SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn Vue > Vue Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-04-2008, 07:25 PM   #1
Blue Goose
Blue Goose is on a distinguished road

Default How much should it cost to rplace front wheel bearing on 04 Vue V6 FWD?

Front left wheel is making the roaring noise that indicates bearing is shot...brought it to the Saturn dealer and he confirmed that the bearing is "pitted and noisy" Said "possible bearing is seized to knuckle which would cause bearing and knuckle to be replaced"

He said it was still safe to drive as there was no real play in the bearing but should be replaced....est $375 to replace the bearing and $585 if the bearing is seized to the knuckle and both need to be replaced.

Both of these sound really high to me cost wise...I'll do some comparison shopping at some local shops to get an idea...they also quoted $240 to replace the sway bar links and I know for a fact that they are 32 dollars apiece at Auto Zone and don't look all that difficult to replace.

In any event.....is it really safe to drive with the bearing sounding like that and any idea how much $$ a non dealer would charge?

Thanks

Goose

2011 Chevrolet Silverado LT 4x4

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Blue Goose's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Blue Goose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Blue Goose is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 06-04-2008, 07:48 PM   #2
newbievueowner
Advanced Member
newbievueowner is on a distinguished road

2006 VUE Red Line
Default Re: How much should it cost to rplace front wheel bearing on 04 Vue V6 FWD?

These dealer mechanics make me laugh, they seem to instill a sense of fear in the general public to get them to spend big $$$$ on repairs.

How does he know the spline is siezed on without even disassembling it? Even if it is lightly corroded there are ways to get it off without too much difficulty.

Won't really hurt to drive with the bad bearing but it will sound like crap and probably be loud as heck.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to newbievueowner's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
newbievueowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2008, 11:26 PM   #3
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L
Default Re: How much should it cost to rplace front wheel bearing on 04 Vue V6 FWD?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
In any event.....is it really safe to drive with the bearing sounding like that and any idea how much $$ a non dealer would charge?
A local Saturn shop recently quoted me $575 to do a front on my '03. I purchased a wheel hub ass'y w/ ABS from RockAuto for $112 incl. shipping. Btw - I drove a bad one for quite a while. End links are easy to do, as are the sway bar bushings.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 04:19 AM   #4
Blue Goose

Is the hub assembly the whole deal? Knuckle and bearing? Difficulty in replacing?

Goose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Blue Goose reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2008, 05:22 AM   #5
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2

From what I understand the wheel hub assembly is the bearing and housing in a sealed unit. We are going through the same thing right now. The mechanics I have talked to have told me they are safe to drive on as long as the is no play in the wheel also. But I am getting it replaced this weekend. I know Auto Zone has them for $140 w/o ABS, don't remember how much they were with ABS. A buddy of mine said it shouldn't be a problem changing it out. We are taking it to his shop and doing it.

Most shops around here all wanted between $350 and $500 per wheel.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 07:06 AM   #6
Blue Goose

Holy Carp...called 3 other places (Sullivan Tire-408, Pep Boys-367, Gurneys -470) and they are all more expensive than the dealer save Pep Boys!!

This looks like a pretty simple job save unless you need a puller I can't believe the pricing!!

Part is only like 120 from Rock Auto.....jeeesh

Goose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #7
Chazberry
Master Member
Chazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to allChazberry is a name known to all

2003 VUE 3.0L
2007 VUE 3.5L

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Goose View Post
Is the hub assembly the whole deal? Knuckle and bearing?
A photo of what you get from RockAuto (Timken Part) on this thread . . .
http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=118267
The ABS version comes with that Wheel Speed Sensor.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Chazberry's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Chazberry reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Chazberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 08:43 AM   #8
Blue Goose

Did you replace the hub yourself with regualr tools?

Goose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2008, 08:55 AM   #9
VTchemist
VTchemist has a spectacular aura aboutVTchemist has a spectacular aura about

2003 VUE 3.0L

I have had both front hubs replaced. One at the dealer$hip, and the other at a local mechanics shop. Parts for the 03 (AWD, ABS) was right at $240. They charged me $80 for labor.

The dealer$ship was a bit over $400.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to VTchemist's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help VTchemist reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
VTchemist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2008, 09:52 AM   #10
Blue Goose

Thats a good deal....I think I will go with Sullivan Tire at 408..at least they use the Timken assembly which I've heard is better than the OEM..everything is going up in price I guess

Gooose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2008, 11:41 AM   #11
Blue Goose

Check that...going with a local shop...384 for parts and labor...National something or other brand from NAPA. He will also install the sway bar links that I was going to DIY for just labor charge...(bought already at Auto Zone)

Seems like a good guy to deal with

Goose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2008, 12:13 PM   #12
newbievueowner
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

If that's $384 for both sides including parts then that's a good deal. Doing wheel bearings is not hard at all.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help newbievueowner reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 06-05-2008, 03:56 PM   #13
Blue Goose

Nope..that is for 1 side only..I guess if I had the right tools it may be easy but I unfortunately don't and with it being my wifes car, I prefer not perfect my mechanics technique lol

Like anything else, you may not be paying for the work, you are paying for the knowledge behind the work

I'll do some investigating on how it is done so when the other one goes I can DIY

Goose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:38 PM   #14
newbievueowner
Advanced Member

2006 VUE Red Line

You would be surprised to see how easy they are to do, no real special tools are required. Torque wrench, socket, breaker bar, hammer, chisel set, allen or torque drive set and a ratchet is pretty much all that is needed. I'm sure I'm missing a couple very small things but you get the idea. If you have a buddy that can fix this stuff get him to help you and show you how it's done.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-06-2008, 12:07 PM   #15
Blue Goose

Job completed and he charged an additional 78 bucks to install the sway bar links...said it was a bear to get the bearing out as something about 2 different metals? Needed a heat gun or blowtorch to get it apart....

Said it took 2 hours to do but he only charged me for 1.3...I think I may have found a new local mechanic :

Goose

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 06-07-2008, 08:49 PM   #16
andyr13
Advanced Member
andyr13 is on a distinguished road

2004 VUE 2.2L
1995 SC2

Quote:
said it was a bear to get the bearing out
That's quite the understatement!!

Quote:
something about 2 different metals?
My friend said the same thing. The hub assembly is made of steel while the knuckle is make of aluminum.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to andyr13's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help andyr13 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
andyr13 is offline   Reply With Quote