SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Aura > Aura General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-19-2009, 01:38 AM   #1
DougsAura
DougsAura is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE
2000 SL2
Default Cabin Air Filter

I have a 2008 Saturn Aura XE with the 4 cyl, I was wondering if there is a Cabin Air Filter, and where it might be. I was hoping to change it soon!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DougsAura's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DougsAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DougsAura is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-19-2009, 06:47 AM   #2
billwill
billwill is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR
Default Re: Cabin Air Filter

I have a 2007 XR... does it have a cabin air filter? If so, where? TIA.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to billwill's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help billwill reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
billwill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 11:59 AM   #3
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

There was another thread about this and people said it was behind the glove box. They also said that it was missing on the Saturns, just a space for it, but no filter. I never checked on my car so I don't know for sure.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 03:59 PM   #4
Gibbles
Gibbles is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE

there is a place where you can cut to take one, but there is not one from the factory

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gibbles's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gibbles reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gibbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2009, 05:15 PM   #5
onefunkar
Master Member
onefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura aboutonefunkar has a spectacular aura about

2008 Outlook XR
2007 AURA XR

auras do not have cabin air filter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to onefunkar's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help onefunkar reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
onefunkar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 02:38 PM   #6
AuraDrvr89
Master Member
AuraDrvr89 will become famous soon enough

2007 AURA XE

Agreed with the two posts above. Auras definitely do not have a cabin air filter (even though the dealer tried to make me purchase one on two separate occasions.. )

Has anyone (still posting regularly) done the filter mod? I think I would be interested.

-Joel

Now: 2009 BMW 328i xDrive, Monaco Blue Metallic
Then:
2007 SATURN AURA XE,Cream White
2004 Saturn Ion 3 Special Edition Sedan, Onyx Black

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to AuraDrvr89's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
AuraDrvr89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2009, 05:24 PM   #7
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Once you drop the glove box you can see the air/fan box. There is a label and cut lines for the air filter. Go buy a house air filter of your choice and cut out some filters. I got 1 house filter and it made 4 for the car. Not sure but IIRC the box is designed for ~ 10.5 x 8".

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
DougsAura

2008 AURA XE
2000 SL2

Thank you to all contributors, next question, has anybody experienced an unpleasant, stale odor coming from their vents,and if so how would you address this? No one smokes in the car or any other known cause, other than condensation?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help DougsAura reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2009, 11:15 AM   #9
XR524
XR524 is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
Agreed with the two posts above. Auras definitely do not have a cabin air filter (even though the dealer tried to make me purchase one on two separate occasions.. )

Has anyone (still posting regularly) done the filter mod? I think I would be interested.
its strange that when i see a dead skunk on the road, i dont smell it(much). you'd think that would be because of a filter somewhere like a cabin filter... i dunno how the A/C works in the Aura. i noticed the other day i was driving behind a diesel(the kind of diesel drivers that DO NOT keep their engine clean at all, and every time they gear up, a huge cloud of smoke explodes out the tailpipe) and i was suprised that i couldnt smell the smoke.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to XR524's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
XR524 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 12:07 PM   #10
gregh2000
gregh2000 has a spectacular aura aboutgregh2000 has a spectacular aura about

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougsAura View Post
Thank you to all contributors, next question, has anybody experienced an unpleasant, stale odor coming from their vents,and if so how would you address this? No one smokes in the car or any other known cause, other than condensation?
I have noticed that with my car. If I turn on the AC it seems to go away but if I just have the vent on it has a weird smell. I only noticed this once on a day it was warm out for the first time this winter. I just guessed that the vents might have had some condensation in there or something throughout the winter and needs some airing out.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to gregh2000's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help gregh2000 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
gregh2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 01:52 PM   #11
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

Dust buildup on the coil, and moisture. Auto parts places carry a spray you can use, or pick up a can of Fabreeze that neutralizes odors. I spray it into the footwell/duct area, and into the cowl intake from the outside with the car running and fan on a medium speed. On other cars in the past, I have sometimes resorted to one of those odor-eating cans of pellets under the front seat in the spring until we get through the cold/humid season (right after the winter months seem the worst). I do know that some forum members have complained to the dealer (under warranty), and the tech will do the "clean and spray neutralizer" for them. However, this is usually not a warranty item, it is pretty normal. I don't know if adding the cabin filter will address that situation, likely not. I have cabin filters in two of my other cars (Ford Freestyle and Pontiac Bonneville) and all they seem good for is to drain money from my wallet every few years for a new filter - which can run $30 - 40 from the dealer. I got my last cabin filter (Bonneville) on-line in a 2-pack for under $10 each delivered off eBay. Best luck.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #12
Kpolktx
Kpolktx is on a distinguished road

