SaturnFans.com
what's new (beta) - classifieds - forums - photos

Go Back   SaturnFans.com Forums > Models > Saturn S-Series > S-Series Tech
Register FAQ Members List Groups Calendar Chat Room Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-27-2008, 12:00 PM   #1
Jenn07
Jenn07 is on a distinguished road

1994 SC1
Default Switch for Cooling Fan

Hello fellow saturn-enthusiasts

I'm hoping someone has attempted this same bypass already. My 94 SC1 has been overheating, and the problem has yet to be diagnosed, even by the dealer. The fan only comes on when everything is extremely hot (including my feet) and the car runs really rough at these extreme temperatures. So what I am trying to do, since it seems as though the relay may be where the problem is, is wire a switch in through where the relay should be. This way I would have full control over when the fan kicks in. The problem is, I am not sure what amperage the cooling fan runs at, or what the initial surge to start it would be at? I bought a switch rated for 10A and fused it at 7.5A but it blew the fuse on first trial. The problem may also lie in the placement of the wire ends within the relay. There are about 5 holes, and I'm not sure which two to use. Any help/suggestions would be truly appreciated with summer and it's heat headed this way!

Cheerz,
Jenn

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Jenn07's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Jenn07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Jenn07 is offline   Reply With Quote
SaturnFans.com Sponsored Links
Old 04-27-2008, 12:09 PM   #2
tarsun
Advanced Member
tarsun is on a distinguished road

Default Re: Switch for Cooling Fan

and then i ran the 2 wires to a switch... thats it. works great. fan still comes on with the ac too.

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to tarsun's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
tarsun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 12:40 PM   #3
Jenn07

1994 SC1

Thanks for the post! I am just wondering: Did you fuse the system at all? What gauge wire did you use, and what amperage was the switch rated for?

My relay has five sockets available - do you have any idea how this would compare with yours?

Thanks again!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Jenn07 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2008, 08:24 PM   #4
tarsun
Advanced Member

no
dont know
dont know
dont know

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help tarsun reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-27-2008, 10:32 PM   #5
Diablo_ve
Diablo_ve is on a distinguished road

1999 SC1
Wrench Re: Switch for Cooling Fan

Here is a picture
Attached Images
File Type: jpg relay answer.JPG (23.8 KB, 62 views)

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Diablo_ve's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Diablo_ve reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Diablo_ve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2008, 10:34 PM   #6
fdryer
fdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant futurefdryer has a brilliant future

2003 L-Series 3.0L Sedan

A dealer that can't figure out an overheating problem may not be a future choice for other repairs. What else can they not figure out? Maybe time to look elsewhere for another repair shop that can.

As a newbie, you'll have to research this site for all the maladies associated with overheating including replacement of the radiator if the car has over 100k miles. Anyone use sealer that may be blocking off parts of the radiator leading to overheating? Thermostat ever replaced in its lifetime? As a rule, most S-series turns on their cooling fan when just next to the redline. If you know your cooling system has been maintained properly including replacing hoses, etc., as necessary then you can search for the fan switch mod that was done years ago along with the wiring diagram to manually run the fan at any time without interrupting normal operation. I believe the mod is simply grounding the signal side of the fan relay (which makes it easier to use a small switch for switching a ground) as 12v is always sitting on one side of the relay coil, waiting for a ground signal from the PCM to enable the relay. Enabling the relay closes a set of contacts that sends 12v to the fan. Without studying the wiring I don't know if the SES light will turn on with this mod though I think it shouldn't. Search around for the mod.

*The CPS is the heart of the entire EFI system. No cps = dead EFI system*
*There's more to a/c than just a few cans of refrigerant*
*There's more to brakes than just replacing parts*

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to fdryer's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help fdryer reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
fdryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:28 AM   #7
Firehawk_1989
Firehawk_1989 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1993 SL2

there are a few ways to do the switch. you could wire from pins 30 and 87 to a switch (doesn't matter the rating, its very low current draw since its just the relay) or you can ground a wire, to the switch than to either pin 85 or 86, whichever one DOESN'T have 12V going to it. I can't remember which one Saturns use as hot...

2002 SC2 Manual
1993 SL2 Manual (sold :'-( )
1989 Firebird

http://www.dailychoosings.blogspot.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firehawk_1989's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firehawk_1989 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firehawk_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:35 AM   #8
wolfman
wolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of lightwolfman is a glorious beacon of light

Or...you could simply do a SEARCH of the boards which would have found you the directions posted here: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/sho...ght=fan+switch

Which have been on the site for 5 years now....

