SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-28-2009, 11:34 AM   #1
C130Flyboy
C130Flyboy is on a distinguished road

1998 SL2
Dizzy Transmission Code P0741 Can not fix

Old problem cannot get fixed - My 98 SL2 had a auto Trans installed in March (since the old trans was getting the reverse slam which went away after changing the Oil and Filter then came back and starting leaking due to a small hole caused by the slam) Once the replacement Trans was installed all was great - for awhile. After driving for a few weeks the service engine light came on. I had Auto Zone scan and Code P0741 came up. reading post's I've replaced the Eng Temp. Sensor and this did not help (it was the old plastic design and was cracked). Can anyone tell me what the sensor is that goes into the Transmission that looks like the same thing? I have not replaced this yet since I do not know if it is related. The car will not shift into overdrive so I'm not getting as good MPG as I could. Other than that the car runs smoothly. Another note is that there is a wire that comes from the Trans to what I think is the Pattern Select Switch. This is a single wire with one clip even though the connector had two clips - this was loose and I tighten it - what is this, could it be related to P0741?

The Print out for the P0741 which states "General Motors" list other possible Reasons why I have code P0741:
1. TCC Solenoid failure: [B]How do I check this?
2. Open or short circuit condition: [B]Can I check this and what do I check?
3. Blocked passage in transmission: [B]How do I check?
4. Check Trans range switch for proper operation: [B]How? What does this do?

If I need a TCC Solenoid, can I check this be swapping out any of the others since they are all the same? Is this a good idea?

I need to get my car emission tested in Wisconsin and think I will fail even though it's Transmission related not emission. I'm thinking of clearing the code and taking it in (driving real slow so the light does not come on). I hope this will work. I'm not sure if they can extend my test date.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to C130Flyboy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help C130Flyboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
C130Flyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-28-2009, 12:03 PM   #2
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2
Default Re: Transmission Code P0741 Can not fix

The code is the TCC stuck off. First thing to do is check the 3 fuses in the UHJB(fuse box). Next get a can of CRC Electronics Connection cleaner and clean out both the plug and socket on the top of the transmission. Do not over tighten the center bolt holding the connector. The transmission temperature sensor is next to the fluid filter and is identical to the ECTS. Just use an ECTS from teh parts store.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 02:39 PM   #3
C130Flyboy

1998 SL2
Happy Re: Transmission Code P0741 Can not fix

OldNuc Thanks : I'll give this a try and replace the Trans. Temp. Sensor since I have not done this. I know I've checked those Fuses, I'll check them again.

What about the connector (wire) that goes the Trans to what I think is the Pattern Select Switch or is this the same thing as the Neutral Safety/ Reverse light Switch. I have a single wire with a female clip going to this which has a connector two male clips and female end clips to one of the male clips - this was a bit loose and I tighten it even though it made no difference - what is this for, could it be related to P0741?

Last edited by C130Flyboy; 07-28-2009 at 02:40 PM.. Reason: removed Icon

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help C130Flyboy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:03 PM   #4
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

If it is the switch with the 2 multi wire plugs on one end and a single wire connector on the other end it is the range switch and neutral safety switch. Or as you called it, pattern selector switch. The single wire connector is the ground. The selector cable is also attached to it.

Its not your problem. Do you have a DVM? If so you can check the continuity of the TCC solenoid. The TCC solenoid is pins E and K in the black 10 way plug on the top. The letters are on the plug. Resistance cold should be 4.5 ohms. The wires are white/black and black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-28-2009, 03:06 PM   #5
jaekl
jaekl is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
1995 SL1

Look closer at that unused and you will see that it is shaped so that you can mate to it. Look even closer and it says test D4. Anybody know what your are testing and how. I though maybe you use it to adjust the switch position, but I couldn't figure out the circuit. The single wire is probably a ground but that's just a quess. My recent look at the wiring diagram only showed the neutal safety circuit and the reverse lamp circuit. That's four wires what about the rest. They must be sending a signal to the PCM so that it knows what selection you have made.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaekl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaekl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 04:17 PM   #6
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The bent one is the range switch test point. The other is the ground for the case. The single wire connector goes on the case ground.

