SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-02-2008, 10:12 PM   #1
abruscino
abruscino is on a distinguished road

Default 1995 SL2 with EGR Valve Problem

I originally posted this 16 days ago, but the system will not allow me to respond, so I'm posting again since I worked on it since then. And I appreciate the previous responses.

Original post:

I have a '95 Saturn SL2 that has codes 32 & 33 in the computer. What happens when I drive is that when I'm coming to a stop, the idle will go up and then come down, and then settle. That's what usually happens. Although now about every 5 days, when I'm coming to a stop, the idle will go way down (and I know what's coming), be rough, and then stall. It will start right back up and continue to idle rough for about three minutes before it becomes stable again, and during that time the check engine soon light comes on. That's what happens when I'm able to pull over. If I'm able to start it up and go, then it seems to "fix" itself before I get to the next stop. Then when I turn the engine off after this has happened, and then start it back up, the check engine soon light is no longer on.

What's going on, and what do I need to do to fix this (and get rid of the codes)? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!!

Here's what I did today:

Today I cleaned the egr valve (replaced gasket), changed the spark plugs, the coolant temperature sensor (it was cracked), and the fuel filter. It is considerable better now as the idle only goes up and down very slightly now. But today it (one time) still ran rough as I came to a stop (although it didn't stall). Will the egr valve need to be replaced, or is there something else that may be causing this? Like I said it's a lot better, but the problem is still there.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to abruscino's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help abruscino reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
abruscino is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 07-02-2008, 10:29 PM   #2
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan
Default Re: 1995 SL2 with EGR Valve Problem

You may have more than one issue; the coolant sensor and the EGR valve for starters.

When you replaced the coolant sensor (good search/preventative measure) did you examine the connector to be sure it isn't corroded? If so, replace it with a connector from a junk yard air temperature connector, a pc connector and sealant, or the dealer's $30 part. Normal idling after warm-up should be 800-900rpm. 1200rpm cold start.

To isolate the EGR valve, disconnect the electrical connector and drive normally. You'll have the SES indicator but can ignore it for now. If the engine performs better than before, like night and day, then the EGR valve is faulty and either needs more TLC or replacement. The EGR valve doesn't operate at idling speed but during acceleration. If the cleaning doesn't work the erratic engine running will return when the connector is plugged back in. And there's the third possibility of something else causing the problem and not the EGR valve.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 11:56 AM   #3
brians08
brians08 is on a distinguished road

I just finished getting my 95 Saturn SL2 back to normal and the symptoms seem to be similar. (I don't have a code reader so don't know what the codes were)
I actually had two problems. First was the coolant temp sensor but that was an ongoing issue that I knew I needed to fix.
The new problem was the idle bypass actuator. This is a motor actuated plunger that controls idle speed when the throttle is closed. Mine suddenly froze in a nearly closed position so the engine would stall unless I kept my foot on the accelerator.
I replaced the idle bypass and was able to idle again although erratically. Replaced the coolant sensor and now have normal idling.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brians08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brians08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brians08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
brians08
brians08 is on a distinguished road

And by the way, If you're not sure about the bypass actuator it's not something to just "throw in" because it's expensive. $115 dealer price. I found an online parts place that claimed to have a "universal" part for $65. They wouldn't guarantee it would fit so I got the dealer part.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to brians08's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help brians08 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
brians08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2008, 01:22 PM   #5
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

The correct name of it is the idle air control valve (IACV).

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote