SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2008, 09:36 AM   #1
livingproofofit
livingproofofit is on a distinguished road

Default How To Get Your Saturn To Stop Burning Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ok I Was Previously Using 5w30 Castrol Gtx High Mileage Oil

Since Last Oil Change I Tried Penzoil 5w30 High Mileage Oil And It Stopped It Form Burning Oil I Used To Add 3 Quarts Every Oil Change I HAVENT Added Any At All In The Last 5 Weeks I Used To Have To ADD HALF A QUART at Least Once A Week Or More Depening On How Much I Drove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
every 100 miles id add some

\holy ****!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I Spoke To A Car Repair God The Other Day Who Has A Radio Talk Show And He Said Penzoil Is One Of The Better Bigger Oil Companies Therefor Their Products Are Better!!!!

Ps Youre Welcome I Guess You Wont Be Needing That Valve Job After All?

Im The Man If Only Saturn Had Me Working For Them.. Wait Then Id Be Helping Them Rip U Guys Off

190K 1995 SL2

Last edited by livingproofofit; 07-15-2008 at 09:42 AM..

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to livingproofofit's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help livingproofofit reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
livingproofofit is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-15-2008, 09:38 AM   #2
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

Default Re: How To Get Your Saturn To Stop Burning Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

re-ring your engine..... thats about it.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 09:54 AM   #3
OnDaGround
Master Member
OnDaGround has a spectacular aura aboutOnDaGround has a spectacular aura about

1993 SC2
Default Re: How To Get Your Saturn To Stop Burning Oil!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsun View Post
re-ring your engine..... thats about it.
tis about the only way... But I wonder if they would start leaking again as the age of the new rings continued. Though it would be wonderful. I would like to get a new motor and put it in... but If i had that much money I wouldn't buy a new motor, I'd buy a new car or a supra... or something like that.

Saturnless...

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OnDaGround's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OnDaGround reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OnDaGround is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 10:53 AM   #4
Kal
Kal is on a distinguished road

1996 SL2

I use Castrol High Mileage Oil. Doesn't burn near as much, but however, I think I liked how it ran better on the Syntec Blend.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Kal's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Kal reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Kal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:21 AM   #5
madpogue
madpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to beholdmadpogue is a splendid one to behold

1996 SW2

Try a little Pennzoil on that STUCK SHIFT KEY.....

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to madpogue's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help madpogue reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
madpogue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 11:58 AM   #6
froggy81500
froggy81500 is on a distinguished road

2006 ION-2 Sedan

Items that will also stop it from burning oil: stop driving it or stop putting oil in it.

problem solved and the environment will be safer.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to froggy81500's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help froggy81500 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
froggy81500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:09 PM   #7
MiSaturn
MiSaturn is on a distinguished road

2002 SL
1991 SL2

[QUOTE=livingproofofit;1282224]I Used To Add 3 Quarts Every Oil Change I HAVENT Added Any At All In The Last 5 Weeks QUOTE]

Add straight STP and you won't bury any oil at all! Even if you can get your car to start.

And we're sure about it burning oil vs. leaking it? Can't imagine what a "high mileage" oil does differently that would make it burn less... . I can picture it swelling seals to make a "mature" engine leak less oil.

Might a heavier weight oil (10W30 or 10W40) conventional oil be a cheaper alternative?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to MiSaturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help MiSaturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
MiSaturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 03:39 PM   #8
Dr B
Dr B is on a distinguished road

1992 SL2
1993 SL2

STP is the first full syn oil that was offered ,kept many an old Chevy from losing oil pressure at operating temps, It won't burn ,or lose viscosity !
But it will scorch ,then lock up assemblys ,without some dino to flow it on through,or thin it out .

Have A Great Day , it is YOUR choice !

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Dr B's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Dr B reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Dr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2008, 05:32 PM   #9
OldNuc
OldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant futureOldNuc has a brilliant future

1998 SC2

STP is a can of VI improver and it is synthetic. VI improver=viscosity index improver.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to OldNuc's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help OldNuc reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
OldNuc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2008, 09:02 AM   #10
Bill Murray
Master Member
Bill Murray will become famous soon enough

1997 SC1
1997 SC1

Don't discount the goodness of thin oil either.
I've only lost a pint in 2000 miles using 5W20 Pennzoil yellow - 130,000 mile engine.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Bill Murray's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Bill Murray reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Bill Murray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 05:47 PM   #11
westwind999
westwind999 will become famous soon enough

1999 SL2
1999 SW1

I've been having good luck with Auto-rx. It's not an instant cure but it does make improvements without causing damage. Very well reviewed on bobistheoilguy, lots of independent tests. So far it's cost me about $40 to treat my SW1, lot's cheaper than new rings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to westwind999's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help westwind999 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
westwind999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2008, 09:51 AM   #12
ShuttlecraftX47
ShuttlecraftX47 is on a distinguished road

1993 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by livingproofofit View Post
Ok I Was Previously Using 5w30 Castrol Gtx High Mileage Oil

Since Last Oil Change I Tried Penzoil 5w30 High Mileage Oil And It Stopped It Form Burning Oil I Used To Add 3 Quarts Every Oil Change I HAVENT Added Any At All In The Last 5 Weeks I Used To Have To ADD HALF A QUART at Least Once A Week Or More Depening On How Much I Drove!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
every 100 miles id add some
Cool science that the stuff works. I guess the question is what oil to use next - do you keep using the treated oil, which some say will over-treat the gaskets, or keep using it? From what I read, what you're experiencing is likely a temporary fix, and that other gaskets throughout the engine could possibly end up worse off - ??? My 2cents is to switch back to regular oil on the next change ~

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to ShuttlecraftX47's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help ShuttlecraftX47 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
ShuttlecraftX47 is offline   Reply With Quote