Range switch wiring. Does not show the park/neutral switch.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg TAAT_Range_switch.jpeg (98.1 KB, 39 views)

Last edited by OldNuc; 07-28-2009 at 04:26 PM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:28 PM   #7
C130Flyboy

1998 SL2

OldNuc, Again Thanks for taking the time to look at my Forum and offer help. All fuses are good. I stopped by the shop that put the Trans in and he reset my codes (Yes another Code came up, P0740). He sugested I drive in 3 and not go to D for a few day's. I thought it was worth a try since I need to get the emission's checked and passed by Saturday. Well the light came back on after about 10 minutes. I'm going to pickup the Trans Temp sensor tonite and see what that does.

Could there be anything I could do?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2009, 08:42 PM   #8
OldNuc

1998 SC2

The P0740 is an electrical fault in the TCC circuit. Basically the PCM is seeing less than 2-2.5vDC in the TCC actuating circuit. This is either a short to ground or an open. As you are not blowing the fuse I would suspect open circuit. This looks a lot like a top cover connector or a solenoid problem. The attached drawing shows the circuit and plugs. The basic trouble shooting is going to be the same as for the P0741.

Do you have a DVM so you can do some troubleshooting?
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg P0740.jpeg (49.1 KB, 63 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:22 PM   #9
C130Flyboy

1998 SL2

OldNuc; I do have a DVM to do the troubleshooting. Are you guessing its going to be the TCC solenoid? I'm not sure I can replace this by Saturday when I need to get the emission test done. I've read some post's that I cannot replace just one. If it's an open circuit what does that mean? What is the top cover connector?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-28-2009, 10:48 PM   #10
OldNuc

1998 SC2

OK, under the battery tray you will find the top cover of teh transmission. Thee is a plug in teh middle of it. It has 10 wires coming out of it and a little bolt in teh middle that holds it in, 10mm IIRC. The bolt is basically screwed into plastic so be nice to it. Unscrew bolt and disconnect plug. Clean out both the plug and socket with the CRC cleaner I mentioned above. Look on the plug and locate the letters for the solenoid, E and K. The wirre coliors are on teh drawing also. Now locate the same pins on the socket on the transmission and measure the resistance between E and K. If it reads 4.5 or close the solenoid is good. If you find oil in the plug or socket you have probably found the problem. If the solenoid tests good and the plug/socket is now clean put it all back together and start it up. the PCM will check the circuit in a couple of minutes so if the SES does not come on it might be fixed. You will have to remove the battery and battery tray to get at the connector and be able to see what you are doing. Those are the first steps, and there is no way to bypass this minor aggravation. There is a richpin DIY video on how to get the battery tray out of the car, its linked in the first sticky post in the How-To Library.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 AM   #11
C130Flyboy

1998 SL2

Oldnuc; I'll give this a try this afternoon. Just looking ahead, If the solenoid checks good, what will I need to do next? Thanks again.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2009, 12:22 PM   #12
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Spray out the plug and socket with CRC Electrical Connection cleaner while its open. If the plug/socket are clean and the solenoid reads 4.5 or so at room temp and 5.0 at 120F then the next step is to reassemble the transmission plug, only lightly tighten the center bolt. Next you need to start the car and let it idle. I would use jumper cables so I did not have to reinstall the battery yet. If the car runs for long enough to reach normal temperature without a SES light then it may be OK now and you can shut it off and put teh battery back in. If you get a SES, shut off the car and stick a pin through the black/white wire and check for 12V to ground with the engine running. Then you check for +voltage to ground on the black wire. You will need 2 straight pins and be careful while inserting them as the insulation is tough and the pin will drive to the bone if you slip. If there is 12v to ground (engine block) on the black/white side of the solenoid then it will depend on what the voltage reading is on the black side as to where to go next. While you have the battery tray out look at the wires that are attached to the top 2 transmission mounting bolts and look for any that may have not been reconnected or are loose.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:28 PM   #13
C130Flyboy

1998 SL2

OldNuc: :I did per your instructions above, Spray out the plug and socket with CRC Electrical Connection cleaner while its open and did find allot of Trans fluid in and around the plug/socket. Also, I could not get any reading - your instructions were great, found the E and K pins on the socket on the trans but could not get anything and I sprayed to clean out all the oil.

