SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Mods
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-21-2009, 09:42 AM   #41
kevo420
kevo420 is on a distinguished road

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: Sound deadening project W/(pictures)

Quote:
If everything goes as planned, I'll be doing this in a couple of hours. Doors, hatch, and cargo area if I have time for it. I had three last questions.
1. Did you use duct tape? It looks like it.
2. You mentioned using glue in the cargo area - what kind?
3. Any tricks to taking off door / hatch panels?
I started doing this on the weekend.... I got the ashpalt undercoating in the wheel wells and the cargo area matted with replectix.

1. looks like he did, i used aluminum tape made for home HVAC ducts. If you're gluing the type of tape isn't as important.

2. Anything that will bond to metal, I used PL premium in a caulking gun.

3. the trunk hatch panel is easy, two screws at the bottom come out then you pull it off. The door panels are a little different, i dont' know what year you have but i've attached a pdf for 05...shouldn't be much different.

EDIT:
attachment limit is 150 KB and my pdf is 164...

Here's the text (no pics):

1. Remove the inner door handle. Refer to Door Handle Replacement - Inside (See: Front Door Interior Handle\Service and Repair\Door Handle Replacement - Inside) .
2. Remove the upper extension trim panel. Refer to Trim Panel Replacement - Upper Extension (See: Trim Panel Replacement - Upper Extension) .
3. Remove the screw located behind the trim panel.
4. On vehicles without power windows, remove the window regulator handle. Refer to Window Regulator Handle Replacement - Door (See: Windows and Glass\Window Handle\Service and Repair) .
5. Remove the push pins (1) from the door panel.
6. Using a small flat-bladed tool, remove the pull handle escutcheon from the inside door by disengaging the retaining tab at the bottom of the escutcheon.
7. Remove the trim panel fasteners located behind the escutcheon.
8. Remove the trim panel fasteners located at the bottom of the door.
9. Pull up on the door trim panel to disengage the trim panel hooks from the sheet metal.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to kevo420's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
kevo420 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-21-2009, 11:17 AM   #42
fireman591
fireman591 is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoundGuy View Post
If everything goes as planned, I'll be doing this in a couple of hours. Doors, hatch, and cargo area if I have time for it. I had three last questions.
1. Did you use duct tape? It looks like it.
2. You mentioned using glue in the cargo area - what kind?
3. Any tricks to taking off door / hatch panels?
I used duct tape. No need for Aluminum tape.

I used spray advesive to attach the reflectix

The doors are easy to take off, Just a tad tricky getting them back on.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fireman591's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fireman591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fireman591 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 12:31 PM   #43
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
[I used duct tape. No need for Aluminum tape.
That really depends... Cheap Duct tape won't hold up for very long when exposed to high heat and freezing cold, the glue will eventually fail. Being in Canada, I get both climate extremes throughout the year (you probaby do in MI too)...so aluminum tape that's designed for hot/cold hvac systems will probably last for a long time. I didn't use adhesive in the cargo area so i went with the aluminum tape for a good bond.

But of course neither the tape or glue type is really important at all since you really only need it to hold the insulator in place until you get the trim panels re-installed. Once it's sandwiched between the metal body and plastic trim, it's not going anywhere.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help kevo420 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2009, 03:47 PM   #44
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo420 View Post
That really depends... Cheap Duct tape won't hold up for very long when exposed to high heat and freezing cold, the glue will eventually fail. Being in Canada, I get both climate extremes throughout the year (you probaby do in MI too)...so aluminum tape that's designed for hot/cold hvac systems will probably last for a long time. I didn't use adhesive in the cargo area so i went with the aluminum tape for a good bond.

But of course neither the tape or glue type is really important at all since you really only need it to hold the insulator in place until you get the trim panels re-installed. Once it's sandwiched between the metal body and plastic trim, it's not going anywhere.
I overlapped the reflectix seams. The duct tape is just a safety in case the glue fails. The car will be in the junkyard before the glue or tape fails though.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help fireman591 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-21-2009, 04:08 PM   #45
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
The car will be in the junkyard before the glue or tape fails though.
Probably...

I'm about to head out and continue on with my insulation, did you do any of the pillars in the car?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2009, 04:53 PM   #46
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevo420 View Post
Probably...

I'm about to head out and continue on with my insulation, did you do any of the pillars in the car?
No pillars yet

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-21-2009, 09:13 PM   #47
SoundGuy
SoundGuy is on a distinguished road

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

Kevo, thanks for the instructions but I really need the pics. Can you email those to me? I"ll pm you my email. I took some stuff off the rear door on the inside but it almost seemed I had to take off the outer poly panel to access anything else. At that point, I figured I'd stop and wait for clear direction before I broke something.

I did get the hatch done. Ha - forgot what the plastic cover covered and had to cut a second time because I had it too wide. Easy fix.

I had not read the responses before I was at the store so I ended up buying high temp duct tape.

Also added blue tint license cover with chrome trim. Nothing real expensive but it classes it up a little.

off to bed

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SoundGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SoundGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SoundGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 10:53 PM   #48
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

i'll e-mail you the pdf when i get home from work.

