SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Ion > Ion General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2009, 10:34 PM   #1
blaisedaddy
blaisedaddy is on a distinguished road

Default no crank no start 04 ION

Help need the steps to replace ignition switch

Remove the upper steering column bezel. (pull up)
remove the lower left bezel (7mm)
Remove the ignition switch. (t15 torx IIRC)

I need more than this any one hav a link? I've seen it before but it's gone or deleted need a re-post ??

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to blaisedaddy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help blaisedaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
blaisedaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-11-2009, 05:55 AM   #2
blaisedaddy

Default Re: no crank no start 04 ION

Is the replacement this easy ?
I am thinking that "Remove the upper steering column bezel." is the pat of the steering column that is the top part between the wheel and the dash ??
I am just worried that I will take apart the wrong parts and break something.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help blaisedaddy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-11-2009, 06:45 AM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Check back through past threads or use the search feature for Ion ignition switch issues as there were plenty of cold weather related lock-outs. All due to excessive grease in the original switches. Some posts will have instructions that aren't difficult to follow for replacing it.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 07:22 AM   #4
blaisedaddy

Thanks fdryer
I did but there are so many and it's hard to find just the steps needed.
No worries I have the new switch in and am re-programing now.

should be done in about 20 min...
Thanks again...

Blaisedaddy

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2009, 08:11 AM   #5
bc3tech
Master Member
bc3tech will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XR
2007 Outlook XR
Wrench Re: no crank no start 04 ION

Quote:
Originally Posted by blaisedaddy View Post
Help need the steps to replace ignition switch

Remove the upper steering column bezel. (pull up)
remove the lower left bezel (7mm)
Remove the ignition switch. (t15 torx IIRC)

I need more than this any one hav a link? I've seen it before but it's gone or deleted need a re-post ??
http://www.eatoninside.com/showthread.php?t=1262

+rep always appreciated!

The Procharged Ion - http://kickassion.bc3tech.net
16.317s @ 85.30mph (Nearly stock)
188.28whp / 175.03wtq - SMP Stage 2 - 10psi

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to bc3tech's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help bc3tech reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
bc3tech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 08:48 AM   #6
blaisedaddy

OK thanks to all
got it done and found this post most helpful

a BIG Thanks to zborgerd
for the info pasted below

I'd like to add a few details to the posts from the other folks here.

1. First of all, getting to the T15 torx screws can be really difficult (notably the one in the back). You may want to expect to need a *very small* socket set or something that is low profile. You will not be able to use a torx bit that is attached to a driver.

2. In my case, the old ignition switch was "stuck". I had to put my key in the ignition and wiggle it / turn it just enough and then the switch popped right out.

3. After installing the new switch, the reset procedure *MUST* be performed EXACTLY the right way. If you fail to follow the steps, your 30 minutes will turn into an hour or more of constantly trying to reset the passkey system.

I would like to provide some clarity on the EXACT steps that appear to have been required, since some posts might be a bit vague or there may be several ways that it is suggested to do this.

I. Try to start the engine (first time). It may or may not fire the starter. If you have a manual transaxle (like I do), be sure to hold the clutch in when you try to start the car. After the start fails, *LEAVE THE KEY IN THE "RUN" POSITION* for 10 minutes. During this 10 minutes, the passkey icon (the lock) will flash every half second or so. After *EXACTLY* 10 minutes, it will stop flashing.

II. Second time - Once it has stopped flashing, turn the key to the "ACC" position, which is halfway between OFF and RUN. Wait about 10 seconds. Turn the key back to the RUN position (depressing the clutch, if it is a manual) and try to start it. The passcode light will flash again for yet another 10 minutes. When it stops flashing, continue to the next step.

III. Third time - Once it has stopped flashing, turn the key to the "ACC" position, which is halfway between OFF and RUN. Wait about 10 seconds. Turn the key back to the RUN position (depressing the clutch, if it is a manual) and try to start it. The passcode light will flash again for yet another 10 minutes. When it stops flashing, continue to the next step.

IV. After you have done this 3 times, over a period of exactly thirty minutes, turn the key to the OFF position. Wait for 30 seconds. Do not get impatient, because one wrong move could cause this to fail! After 30 seconds, the car should start. Rejoice that you've saved $200. Curse Saturn for such ****** engineering, and the fact that you will be repeating this process every few years as others have experienced (guess I'm lucky to only deal with it now)

Thanks To All

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #7
2006 ion2
Master Member
2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough2006 ion2 will become famous soon enough

2007 ION-2 Sedan

cleaning the grease from the old one and re greasing it with good dielectric grease from your old hardware store is all that's needed. why does everyone replace their good switches because of bad grease?

2007 Saturn Ion 2
2003 Chevrolet venture lt

trifecta dealer for the U.P. and WI. There is no two door ion. Proudly driving one of the last saturns produced before gm killed the brand.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2006 ion2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2006 ion2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2006 ion2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
plato
plato is on a distinguished road

2005 ION-2 Sedan
1996 SC2

because nobody takes the time to read!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to plato's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help plato reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
plato is offline   Reply With Quote