The only car I have ever owned that when first cranked, the air from the AC does smell like wet moldy socks until the air cools. Of course it's worse in the summer. I complained to the dealer about 5 months after I bought it. The told me they coated the coil and installed a blower. First time I encountered the blower was about 1/2 hour after I had parked in the carport. I went out to the car and there was this blower going to town. Very noticible inside and out. My cat will jump off the roof of the car when it comes on. They told me this would reduce moisture and should help the smell. IT DOES NOT.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kpolktx's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kpolktx reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kpolktx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #13
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougsAura View Post
I recommend you buy a small can of air freshener called OZIUM. (This can is about $3-4.)

Close all windows and turn your Air conditioning on high, recirculate, all the way cold, blowing through the vents and/or defroster, not the floor.

Open the driver side door, spray the OZIUM underneath the dashboard continuously for 15-30 seconds.

When finished, close the door, making sure the car is completely sealed. Let it run for 15 minutes this way (closed up, AC on high w/recirc)

After 15 minutes has passed, quickly shut the car off, close it up and let it sit overnight.

This should remove all odors caused by anything in your HVAC system. Many times, mold/mildew will accumulate in the ductwork and coils and cause a fowl smell. I have used this method multiple times on different cars, it works great. Freshens the HVAC system up.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help AuraDrvr89 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-21-2009, 03:19 PM   #14
VWCarcrazy
Advanced Member
VWCarcrazy is on a distinguished road

2008 AURA XE

That's the stuff I have seen used. Fabreeze works just as well (I use the fresh - minimal scent variety). Cost wise, about the same at $2 - 3 per can. I usually spray the trunk mat as well, it gets musty over the winter as well and that leaking milk carton from the store...nothing worst than sour milk soaked into your trunk mat after a few weeks.

2008 Aura XE 2.4L
Ocean Mist/Titanium

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VWCarcrazy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VWCarcrazy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VWCarcrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2009, 12:45 AM   #15
DougsAura

2008 AURA XE
2000 SL2

Thanks, I'll check out the OZIUM or the fabreeze, in the morning,

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-22-2009, 12:36 PM   #16
XR524

2007 AURA XR

thanks auradriver. good info! i too have noticed a slightly unpleasant moldy smell coming through the A/C vents, typically on warmer days. It might just be that I live within 50 miles of the Gulf of Mexico. Every night between April and November gets so humid that dew covers everything, including cars. When it dries it still looks ok but I can imagine that much of that dew is making its way under the hood etc... that combined with dust, etc, like you said sounds like it would be the cuplrit for the smell. Like the others, the smell goes away after A/C has been on for a minute or two.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help XR524 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-22-2009, 04:01 PM   #17
metgol
metgol is on a distinguished road

2007 AURA XE
1998 SW2

Moisture builds in the AC system. Before turning off the AC run it in the heat(red) zone on the thermostat to dry out the moisture.

98 SW2 214000miles
07 Aura 19500miles
/////Alpine inside!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to metgol's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help metgol reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
metgol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2009, 11:12 AM   #18
XR524

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by metgol View Post
Moisture builds in the AC system. Before turning off the AC run it in the heat(red) zone on the thermostat to dry out the moisture.
yea but... why would i want to run the heater on a 90 degree day? lol. you'd have to run the heater at its hottest for at least like 5 minutes before it dries up the condensation. So, pull in the driveway, switch AC to heater, and wait 5 minutes? lol. no way im doin that...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-23-2009, 02:32 PM   #19
AuraDrvr89
Master Member

2007 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by XR524 View Post
yea but... why would i want to run the heater on a 90 degree day? lol. you'd have to run the heater at its hottest for at least like 5 minutes before it dries up the condensation. So, pull in the driveway, switch AC to heater, and wait 5 minutes? lol. no way im doin that...
+1 OZIUM is wayy easier.

-Joel

Then:

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-24-2009, 10:46 AM   #20
XR524

2007 AURA XR

Quote:
Originally Posted by AuraDrvr89 View Post
+1 OZIUM is wayy easier.
im gonna do the ozium cleaning this weekend. my car doesnt smell or anything but from time to time that slight moldy smell comes out of the AC right when its turned on, for a minute or two.

thanks again auradrivr. should that ozium be available at autozone/oreillys/wal mart?>

REWARD EXCELLENCE!