SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series General
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-26-2008, 10:02 PM   #1
GROVERBOY
GROVERBOY is on a distinguished road

Default radiator drain valve

I have a 2002 SC1 and want to change the antifreeze( 1- @ 96000km do I need to and (2 if I do, how do you loosen the drain plug as it is a weird one. Thanks

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to GROVERBOY's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help GROVERBOY reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
GROVERBOY is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 09-26-2008, 10:45 PM   #2
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2
Default Re: radiator drain valve

1/4" drive rachet with a short extension works wonders... . Turns about 90 degrees and pulls out. I always keep a spare (about $4.50 at the dealer) since I usually round out the square hole on it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:16 AM   #3
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by MiSaturn View Post
1/4" drive rachet with a short extension works wonders... . Turns about 90 degrees and pulls out. I always keep a spare (about $4.50 at the dealer) since I usually round out the square hole on it.
I take it you must be using a socket like this.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2008, 10:49 PM   #4
Tiger
Master Member
Tiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura aboutTiger has a spectacular aura about

1999 SL2

I had a hard time figuring it out also. Thought I would break the plastic on mine. The o-ring stuck and finally broke loose. I epoxied a piece of metal to the part you grip which gave me more leverage without tools. Worked like a charm. Now I have a new radiator and my modified drain cock went to the scrap heap. Lefty loosey.

Truth alone triumphs, not untruth.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Tiger's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Tiger reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:58 AM   #5
PurdueGuy
Master Member
PurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the roughPurdueGuy is a jewel in the rough

1999 SC2
1999 SC1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Saturn View Post
I take it you must be using a socket like this.

why would he be? The drain plugs on saturns I've seen have a square hole in the middle that are a perfect fit to a 1/4" ratchet...

SaturnSeries.net owner

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to PurdueGuy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help PurdueGuy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
PurdueGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 10:59 AM   #6
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

The drain plug on my original 98 radiator has a little flat oval handle on it that the wrench on the right would fit just fine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 11:43 AM   #7
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurdueGuy View Post
why would he be? The drain plugs on saturns I've seen have a square hole in the middle that are a perfect fit to a 1/4" ratchet...
I have four OEM radiators and one aftermarket outside. No square hole.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 09-28-2008, 11:46 AM   #8
OldNuc
OldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud ofOldNuc has much to be proud of

1998 SC2

hmmm, mine looks just like #2..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 12:01 PM   #9
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldNuc View Post
hmmm, mine looks just like #2..
Nice and clean.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 09-28-2008, 05:20 PM   #10
white95SL1
white95SL1 is on a distinguished road

1992 SC
2004 VUE Red Line

My '01 SC2 had a drain plug with a square hole that you put a 1/4" ratchet into. I'd never seen one before that, so I was confused at first. All of the others I've seen were like the ones posted above.

Brandon

'92 Saturn SCm- Red & Silver (rebuild in progress)
'04 Saturn VUE Red Line- Black Onyx

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to white95SL1's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help white95SL1 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
white95SL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2008, 09:57 PM   #11
DIYguy
Master Member
DIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the roughDIYguy is a jewel in the rough

1997 SC2
Happy Re: radiator drain valve

Both my original and the ReadyRad replacement had/have the 1/4" square hole plug. No "wings" at all. I wish the present one had a plug like the ones shown above.

However, I happen to have a 1/4" square drive "L" shaped wrench left over from an Ikea build. Works like a charm. I honestly hadn't thought of using a 1/4" drive ratchet because I have the wrench and didn't even stop to consider anything else....

Great idea though. Perhaps I'll try the ratchet next time because space it tight where it is located (on mine anyway).

DIYguy

Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati

97SC2 Saturn, Cruze Eco, Chevy SS P/U, Honda VT1100C

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to DIYguy's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help DIYguy reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
DIYguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2008, 12:00 AM   #12
Growser
Advanced Member
Growser is on a distinguished road

2002 SL2
2000 SL1

Just a thought, when I'm at a pull your own junk yard I look for the old style drain valve, and keep a couple on hand for my newer Saturns. They usually don't even charge me for the plug.

7 Saturn Car Family with + 900,000 miles.
2002 SL2, 2000 SL1, 1997 SC2, 1997 SC1, 1996 SC1, 1994 SC2, and now a 93 SC2 project car.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Growser's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Growser reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Growser is offline   Reply With Quote