SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-13-2009, 09:55 PM   #1
acm1108
acm1108 is on a distinguished road

Default 03 VUE 3.0 Liter V6 Need HELP PLZ!!!

Ok here's the deal. About December my car would drive fine and then it would jolt real fast as a hard shift and the engine light would come on. Through many shops and ****. AAMCO decided I need a new " Throttle Body" for my 3.0 v6 2003 vue. Problem is NO Saturn around my way or any repair shops have this item package. ( Pensacola,and Tallahassee) Both places said they are on "back order til march." I need the car now and it's become a real burden with getting a job and everything being a college student.

If anyone can help me out as to a phone number or anybody that can help I will appreciate it greatly.

Saturn 2003 3.0 Liter Engine Trottle Body TPS Sensor - Package I need.

PLEASE HELP

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to acm1108's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help acm1108 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
acm1108 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2009, 10:37 PM   #2
far2grumpy
Master Member
far2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to allfar2grumpy is a name known to all

2005 VUE 3.5L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: 03 VUE 3.0 Liter V6 Need HELP PLZ!!!

acm1108 ... you might review the symptoms listed in attached file to see it any pertain to your problem.

I have no first hand knowledge of a Vue with excessively over-serviced aftermarket oil filter but they can apparently cause problems with the MAF sensor.
Attached Files
File Type: doc Oiled Air Filter.doc (27.5 KB, 19 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to far2grumpy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help far2grumpy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
far2grumpy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 10:49 PM   #3
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

Saturnparts.net has it for $520. saturnparts.net Saturnfans has many members here including some of the best Saturn techs that may be able to help. The question is what were the trouble codes that AAMCO found that they determined is a throttle body issue? As a newbie on this site and with your predicament, it may help to read as much of the Vue threads as possible - there are hardly any posts related to failure of the electronic throttle body. Did you know that your engine is throttle-by-wire and has a dedicated electronic other half, the accelerator pedal position module? These two are electronically linked and do away with the throttle cable completely. The L300's also has the same engine with the same drive-by-wire system and if you search the L300 threads you'll also find that hardly any posts are about throttle assembly failures. If you begin to see a pattern you may begin to understand that there's more troubleshooting involved with our EFI electronic throttles than meets the eye and perhaps AAMCO may not be in the best position to diagnose this type of problem when Saturn service is better equipped with dedicated equipment to attempt a more thorough examination. Of course, pulling the codes would be the first task before determining which way to go.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 09:01 AM   #4
acm1108

Hey man checked out saturnparts.com they are on "back order" just like everyone else is telling me. I can try and get AAMCO's codes.. see the situation sucks I'm a student in one city and my car and family is in another city trying to get it fixed. I aprreciate both inputs. Thank you.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help acm1108 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 01-14-2009, 09:53 AM   #5
Gerry Proctor
Master Member
Gerry Proctor has a spectacular aura aboutGerry Proctor has a spectacular aura about

2008 Astra XR
2008 SKY Red Line

Doubt you'd need a throttle body. More likely a MAF cleaning or replacement. A MAF will certainly cause transmission shifting issues. TBs have their own issues (very few, though) and will usually cause the car to go into limp mode when there is a problem. It uses throttle by wire.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Gerry Proctor's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Gerry Proctor reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Gerry Proctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 11:47 AM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

As mentioned above, getting the codes are more important before going with AAMCO's diagnosis. And here's another tip if you aren't aware - you can go to any shop or auto chain store like Autozone for a FREE reading of engine codes. There may be one state (California?) that banned Autozone from performing this but members here don't seem to have any problems in their home state with their local Autozone providing this free service. Every shop will set their own policy on use of readers/scanners so it pays to shop around to find auto stores like Autozone. I just recently had my SES light come on almost two weeks ago and finally asked a co-worker to borrow his reader; I thought the DTC was repeating the gas cap leak from a year ago but was surprised that this time it was P0155 - one of two O2 sensor heaters. I reset the error and it hasn't come back. I used Autozone last year but wanted to try reading for myself; the one I used is the common type that only reads universal codes. Good enough this time.

MAF sensor failures seems to be the weakness in the L-series cars as we have the most posts about them.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2009, 07:58 PM   #7
1saxman
Master Member
1saxman is on a distinguished road

2003 VUE 3.0L

Quote:
Originally Posted by far2grumpy View Post
acm1108 ... you might review the symptoms listed in attached file to see it any pertain to your problem.

I have no first hand knowledge of a Vue with excessively over-serviced aftermarket oil filter but they can apparently cause problems with the MAF sensor.
Not oil filter - AIR filter.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 1saxman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 1saxman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
1saxman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 09:56 AM   #8
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

I had problems (not as severe as yours) with my 2003 V6. I had my throttle body cleaned by the dealership. The cleaning was fairly cheap and solved the problem.

MAF may be a problem. You really need to go to a place that can read the codes. (AutoZone may not have the scan tools to properly read the problem).

I urge you to get a second opinion before shelling out $500+ to AAMCO.
Gerry Proctor's advice about cleaning should be considered.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2009, 11:52 PM   #9
acm1108

Well to give you guys an update, the MAF is fine they took apart the harness or whatever the throttle bottle is in and put it back together cleaning everything. And the several tests show that it is ONE sensor from the throttle body. Which means the sensor is like 100 bucks but saturn doesn't just sell the sensor you have to buy the whole kit which is on back order. We called every junkyard and even got a couple used ones that don't work. Looks like we'll have to put the Vue to sleep. R.I.P.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!