I'd really rather not spend the money right now on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to cavalier's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help cavalier reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
cavalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 09:47 AM   #9
rnelson
rnelson is on a distinguished road

2002 L-Series 3.0L Wagon

My lw300 has 160,000kms and the front sway bar links have been replaced 3 times, they do make an annoying rattle when the rubber bushing wears out. The most recent repair was broken front springs. I noticed that there was a loud rattling noise when going over bumps, my mechanic thought it was the sway bar links again but fished around and found a broken coil on the left. He advised replacing in pairs and I'm glad he did as the right was broken as well. Had to replace the strut mounts as well as they were shot. The struts still are in good shape which I'm a little surprised at considering the mileage but the mechanic thought they were fine. It sure drives like new again, funny how you used to things wearing out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to rnelson's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help rnelson reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
rnelson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 03:21 PM   #10
MikeNW
Master Member
MikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura aboutMikeNW has a spectacular aura about

1997 SL

One more Q, are these bushings available at Autozones or similar places?

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help MikeNW reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 08-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #11
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Aha! One was worn. About $30 at Advance Auto (Moog parts).
Cheaper on Rock Auto but the shipping was about $15.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-24-2009, 12:26 PM   #12
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

I guess I wasn't paying attention at Advance Auto, for some stupid reason I thought a stabilizer link "KIT" was both of the links, but it's only one, so I gotta get another one.
Also, the Moog parts have grease fittings, which is OK but now I have to get a teeny grease gun.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 08-31-2009, 11:31 AM   #13
MikeNW
Master Member

1997 SL

Just an update then I promise, no more posts

If you have an L that clunks and rattles, REPLACE THOSE LINKS! What a difference! And it took less than an hour (the left side was kind of awkward).
It rides like a new car!

Just a little clunking remains, in the steering column but it's nothing like before.

08 Burgman 400

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 10-12-2009, 04:06 PM   #14
tom_94305
tom_94305 is on a distinguished road

New to this forum.. sorry for being late to the thread!

I have this very problem with my car. Run over a bumpy road, and I hear all the rattles from around the front tires. Even when I suddenly take off, or go from gas to break, I hear a clunk. I have a 93 SL, 180,000 miles.

I cannot confirm this problem tho, when I inspect things. I jacked up my driver's side today, removed the tire, and grab and firmly wiggled everything. No clunk, no sign of anything loose.

Question to y'all, how can I identify what is really wrong? I don't want to be under there randomly replacing parts, that can run into time and money, and not fix the problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tom_94305's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tom_94305 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tom_94305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2009, 09:06 PM   #15
born again
born again is on a distinguished road

2000 L-Series 2.2L Sedan
2000 L-Series 2.2L Wagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by tom_94305 View Post
New to this forum.. sorry for being late to the thread!

I have this very problem with my car. Run over a bumpy road, and I hear all the rattles from around the front tires. Even when I suddenly take off, or go from gas to break, I hear a clunk. I have a 93 SL, 180,000 miles.

I cannot confirm this problem tho, when I inspect things. I jacked up my driver's side today, removed the tire, and grab and firmly wiggled everything. No clunk, no sign of anything loose.

Question to y'all, how can I identify what is really wrong? I don't want to be under there randomly replacing parts, that can run into time and money, and not fix the problem.

Tom, you have posted this question to the L-Series forum. Your Car is an S-Series. You should post this question as a thread in the proper forum. You will get a much better answer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to born again's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help born again reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
born again is offline   Reply With Quote