SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Closed Thread

Old 03-13-2001, 06:58 PM   #1
SaturnSid
SaturnSid is on a distinguished road

Default Tire Size on 99 SL1

Hey yall, I have a 99 SL1, with the factory Firestones on it, 175x70x14's..
According to the tire size calclator on Tiretrack.com, I can step up to a wider tire size of 205x60x14's...And still maintain my current factory tire diameter...My qusetion is, what is the wheel rim with of the factory 1999 SL1 wheel, and will a 205x60x14 fit it? And what advantages and disadvantges might I expect??

Sid

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SaturnSid's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 03-13-2001, 08:36 PM   #2
Sam96SL2
Sam96SL2 is on a distinguished road

I don't think the 205 tires will fit. And as far as the overall tire diameter it would be smaller than the original tire diameter

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sam96SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sam96SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2001, 11:41 PM   #3
dusanmal
dusanmal is on a distinguished road

It won't fit due to the width and the tight tolerance for it at front wheels. Most that you can "step up" is 195 (I have them on my Saturn). However, even for 195s you need to add a couple of proper size washers to all front wheel wheel-holding studs before you mount the wheel on them, in order to shift the tire away from the strut. If you don't add them, even 195 width tires will touch the strut by the side (and eventually tear the tire). On rear wheels there is no such problem.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dusanmal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dusanmal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-13-2001, 11:47 PM   #4
dusanmal
dusanmal is on a distinguished road

Continuation of my previous post (forgot to add important detail...): You can't add more washers and shift the wheel even further out in order to fit 205 width tires. There is not enough lenghth in wheel-holding studs to allow for safe wheel mounting when more than couple washers are added before the wheel...
Also, any other modifications might be far too expencive and involved just to add wider tires...

Hope this helps,...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to dusanmal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help dusanmal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2001, 09:54 AM   #5
todd

The 195/60/14 size is the pluz zero replacement for the 175/70/14. I have successfully run a set of 195/60/14 Bridgestone Potenza RE930's on my previous Saturn - a '92 SL1. I did so without the need for spacers, and did not experience any rubbing on the struts. I don't know if the 99 suspension is different than the 92, but if they're not, they *should* work.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help todd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-14-2001, 03:37 PM   #6
todd

Just re-read the original post. The stock 14's are 14 x 5.5. Hope this helps.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todd's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help todd reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!

Old 03-14-2001, 03:59 PM   #7
Phil
Advanced Member
Phil is on a distinguished road

You will want to be cautious if you go adding on washers and the like so you can fit a wider tire. Not only can you foul up the suspension geometry (leading to all kinds of alignment problems), but if you stick them out too far you can potentially run afoul of THE MAN (many states have laws about how far tires can jut out form the fenders).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Phil's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Phil reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-14-2001, 04:44 PM   #8
SJGSilverSL
SJGSilverSL is on a distinguished road

I just replaced the factory Firestone tires on my '99 SL with P185/70/R14 Yokohama Avid Touring tires. There weren't many choices in the standard P175/70/R14 size. What a difference these tires make in the rain!

The P185/70/R14 is a +0 tire, meaning no modifications need to be made to the car.

Cheers,
Scott

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to SJGSilverSL's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help SJGSilverSL reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2001, 05:48 PM   #9
todd

Not to disagree, but the 185/70/14 is not a true "Plus Zero" tire for the SL1. The 185/65/14 or 195/60/14 are the Plus zero sizes. The 185/70/14 is a little taller than the stock tires. I imagine the speedometer error woul be minimal, though - probably 2-3 mph low compared to stock.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to todd's Reputation

Old 03-15-2001, 09:42 PM   #10
SaturnSid

Many thanks for all the informative replies to this post. It looks like the tire with of 205 is just a bit too wide to clear the struts on the front end. Darn...... Oh well..But it dose look like a "195" with will fit with room to spare.
Listed below is the URL for the tire size calculator I spoke of in the orginal post. I was in error when I indicated that it was on tirerack.com....Check out the url, and the tire size calculator on that site, and let me know if you guys think it is accurate...Its a real cool calculator to play with.
Let me know what you think !
Sid

http://www.saturnperformance.com/tech/tiresize.asp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help SaturnSid reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 03-15-2001, 09:42 PM   #11
SaturnSid

Many thanks for all the informative replies to this post. It looks like the tire with of 205 is just a bit too wide to clear the struts on the front end. Darn...... Oh well..But it dose look like a "195" with will fit with room to spare.
Listed below is the URL for the tire size calculator I spoke of in the orginal post. I was in error when I indicated that it was on tirerack.com....Check out the url, and the tire size calculator on that site, and let me know if you guys think it is accurate...Its a real cool calculator to play with.
Let me know what you think !
Sid

http://www.saturnperformance.com/tech/tiresize.asp

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 03-15-2001, 10:23 PM   #12
Sam96SL2
Sam96SL2 is on a distinguished road

Holl on now a 205 tire will fit with no problems, just not on a stock wheel. I have 215's on my car and it clears the struts with no problem

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Sam96SL2's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Sam96SL2 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Closed Thread