Old Saturns never die, people KILL them, so check your damn oil!
"Unthinking respect for authority is the greatest enemy of truth." Albert Einstein

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to wolfman's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help wolfman reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
wolfman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 12:37 AM   #9
Firehawk_1989
Firehawk_1989 is on a distinguished road

2002 SC2
1993 SL2

sorry, i was just trying to help.

2002 SC2 Manual
1993 SL2 Manual (sold :'-( )
1989 Firebird

http://www.dailychoosings.blogspot.com

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Firehawk_1989's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Firehawk_1989 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Firehawk_1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 09:18 AM   #10
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Or you can wire it up using a relay. That way you dont get a SES light, a code 26 or over use the factory relay.

To be able to turn the fan on anytime.

Or to be able to turn the fan on when the keys are in the ignition.

Mike

-1991 Turbo SL2 - Gone, but not forgotten.
11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban
-2011 Rally Yellow Chevrolet Camaro 2SS RS

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to Low Saturn's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Low Saturn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2008, 03:34 PM   #11
tarsun
Advanced Member

the way iu did it i DONT get the ses light... and i know the light works too

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-28-2008, 03:44 PM   #12
Low Saturn
Low Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to beholdLow Saturn is a splendid one to behold

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarsun View Post
the way iu did it i DONT get the ses light... and i know the light works too
What year is your Saturn?

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Rate the quality of this post and help Low Saturn reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
Old 04-29-2008, 11:58 AM   #13
benw82
benw82 is on a distinguished road

has anyone done this mod but figured out a way to have it turn off when the car is turned off?? thanks!!

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to benw82's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help benw82 reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
benw82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2008, 12:09 PM   #14
Low Saturn

2008 AURA XE

Quote:
Originally Posted by benw82 View Post
has anyone done this mod but figured out a way to have it turn off when the car is turned off?? thanks!!

Look at my post above, then look at the second image.

Mike

11.809 @ 116.488 mph
www.differentracing.com

-2001 Chevrolet Suburban

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:02 PM   #15
tarsun
Advanced Member

i have a 97 sl 5spd with an sc2 engine

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Old 04-29-2008, 09:44 PM   #16
2NDSOUT
Master Member
2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about2NDSOUT has a spectacular aura about

1994 SL2
1997 SW2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenn07 View Post
Hello fellow saturn-enthusiasts

I'm hoping someone has attempted this same bypass already. My 94 SC1 has been overheating, and the problem has yet to be diagnosed, even by the dealer. The fan only comes on when everything is extremely hot (including my feet) and the car runs really rough at these extreme temperatures. So what I am trying to do, since it seems as though the relay may be where the problem is, is wire a switch in through where the relay should be. This way I would have full control over when the fan kicks in. The problem is, I am not sure what amperage the cooling fan runs at, or what the initial surge to start it would be at? I bought a switch rated for 10A and fused it at 7.5A but it blew the fuse on first trial. The problem may also lie in the placement of the wire ends within the relay. There are about 5 holes, and I'm not sure which two to use. Any help/suggestions would be truly appreciated with summer and it's heat headed this way!

Cheerz,
Jenn

Jenn, just curious...what is your mileage right now on your 94 Saturn? From your avitar looks as if you have rolled over 400,000 miles.

I'd like to know what your current mileage is on your 94?

Bryan

94 SL2 225K Miles
97 SW2 255K Miles

Garaged
94 SL2 HCE, "Pearl"

Never Forget
94 SC1 340,501 Miles
Original Engine/Auto Trans
02/97-10/08
Gone 03/12

92 SL1
05 VUE
91 SC

REWARD EXCELLENCE!

Add to 2NDSOUT's Reputation
Rate the quality of this post and help 2NDSOUT reputation points. Click the reputation button near the bottom left corner of this message box. Thank you!
2NDSOUT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2008, 06:07 PM   #17
Jenn07

1994 SC1

Hey Bryan!

I actually just hit 421 this weekend I've been pretty impressed with the little car overall - I bought in 2002 as a first car and it has been my only vehicle since. It is a 5 speed SC1, everything is original except for the exhaust and all audio components Looks like you have a nice little collection of Saturns going yourself - Good to see!

She's definitely starting to run rough though...... at low RPM she vibrates like crazy. And now I am getting to the point where I am changing the oil nearly every weekend...... Gets expensive!

But I have always ran VPower fuel and have been running synthetic oil for the past 6 months or so. Very slowly I am losing her - one component at a time. It's so sad

How have your little ones treated you?

REWARD EXCELLENCE!