You said if there is in the plug or socket you have probably found the problem. So what is the problem? Looking at the plug and how the screw goes through, should there be an O-ring on the bolt to keep the oil out? I'm trying to look this up until I hear what I need to do next. Is this why I could not get any reading's?
Thanks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2009, 08:58 PM   #14
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Be sure that you have the DVM set for ohms X1 range if its not auto ranging and check for a reading on the E-K pins. No reading between those pins is telling you that the TCC solenoid has failed. Oil in the connector will also act as an insulator and cause the solenoid to fail to operate but it takes much longer. There is no o-ring on the bolt it is just to hold the plug in the socket. The hole does not go all the way through. Top cover gasket is leaking if there is oil in the connector but that is not the critical problem. To verify the meter try one of these pairs H-J, A-B, C-D, G-F, those are the rest of the solenoids. It is possible its a meter problem. Check the E-K solenoid and post back or PM me.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2009, 09:44 PM   #15
C130Flyboy

1998 SL2

OldNuc, My DVM is digital, I do not have 1X, I have 200, 2000, 20k, 200k and 2000k at the ohmw scale. I'll need to see if the 200 is working - correct?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-29-2009, 10:45 PM   #16
OldNuc

1998 SC2

Yes the lowest range. Then short the leads together and verify that it reads zero. The battery inside it could be dead and it would not read anything then.

I still think that your problem is a connector full of oil and not a bad solenoid. You can replace a single solenoid but its not a quick job.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2009, 06:53 AM   #17
jaekl
jaekl is on a distinguished road

1996 SW1
1995 SL1

You are probing the pins in the connector on the trans as OldNuc instructed?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to jaekl's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help jaekl reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
jaekl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2009, 07:27 AM   #18
OldNuc

1998 SC2

good question...... I find it hard to believe that the solenoid just up and died. They just do not fail that often considering how many are out there.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:35 AM   #19
C130Flyboy

1998 SL2

Yes, I measured the resistance of the pins on the socket on the transmission between E and K. I may need basic instruction for my DVM since I do not have the 1X position. I've only used this one a few times - I don't measure resistance too often and see it's an important tool/skill (I did have one of those analog volt meters with the 1X postion, I may need to find it and try this later today).

My biggest find was all the oil in the plug and socket. Is this comming from the gasket? Mine is a gray foam material. Are there any Pic's of the connector showing the pin's and plug. Can I replace the gasket or is there another reason why I'm getting all the oil.

I did check resistance of my Eng. Temp. Sensor and it gave me a reading.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2009, 07:47 AM   #20
C130Flyboy

1998 SL2

I hope it's all the oil. How do I stop this? I've read threads about replacing a single solenoid. I would be replacing the TCC solenoid - correct. Would this requre resetting the adaptives? I've read that this is needed for the TCC or PC solenoid. I can handle this if I need to on Sat/Sun. I'm not sure how quickly I can get one ordered. I may be able to get the one's from my old Tran's - The Mech. said he thinks he still has my Trans. I never had problems with Overdrive before only Reverse Slam which went away for awhile after changing the Tran's oil and filter. When it came back last winter, I tried to look for the 'pin' and that's when I kept leaking oil and the Mech found a nice little circler hole was cut in the case and a new Trans was needed. I should have took home the old trans at the time just for parts - you never know when you may need them and I may get something for the valve body on ebay.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!