Slow day here so i got the hatch door, 3-doors (drivers door needs some wiring fixed so i'm saving it for last), and the a-pillar trim all done. Can't wait to drive home and test it out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2009, 06:23 PM   #49
SoundGuy

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

Got the right-rear door done, thanks to your pdf. Before I do the others, now that I've got the feel for this...what is the trick to popping the cover off over the screw behind the handle so it snaps back in place? I tried using the thin blade of my swiss army knife and it popped out but didn't appear to have a way to snap back in. Figure I'd ask before I did the same to the other three doors.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SoundGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 07-22-2009, 08:23 PM   #50
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

I broke every one of those things except one...lol

actually went to the dealership today to see if they sold them, the parts guy said no but i secretly believe he doesn't know what he's talking about.

Use a flat bladed tool at the top of the circular piece of plastic to pry it out. It's 'hinged' at the bottom and won't actually come completely off, you then have access to the screw. Once you're all done and the handle is re-installed just flip up the cover and push it back in, it should hold.

The shift has started off slow so I just finished the drivers door (and fixed my power door lock wiring YAY)... Can't wait to take it out for a rip to see, i could already tell a difference yesterday.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-22-2009, 09:57 PM   #51
SoundGuy

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

Thanks. If I'm lucky, I'll have it done by the weekend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:14 PM   #52
SoundGuy

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

I finished the project a few minutes ago. The project was to cover the 4 doors and the hatch. I was able to do that with one roll of the reflectix with about 3 feet left to spare.

In a few weeks, I'll also line the spare tire area. For now, I'm happy with the results. Don't think I'll go the extra distance and spray the wheel wells.

After all the work, I thought I'd add one note. After finishing the third door, I checked the lock and noticed it locked but the lock lever didn't click completely - about 1/16 of red tag still visible. I hadn't checked the door before hand, so I figured it was like that when I got the car (used). When it came to the last door - driver side, I looked at the locking lever bar and noticed that it was between the vapor barrier and the metal door - not inside the metal door. Therefore, based on my gut feeling, I cut out a little of the bubble liner (more like removed one layer of silver and popped a few bubbles in the reflectix where the locking bar sticks out. After sealing up the door, the door lock lever would be in the full closed position with no red tag showing.

Therefore, if anyone is thinking of doing this, it's a bit more work that rolling out the reflectix and taping it down. Not only do you have to cut holes for speakers and the door tabs, you also have to watch the door locks.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-25-2009, 02:40 PM   #53
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
After finishing the third door, I checked the lock and noticed it locked but the lock lever didn't click completely - about 1/16 of red tag still visible.
I experienced the same thing with my drivers side door, but even with that little bit of red showing the door is still locked so i didn't really care too much.

I did the trunk (floor, spare tire well, and hatch), all four doors, a-pillars, and i did both b-pillars last night. What i notice is that you start to hear all the other sources of noise now... Don't get me wrong, the car is more quiet than it was, but the noise from the firewall and floorpans stick out like a sore thumb now.

If it wasn't raining right now i'd probably do the whole floor.

I did spray the wheels wells and noticed a slight improvement, i didn't use near as much undercoating as the OP (only 2 cans). I sprayed the metal part of the wheel wells, and the bottoms of all the plastic liners. We'll see what it sounds like after i'm done with the floor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2009, 07:55 AM   #54
SoundGuy

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

Oh, I did follow your instructions regarding the screw caps on the last three doors and I didn't break any! Now I just need a little silicon gel to put the first one back one.

The pillars...hmmm. I do has some scrap for those...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-26-2009, 11:06 AM   #55
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
The pillars...hmmm. I do has some scrap for those...
I did the pillars entirely with scrap pieces from the doors

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 AM   #56
SoundGuy

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

I pulled off the cover for the pillar by the windshield but it didn't seem there was room for anything. I drove it to work today (getting those interstate miles) for the first time since I finished all the doors. Now it's really only once I go above 65mph that I notice the road noise. I need to grab my dB meter and see the actual sound decibel difference.

A friend of mine has a honda CRV and said the road noise was terrible for him. I might see if he wants the same done for his CRV.

I still need to do the spare tire area but seeing how much time I've spent with my VUE recently, I don't want to tick off my wife. This past weekend when I was working on the doors, she said "I hope I don't become a VUE widow." I hope she was joking.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2009, 11:29 AM   #57
kevo420

2000 SC2
2005 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
I pulled off the cover for the pillar by the windshield but it didn't seem there was room for anything.
I put the reflectix on the underside of the trim... I'll try and snap a pic tonight if i remember.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-27-2009, 12:33 PM   #58
SoundGuy

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 AURA XE

Ah, don't worry about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-30-2009, 09:08 PM   #59
fireman591

2005 VUE 3.5L

OK I finally finished the seating area under the carpet. All I can say is WOW!!!!
The car is silent up to 55mph after that you can start to hear the wind noise but nothing like before I insulated it. I ended up using 3 rolls of 18"x24' reflectix,1 roll of duct tape and 1 can of spray adhesive.
Have a good one
Fireman591

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 07-31-2009, 09:04 AM   #60
PortugalFocus
Advanced Member
PortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nicePortugalFocus is just really nice

2005 VUE 2.2L

Fantastic job. I'm excited to try it myself. Awesome really.

Michelin LTX M/S2's // MOMO // Razzi Spoiler // Westin // Hella // K&N // Clear Corners

V6 Air Bag and Steering Wheel Swap
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=155754

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PortugalFocus's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PortugalFocus reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PortugalFocus is offline   Reply With Quote